Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does observance of Tisha B'Av really change anyone?
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:11 pm
On a practical level, if someone is having trouble connecting to tisha b'av, IMO take it down from the highly theoretical (ie the 'how might life be dramatically different if...') to the practical history. What happened, at what stage of fighting. Maybe it's just me, but hearing that made it hard not to draw parallels to the Holocaust and other more recent historical events that it's easier to connect to.

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does observance of Tisha B'Av really change anyone? Im middle aged, and I know not all changes can be "seen" yadayadayada, but I havent seen any changes in anyone.

OK but... compared to what?

Meaning, you're seeing the version of them that did observe Tisha B'Av, but you don't have a version that didn't observe Tisha B'Av to compare to. You can't just assume that nonobservance = no change. Maybe nonobservance = a slow but steady decline in Jewish affiliation, and observance = no change. Just as one example.

And then, there's also the issue that logically, you wouldn't expect observance of this one day to make a huge change in people's behavior. Change is hard, one, and two - if Tisha B'Av changes something in people, I'd expect it to make them slightly wiser where history is concerned, and with a slightly stronger feeling of a shared Jewish destiny. Not unimportant things, but also things that would be really hard to see.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does observance of Tisha B'Av really change anyone? Im middle aged, and I know not all changes can be "seen" yadayadayada, but I havent seen any changes in anyone.

They go through the motions today, trying to picture the desecration of the Temples, and what life could be like when we have the Geulah, but I dont see any differences when the day is over.

Please inspire me with details, if you HAVE seen people change by observance of Tisha B'Av.

Aside from fast days, what HAS changed people for the better, in any way, making them more observant, more spiritual, more giving, less materialistic....?

tia

Listening to the Tisha b’Av programs have given me new perspectives and changed me for the better. Not judging people so quickly, trying to get along better, realizing my own worth and the part I play as a component of klal Yisroel…

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:36 pm
I was on a zoom meeting of a shul I go to where our Rav and another Rav (which happens to be a good friend of my husband) explained the kinnos. My husband's friend had an inspiring story which of course was nice but it didn't get to me. Our Rav is my parent's age, he cried when he mentioned how touched he was a little kid to see survivors of the holocaust in his shul in Stamford Hill feeling the intense mourning and grief they had... and he cried for a few minutes. I've never seen him cry I was touched to see that.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:46 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I was on a zoom meeting of a shul I go to where our Rav and another Rav (which happens to be a good friend of my husband) explained the kinnos. My husband's friend had an inspiring story which of course was nice but it didn't get to me. Our Rav is my parent's age, he cried when he mentioned how touched he was a little kid to see survivors of the holocaust in his shul in Stamford Hill feeling the intense mourning and grief they had... and he cried for a few minutes. I've never seen him cry I was touched to see that.

Seeing someone you respect moved to tears is very meaningful.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note