Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
S/O How do people eat meat and chicken after a fast?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:44 pm
It's so heavy on the body after not eating for so long. I'm taking about all fasts not tisha bav.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's so heavy on the body after not eating for so long. I'm taking about all fasts not tisha bav.

My husband does it….I really don’t understand it.

hodeez

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:45 pm
IDK we just do 🤷 our Sephardi stomachs react worse to dairy

amother
Butterscotch

I agree, though all the males in my family do it. I only found out last night that they can't eat fleish tonight, so now I need to make them supper....

amother
Steelblue

I do it. No issue.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:51 pm
We only do it after Yom Kippur
We have honey cake and challah and honey first
Then chicken soup, chicken etc

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:53 pm
I don’t understand it either but my husband doesn’t have a problem with it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:54 pm
hodeez wrote:
IDK we just do 🤷 our Sephardi stomachs react worse to dairy
I thought it was Ashkenazi who have lactose intolerant, not Sephardi

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:54 pm
I'm in the mood of chicken soup. Not sure it's allowed though

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:55 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
I'm in the mood of chicken soup. Not sure it's allowed though

Ask your rav. I was told I could as long as there were no actual pieces of chicken in it.

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:01 pm
I think the male digestive system works different LOL . My husband is hungry and wants to eat a proper meal. I personally can't stomach more then a peice of cheesecake/chocolate.

srbmom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:36 pm
I was going to start a thread just like this!

Even the males in my house don't eat meat after a fast - ever.
I was wondering why people can't just wait until tomorrow for fleishigs? I guess different people enjoy different things

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:52 pm
Every body is different. Just because you have a delicate stomach-- or a mind that rebels at the idea though your gut may be perfectly
capable--doesn't mean your way is "right" and there's something wrong with those who don't have the same limitation.

A lot of this is cultural. Look at all the national cuisines that feature meat at breakfast. When being fleshik is not an issue, why not? After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Last edited by zaq on Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:54 pm
zaq wrote:
Every body is different. Just because you have a delicate stomach-- or a mind that rebels at the idea though your gut may be perfectly
capable--doesn't mean your way is "right" and there's something wrong with those who don't have the same limitation.

Who said anything about right or wrong? Some of us just can’t fathom such a thought.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:54 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
We only do it after Yom Kippur
We have honey cake and challah and honey first
Then chicken soup, chicken etc

We do the same plus we have a whole bunch of people over so I need a lot food.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 8:22 pm
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
Who said anything about right or wrong? Some of us just can’t fathom such a thought.

And many more people can't fathom doing many of the things we take for granted. Like...taking in no food or water for 25 hours on one of the hottest days of the year or climbing five or six flights of stairs on our day of "rest." Some can't fathom not eating shellfish, others can't fathom praying for the return of a form of worship that involves slaughtering animals, and still others can't fathom eating animal flesh at all.

We all think what we do is normal, sensible and logical, and can't imagine why anyone would do things differently. It's all cultural.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 8:43 pm
zaq wrote:
And many more people can't fathom doing many of the things we take for granted. Like...taking in no food or water for 25 hours on one of the hottest days of the year or climbing five or six flights of stairs on our day of "rest." Some can't fathom not eating shellfish, others can't fathom praying for the return of a form of worship that involves slaughtering animals, and still others can't fathom eating animal flesh at all.

We all think what we do is normal, sensible and logical, and can't imagine why anyone would do things differently. It's all cultural.

I really think you’re overthinking her intent. I think it’s more “you haven’t eaten for 24 hours, how is it not too heavy?” That’s all. Plain and simple. Why do people complain during the days? Because dairy and parve is not as heavy as meat, and therefore not as filling. So now, she’s asking how can one eat something so heavy after not eating for so long? How are people able to do it?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 9:27 pm
Whats the OU Halacha of eating chicken or meat after a Nidcha Tisha BAv?

Reality

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 11:31 pm
My family prefers to break our fast on fleishig food. I find chicken to be much lighter then many of the cheesy dishes people eat after a fast. Grilled chicken with a salad is light. Or chicken soup with the chicken is a full meal without being heavy.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:49 am
My guess is that it's more about the convenience of serving left-overs rather than preparing a new meal. I really couldn't have sat down to a meat meal. But then again, we're not allowed to until tomorrow so it's not an option anyhow.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note