Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kids always in living room

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:00 pm
My kids have their own room and a basement to play in. for some reason they’re always playing in the living room. I don’t mind when they do this on shabbos but I need to space sometimesand especially on a day like today I need quiet. What is reasonable time period to expect that a kid can play in the room for kids 8 and 10. I’ll tell them please play in your room. They’ll come out after 25 minutes. Is this normal?

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:02 pm
Can you go to your room for quiet?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Can you go to your room for quiet?

I guess so and I usually do but is it age appropriate to have this as a request. Please play in your rooms and how long?

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:05 pm
Yes it’s normal- often kids like to be together and in the center of things rather than isolated in their rooms.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:06 pm
I don’t know any kids who play in their room for more than 10-20 minutes unless the room is huge and they have a friend or two with them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:06 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Yes it’s normal- often kids like to be together and in the center of things rather than isolated in their rooms.

I hear. I’m in introvert and need lots of space.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:09 pm
25 min sounds pretty good to me.

Another vote for going to your own room for space. I don't think it's so nice to kick kids out of a common area of the house.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:09 pm
Its very normal for kids this age to want to play together, near the main hub of the house, and hanging around a parent. If I needed space, I would take space by going to my room for a bit (which I do sometimes). I wouldn't ask my kids to play in their rooms for very long periods of time to get my space. It's not fair to them.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:11 pm
Make their rooms and the basement more enticing. My kids love the basement it’s brightly painted, organized well and stocked with things they love. They can spend hours down there.

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:15 pm
They want to be wherever you are. So they will not stay in their rooms for very long. Maybe you can go to the playroom and do your own thing on the side and they will play there. (Do you have a couch there?) Leaving you alone but at least you’re near them.

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:24 pm
So funny. My kids all gravitate to the kitchen.

Make your room an oasis of calm and walk away from the chaos if you need to.

kenz

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:30 pm
Wait a few years and you’ll be wishing they’d come out of their rooms for a while. As others said, if you need quiet, try to find a place you can go rather than kick others out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children