Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Painting a freezer

Chanie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 11:02 am
I just bought a used freezer.. inside is in perfect condition, the outside is a bit rusty (I bought it for only $40, so I figured I couldn't be too choosy)
Does anyone have any experience with painting appliances? what type of paint do you use? I did a google search and I found a paint called Rustoleum.. is that he right thing? How long does such a paint take to dry?
Thanks for your help.

Rivk

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 2:08 pm
You need to get off all the rust before you paint it because otherwise it will continue to corrode underneath the paint. You can buy some sand paper, or if it's a big area a sanding machine would be better. Then sand it down till all the rust is off. Make sure it is a smooth area with no dust or bumps and apply a primer coat of paint - rustoleum is paint designed for use on metal so it's perfect for this job. Then a couple coats of regular rustoleum paint should do it. You may want to seal it with clear varnish fo durability. No, I don't do this for a living! It is a hobby though - I have painted old furniture with beautiful results and I really get a sense of satisfaction from it. Good luck!

StayHomeMom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 2:15 pm
www.hgtv.com
has alot of diy projects even videos,
good luck!

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 5:00 pm
Quote:
because otherwise it will continue to corrode underneath the paint

Aha Now that makes sense. Tongue Out U see I tried to do that on an old car of ours years ago but never thought of getting rust removed first Rolling Eyes

ElTam

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 7:50 pm
Ask at the store (home depot or whatever) but I would think a spray paint works best on metal. You'll definitely have to get all the rust off first.

You might call an autobody shop and see if they paint stuff other than cars and how much they would charge you to do it.

Rivk

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 8:07 pm
Rustoleum makes spray paint too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics