Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
What makes you notice an ad?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:38 am
Wasn’t sure if I should put this under working women or here.

What about an ad might scream out at you and make you look or on the other hand, not look? I’m making ads and want people to notice. I’m not taking any classes because I’m doing it for me.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:20 am
Sufficient white space to process the info.
Proper proportions.
Snappy headline.

hodeez

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:21 am
A really good pun

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:23 am
Not too many fonts.
Not too many sizes.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:26 am
I'm a designer but I won't even give you any design answers.

What I believe matters most is if a post contains content that is interesting or helpful to me.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:27 am
Simple and clever. Too much graphics has the opposite effect on me.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:31 am
Spelling or grammar errors will definitely make me run a mile

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:00 am
A beautiful picture of the product

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:02 am
Less is more.
Short obvious text about what they are selling.
Company name somewhere on the page.
Pretty picture on a clean space

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:08 am
Readable fonts. Large enough fonts if your target audience is older. Similarly, reverses (light type on a dark ground) are hard to read in small or delicate fonts. And type on top of a picture is often difficult to read.

Clarity in writing. No spelling errors. No hyphenations or bad line breaks.

Not too busy.

Contact info should be clear and easy to spot.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:16 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
A beautiful picture of the product

Can I add to this? A beautiful picture of the actual products, not A picture from a photo bank of something similar. For example, if you are selling cheesecakes, have professional pictures of your cheesecakes taken and use that. Do not take pictures of somebody else’s cheesecakes to portray your item.

There is an ad in the Jewish magazines advertising to fill a position. They have been advertising for a long time now… The picture in the ad is a photo of a random lake with ducks, the verbiage is vague and unprofessional. The whole thing is really odd, considering it’s an org with enough funding to make a decent ad and known for it’s great reputation. Prospective applicants may be getting turned off by the ad alone.

Last edited by watergirl on Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:37 am
If it's something I need or strongly want. I'm otherwise not so easily swayed.

I like when there is a lot of information because I don't always like to call if I'm unsure it will be relevant.

A general piece of advice, have your logo large enough to be noticed and in proportion to the rest of the ad. Sometimes you have to search for it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:42 am
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Went back and and redid it. Smile

Camelback

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:21 am
I mostly dislike ads, because mostly they are not for things or services I need.
That's why I find it so important to target ads correctly to those people who are interested in the product or service that is proposed.

To me the rule is: the less I notice an ad, the more favorably I will judge it. There is almost no way for me to get a favorable impression from an ad.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:31 am
A major pet peeve of mine is when an ad is placed in a publication which serves a large audience in many locations, yet the ad does not mention where the event/program/product/store is located. The reader is supposed to guess or assume. If you are placing an ad in a Brooklyn only, regional publication then it's obvious the ad is for a Brooklyn thing. If it's in Mishpacha/Ami/Binah, it MUST say where the item is located.

I remember there was once an ad for a camp that looked like it would be a great fit for one of my kids. It did not list a location but there was a phone number and the area code was for a city very close to where I lived. I was so excited, I called the number and asked for an application and more information about what I could tell from the ad was for an overnight camp in the city near me. The women was so rude, and she was shocked that I did not realize somehow it was actually a day camp in a totally different city. The phone number was just a random google number. She and the camp apparently just assumed anyone who looked at the ad would just KNOW what it was for. This ad continued to run for the season and then the next few summers they kept the same MO. It is very odd to me when people do that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media