Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why is it “cool” to not go swimming in camp?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:05 am
I forced my 8 yo dd to bring her swimwear to camp, when she says she won’t be going anyway. She loves swimming, but she says this pools too crowded and she’ll sit with friends and shmooze instead. My older son was like that too in camp, but I didn’t think it starts at 8! It’s such a hot day, and she loves swimming. Makes no sense to me!
I told her to just bring her stuff so if she wants to, she can go. I said all her friends may go, as they couldn’t go the past week. But just wondering, why is it cool to not swim?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:14 am
As kids start to develop they are embarrassed. Nowadays it starts at 8. Also changing is hard and annoying. I don’t think it’s cool it’s about not wanting to overcome the hurdles.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:15 am
I don’t know if it’s not cool.
My kids also never liked to swim at camp. They said the pool is cold and crowded and gross. We do have a pool at home so I guess it isn’t particularly exciting to swim at camp.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:18 am
Puberty and periods.
Kids don’t know about tampons, are embarrassed of their bodies, and pretend they don’t want to go.
When you pay for a private pool on a random Sunday, just for family, I am sure they are very excited to go.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:21 am
I hated going swimming when I was in day camp. There was no space to really enjoy being in the pool because there were so many bunks in the pool at the same time. The deep end was small and crowded, the shallow was bigger but still crowded….

sushilover

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:22 am
I think her reasons are valid. Would you want to swim in a crowded pool full of splashing kids?
As we used to say in camp, "too many kneidlach and not enough soup." LOL

chanar

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:28 am
My kids love swimming too.. but they do not swim in camp! I think it’s a mix of having to change/get dressed again, it’s uncomfortable for kids to do it behind a towel or in a dirty bathroom.. and the swim itself isn’t fun. I used to be bothered by it but I got over it! I let them be! They will swim any other time!

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:28 am
My son says because it’s impossible to get into and out of his bathing suit, stuff falls on the floor and gets wet, the pool is crowded and he’s afraid to take the deep water test.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:32 am
I remember hating swimming at camp too. But it depends on the changing situation. One year we had to change outside, right around the pool. Tons of kids everywhere. People stepping on everyone else stuff. All my clothes getting yucky and wet. Trying to change back while sticky and wet but not flashing the world. You better believe I never swam with that setup.

Another year and another camp, we had many private bathrooms. Things were clean. Not over crowded. I swam every single time!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:04 am
She used to go daily. Then suddenly stopped. That’s why I thought it didn’t have to do with changing situation. She also would’ve said if that was the reason. She just said it’s crowded and not enjoyable. We do have our own pool, and she could be in it 24/7 if it were up to her. I guess camps pool isn’t too exciting then

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:14 am
My easy going 6 year old boy doesn't like swimming in camp, and he usually can be in the pool for hours. For him, the stalls are disgusting to change in, and he won't change in public like some of his friends.
My preteen girl says it's only worth it if they have double swim with only their age group. Otherwise it takes too long to change and the pool is packed.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:58 pm
My kids wear two piece bathing suits under their clothing. That way there is no changing into bathing suits. Only changing afterwards. Doesn't solve the problem completely but definitely makes things better.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:21 pm
My older kids don't usually swim in camp for the same reason. It's too crowded so it's not fun, and they don't think it's worth the hassle of changing under those circumstances. My younger one who hangs out only in the shallow still enjoys it.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:32 pm
My five year old does not like going to the pool with her day camp because she says everyone splashes...

emi1812

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:58 pm
In addition to the overcrowding, the pools that camps use are often filthy 🤢 none of us would want to swim in that either!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries