Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Warm loving high school NY/NJ for sweet At risk Teen

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:03 pm
Looking for recommendations for a high school with an accepting, loving vibe, geared for girls struggling spiritually.
She's a sweet respectful girl that needs another chance, done with love. Preferably in NY/NJ. Thank you.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:07 pm
Look in to Nefesh academy in flatbush ave U.
I dont have first hand experience but I heard that they cater to this clientele.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:11 pm
Shalva high school in Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:09 pm
Will check them out. Thanks so much

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:48 pm
Don't have first hand knowledge about the school but Yotser Ohr(lakewood newish school)is also an option.
(There's also Lapidot in lakewood, from my understanding for girls a little further away from yiddishkeit/more rebellious but I can be wrong)

givelove

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:12 pm
Maayan Bais Yaakov is a small boarding school in Jackson. I personally know the person who started it, and she's really warm and has a lot of experience

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:45 pm
Check out Shalsheles in Brooklyn.

Did Ohr Naava (R. Wallerstein) open a High School?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:48 pm
You may want to look into Shalsheles BY in Boro Park- they have students from this background. I've worked there- definitely a warm loving place, they do a world of good for their students.

shimos16

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 12:58 pm
I work for PROJECT EXTREME, a non profit that provides innovative programs and solutions for Jewish teens at risk and their families. Please feel free to reach out. shira@projectextreme.org

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:18 pm
Rabbi Wallerstein opened a school like that in Flatbush. Forgot what it’s called..

shimos16

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:33 pm
Bnot Chaya Academy (BCA). Rabbi Unger is the principal there now.

zuzana

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:46 am
I recommend Bnos Chomesh Academy (Also BCA! But a different one..) in Crown Hts, Brooklyn. Very small classes, very supportive. The girls there are very special. The director, Dena Gorkin, is remarkable in her dedication to teaching girls on the edge of the community.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:32 pm
zuzana wrote:
I recommend Bnos Chomesh Academy (Also BCA! But a different one..) in Crown Hts, Brooklyn. Very small classes, very supportive. The girls there are very special. The director, Dena Gorkin, is remarkable in her dedication to teaching girls on the edge of the community.

First time I've seen anyone but myself mention this school on here! I totally agree. I have a daughter who's there and is now semi-lubavitch (not even close to our background) and loves telling us all about the rebbe's sichos and different ideas in chassidus. I love it, and the important thing is that she frum, has an authentic connection to judaism, and is happier than she's ever been. Totally recommend the school.

zuzana

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:44 pm
Hi Nicole81 - Yes, absolutely all of that. What the original questioner asked for was 100% what they are: "for girls who need a second chance." I feel that that describes so many of the girls. I was warned that I'd be sending my daughter to a school for "bad girls", but it was not that at all. The school is indeed filled with girls who have experienced true challenges in their lives, but not necessarily more so that the average population --it's just that at BCA they do not brush anything under the rug. It's all out there to be discussed and dealt with, in a very refreshing and healthy way. I'm so glad that my daughter switched to Bnos Chomesh and graduated from there. And yes, you do not have to be Lubavitch to be there.

ima19

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 6:31 pm
Nefesh High School
Now caters to girls who need more than what a regular Bais Yaakov school offers. Sounds like what you might be looking for.

I know girls from Flatbush/boro park who have gone there.
A friend from Lakewoods daughter used to travel in to Nefesh every day…
Heard a lot of nice things about that school. Hear that they have caring and understanding staff.
Have seen that they really do good work.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 6:43 pm
ima19 wrote:
Nefesh High School
Now caters to girls who need more than what a regular Bais Yaakov school offers. Sounds like what you might be looking for.

I know girls from Flatbush/boro park who have gone there.
A friend from Lakewoods daughter used to travel in to Nefesh every day…
Heard a lot of nice things about that school. Hear that they have caring and understanding staff.
Have seen that they really do good work.

Yes another great recommendation. Mrs. Gorkin from Bnos Chomesh suggested my child go to Nefesh instead bc we're not lubavitch and she said they basically do the same work and are equivalent schools. My daughter has a love for chassidus, however, and she insisted on BCA. But if Mrs. Gorkin recommends them, I'd trust they're wonderful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children