Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any communities in Washington besides Seattle?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:44 am
Anyone know if there are any Jews living in Washington, besides for Seattle? I know there are chabads in other places, but are there any communities too?

doctorima

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 11:58 am
Not that I'm aware of, would be very happy to find out I'm wrong

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 12:12 pm
There's a small community in Mercer Island.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:00 pm
Seattle has a lovely community. There is a Sephardic community, an Ashkenazi community, and the Chabad community. It's -- in my opinion -- the most gorgeous place in America and the nicest community.

Not_in_my_town

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:02 pm
I think it's basically just Seattle in which there is diversity. Spread out over WA are other shluchim, all related to Rabbi Levitan of Seattle, I believe.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 1:17 pm
Yes Seattle is beautiful and the community is lovely. I'm just curious if there are other communities in Washington state, particularly because Seattle is so expensive.

amother
Hyssop

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 2:23 pm
I think Olympia, Tacoma and Bainbridge Island also all have small communities.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:13 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:

Interesting, are they actual communities or just the chabad Rabbis and their families?

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:54 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:

How do they compare to say, Portland? Are they stable?

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:48 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
How do they compare to say, Portland? Are they stable?

No comparison. Portland has a school, a kollel, and a growing Jewish community. Outside of Seattle, there is nothing comparable in Washington state.

GLUE

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:59 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
No comparison. Portland has a school, a kollel, and a growing Jewish community. Outside of Seattle, there is nothing comparable in Washington state.

Just out of curiosity, I was reading a few years ago in a non-Jewish source, that Portland OR. has run out of affordability housing. So if you want affordable housing you have to go to Vancouver WA.

Is the Jewish community shifting that way?
Is there affordable housing in the Jewish part of town?

skyeblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:27 pm
I would be afraid to move to Washington. I recently read an article where it mentioned that the hospitals there were pushing for s-x change surgery for minors. "The age at which minors in the State of Washington can receive mental health and gender-affirming care without parental permission is 13." And they can strip parents of rights if the parents don't go along with this.

Here's the article:
https://www.city-journal.org/t.....ights

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:37 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Seattle has a lovely community. There is a Sephardic community, an Ashkenazi community, and the Chabad community. It's -- in my opinion -- the most gorgeous place in America and the nicest community.

I agree!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:49 pm
skyeblue wrote:
I would be afraid to move to Washington. I recently read an article where it mentioned that the hospitals there were pushing for s-x change surgery for minors. "The age at which minors in the State of Washington can receive mental health and gender-affirming care without parental permission is 13." And they can strip parents of rights if the parents don't go along with this.

Here's the article:

terrifying
yes would definitely not move to such a state

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting, are they actual communities or just the chabad Rabbis and their families?

Tacoma, I believe is just a Chabad family.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:07 am
skyeblue wrote:

Here's the article:

I used to live in Seattle, and DD still keeps in touch with many of the girls she grew up with. Girls with good, frum homes.

She told me the other day that about half of them are using they/them pronouns, several are going by male names, and three of them are transitioning. She says that their families and the Jewish community are very accepting of the girls. (She doesn't know what/how the boys are doing. I assume it's probably the same for them.)

On the other hand, DD is dating a wonderful boy who doesn't believe in relations before marriage. They've been going to church together for 4 months now.

Pick your poison, I guess. Sad

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:50 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I used to live in Seattle, and DD still keeps in touch with many of the girls she grew up with. Girls with good, frum homes.

She told me the other day that about half of them are using they/them pronouns, several are going by male names, and three of them are transitioning. She says that their families and the Jewish community are very accepting of the girls. (She doesn't know what/how the boys are doing. I assume it's probably the same for them.)

On the other hand, DD is dating a wonderful boy who doesn't believe in relations before marriage. They've been going to church together for 4 months now.

Pick your poison, I guess. Sad

Oh my. It is so scary what this world is coming to. I'm so sorry for your pain about your daughter.
Is she willing to listen to why Christianity cannot possibly be truth? I can direct you to good resources.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:04 am
I believe there’s something in Spokane, but I don’t know if it’s just some people or an actual small community

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:07 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Oh my. It is so scary what this world is coming to. I'm so sorry for your pain about your daughter.
Is she willing to listen to why Christianity cannot possibly be truth? I can direct you to good resources.

I have a million sources, and she knows them as well. I don't think this is so much about Jeezuz per se, and a lot more about the fact that the church totally accepts her, and her boyfriend's family adores her. She can go to this church with green hair and a nose piercing, and nobody even bats an eye. She can wear pants or short sleeves, and not be judged. The old ladies think she's as cute as a button.

IMHO, if your kid is not "in the box", if your community shuns them for being different, if your community is not warm and accepting, if they don't have a youth or teen program on Shabbos, THIS is what you can look forward to.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:01 am
amother [ NeonPink ] wrote:
I believe there’s something in Spokane, but I don’t know if it’s just some people or an actual small community

Pretty sure Spokane only has a chabad, not an actual community.

Does Vancouver WA have frum Jews living there aside from the chabad? It definitely looks cheaper than Portland, and I assume people who live there would be able to send their kids to the school in Portland as it's pretty close by.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating