Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any other option than the OR for 3 year old with cavities
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:16 pm
I live in Brooklyn went to two dentists. They both feel best bet is taking my 3 year old to the OR . He has 6 visible cavities and this is without X-rays. I’m nervous , especially they told me they intubate during anesthesia. Anyone have any other ideas less invasive. They mentioned a medication but doesn’t always work , and with so many cavities haveto come back few times.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:42 pm
Why can't they just be filled with multiple appointments?

You just gotta bear it and bribe with ice cream. BH, my 3 year old had only 1. They didn't do x-rays. They said it's not necessary at this age.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:49 pm
If they are not specifically pediatric dentists than first see a pediatric dentist.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:51 pm
My son had a procedure done for something else when he was 2 and I remember the doctor saying the car trip to get to the hospital is more risky than the anesthesia. Unless he’s a very cooperative kid you likely will need to put him out.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:53 pm
I think DD was a little older but basically had "baby bottle mouth" e.g. all teeth bad because her teeth sat in milk for 3 years (but never a bottle!!!!)

I sat & told her stories & relaxation exercises & who knows what. They were so impressed they wanted to hire me!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:21 pm
Try to find a dentist that uses laser for cavities
Dr Kotlow in Albany does.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:24 pm
Oh my! I’m going they the exact same thing now with my 5 yr old. She has major anxiety and they told me the easiest thing would be to go into OR and she won’t remember it and everything will be done at once. I feel it is such a drastic step. Wondering if there is a dentist that specializes in hard toddlers/preschoolers.

DreamerForever

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:31 pm
In England there are some practices that offer sedation as an alternative to the OR. It is a very light induced 'sleep' which they are 'under' for around 30-40 mins. Recovery afterwards is way less scary than waking up from general anaesthetic. Is this an option in the US?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:35 pm
My child had a Valium to help her get through it.

But when it wore off she was super difficult (which is common).

I wish I had realized and had my spouse with me too to help me get her to the car afterwards.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:45 pm
We used a pediatric dentist in New brunswick that put my son in a light sleep with an oral medicine (I think, it was a while ago)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:55 pm
So they told me about this oral medicine and she made it sound like it’s not smart option isn’t always good… I don’t remember what she said. I went to two pediatric dentists. My son is 3 but don’t think the calm type who would sit if I talk him through it. The type of kid that can’t sit for more then few min and touches everything .

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:10 pm
See a good pediatric dentist
Who uses “laughing gas”
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:34 pm
Try dr gindi
Avenue u
Pediatric dentistry
He uses laughing gas
+1 718-375-1700

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:09 pm
My 3 yr old just had anesthesia for a lot of work in her mouth. I was also quite nervous and hesitant, but BH it was great. We live in CT, so we were sent to CCMC (Connecticut children's medical center), super kid friendly, amazing staff, BH was a very positive experience. We were so relieved when it was all over, and everything was done at once! (I'm talking cavities, route canals with silver crowns, and a tooth pulled. We didn't know going in how much had to be done..)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:17 pm
Anyone else have any other ideas or amazing dentists that would work with a 3 year old Brooklyn area

devorah1231

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:34 pm
I took my dd when she was 4, she squirmed a lot and the filling failed. Putting her out may be best.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 28 2022, 11:35 pm
I was ok about putting my child out… but then on the phone they told me they put a breathing tube down the throat, that freaked me out

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 12:11 am
amother OP wrote:
I was ok about putting my child out… but then on the phone they told me they put a breathing tube down the throat, that freaked me out

That would freak me out too. I have an appointment with a new dentist this week for my 9 year old who needs a few root canals and a few teeth pulled. He is uncooperative at the dentist so I have no choice and have to look into other options. Laughing gas was not effective for him so I will see what the options are. I really hope that putting him out is only with an iv. You’re scaring me about the tube.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 12:13 am
I just remembered that I took a different child to a dentist who put kids to sleep with a drink that knocked them out. I’m not a fan of that but it might be an option for you.

losingweight

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 1:34 am
I did it fo rmy kids with in office sedation and in the OR. The hospital was quicker and easier. One appointment and we were done.

Dr Bloblstein
Boro Park Pediatric Dentistry
718-854-3333
offers laughing gas

Maimonides Dentistry on 13 avenue does the OR
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics