Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Not losing weight on strict diet
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:20 am
I have been on a diet for 3 months. the first month I lost around 3 pounds. The last two I haven't lost any weight at all. I'm very strict, low carb, low calorie, no dairy, no flour or sugar except half a slice to a slice on Friday night and Shabbos lunch, I try not to eat the starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn although once in a while I'll have it. I don't usually have more than 2 servings of fruit a day. I do eat a serving of nuts every day, but one serving is 170 calories and fits into my daily calories without going over. I exercise 5 days a week for 45 minutes. I don't know what else to do. I know this is a healthier way of eating than what I've done in the past, so I'll continue, but I'm so frustrated because I can stand to lose 40 pounds. Eating more doesn't make me lose weight, I've tried it. I have pcos and I have tested normal for thyroid in the past. This is the strictest I've ever been in my life and the scale isn't budging. Neither is my waist measurement or how clothes fit. Beyond frustrating and I don't know what to do about it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:41 am
Make a list of what is good about the last three months. Other than the scale.

I’m someone who lost a large amount of weight and maintains it but I’m still very overweight.

That said, I feel incredible and gave resolved all my health problems. I feel better at 55 than 25.

This is because of how I eat. I’m grateful and I remind myself frequently how terrible I used to feel and don’t Anymore.

Make sure you’re eating enough.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:43 am
Go to a good, experienced, medical dietician. Not one of those who has A "method" but one who will listen to you and create a plan for you.
I had a similar situation the last year. I went to a dietician (after trying 3) a short while back who suggested a very specific way of eating and slowly the weight is beginning to come off.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:48 am
Maybe a medication you’re on is not letting the weight come off?

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:50 am
Have your PCP run a full blood panel including thyroid and blood sugar

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:47 am
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
Go to a good, experienced, medical dietician. Not one of those who has A "method" but one who will listen to you and create a plan for you.
I had a similar situation the last year. I went to a dietician (after trying 3) a short while back who suggested a very specific way of eating and slowly the weight is beginning to come off.
Do you have a recommendation in NY?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:47 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Maybe a medication you’re on is not letting the weight come off?
Not on medication.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:49 am

Can you briefly describe the specific way of eating?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Have your PCP run a full blood panel including thyroid and blood sugar
They ran thyroid a few times in the past, the last one was less than a year ago, it came back normal, so was the sugar thank G-d. How often should they be repeated?

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:56 am
How many calories do you think you are getting daily? Less than 1400 is too little. Most people need around 2000.

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:02 am
I don’t know about the PCOS piece, but I do know that drinking water, spread out over the course of a day, is supposed to be a key factor along with eating a proper diet and exercising.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:36 am
For me what worked was going plant based. I don't use oil when cooking, I eat lots of carbs, I don't use sugar and avoid refined carbs. Even though I eat meat, I avoid it during the week and leave it for Shabbos. I eat plenty of good carbs like potatoes, lentils, fruit. Check out Forks Over Knives.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:40 am
I have PCOS too and the ONLY diet that works for me is Intermittent Fasting.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Can you briefly describe the specific way of eating?

I'm not in NY, sorry.
It's a combination of Intermittent fasting with the following.

Breakfast: yoghurt + 2 fruits
Lunch: Carbs + fresh veg salad
Supper: Protein + cooked veg.

No bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes or cooked carrots.

Obviously with portion sizes which she gave me but each person there would be different.

She said that sometimes women get to a point where their bodies struggle to process carbs and proteins at the same time and this works.

I was kind of skeptical but it is actually working.

imaima

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They ran thyroid a few times in the past, the last one was less than a year ago, it came back normal, so was the sugar thank G-d. How often should they be repeated?

What was your tsh? Some docs interpret them as normal when they are not.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:43 pm
I'm not in NY, sorry.
It's a combination of Intermittent fasting with the following.

Breakfast: yoghurt + 2 fruits
Lunch: Carbs + fresh veg salad
Supper: Protein + cooked veg.

No bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes or cooked carrots.

Obviously with portion sizes which she gave me but each person there would be different.

She said that sometimes women get to a point where their bodies struggle to process carbs and proteins at the same time and this works.

I was kind of skeptical but it is actually working.

Thanks for sharing. This sounds a lot like The Life Transforming Diet based on the Rambam.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:58 pm
Don’t give up
The body needs to heal
It’s using the energy to heal itself
It won’t put that energy to release fat until it feels healthy enough
All your effort are not for nothing
You re making a healthier you

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:17 pm
Go to google And find a BMR calculator. If you’re eating equal or more calories than what the calculator says you will never lose .

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:08 pm
are you on birth control?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:06 pm
I eat less than 1400 calories, if I ate more I would gain weight.
I drink more than 12 cups of water a day.
I can't do a plant based diet.
I tried intermittent fasting but didn't feel well so I stopped doing it.
TSH was around 3.
I'm eating less than what the BMR calculator says.
Not on birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise