Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Should we go?
Previous  1  2

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
In some ways it's a pity you didn't discuss it as a family earlier, so everyone knew what to expect.

Your children probably don't see any connection between spending Pesach with their family in England and the regular summer trip. And even if you had stayed home, you would probably have made an effort for Pesach, so why should one affect the other? If you do want to cancel the summer trip, you need to explain it to them.

This.

Also - we live in crazy times. There was a trip I was unsure about pre-Covid. I am unbelievably grateful that I took it, for multiple reasons, because I haven't been back there since....

Seize the day, OP!

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
If I was in your position, I would tell the kids that we already did a big trip this year and you know that they look forward every summer to the trip but it's hard on you to do another trip. I actually once enumerated to the kids all the physical work that I need to do in order to go. It wasn't in a guilt-inducing way or even me complaining. I simply wanted to create the awareness for them to understand why we were cutting down that year. (They understood the challenging circumstances going on at the time; they just didn't see what the big deal was about going away.)

In your position, I would probably do a major day trip or even one overnight. Cut it down in a way that's easier for you to handle, not as long, not as much packing and planning, but still nice fun times. Tell your kids that because of ab and c, you thought of not doing a trip altogether, and at the same time validate for them that this is something they look forward to and you also love to do it as a family therefore, you'll be doing xyz (which you decided already). No need to consult them or get their approval. State what will happen, but it's ok to give explanation.

I love this answer and was going to say the same. I would do a bigger one day trip with one night.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:11 pm
Yes! I would not look at it as entitled rather this is something they enjoy all together as family B"H. You are creating family rituals and family memories!
Wonderful that they all want to go. Amazing that you got to travel and spend Pesach with family!
So long as you can afford to I would definitely go and thank G-d for their enthusiasm. You are investing in the foundation and strength of your family.
Enjoy!
Abundant brochos!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics