Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling to montreal or toronto
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:55 pm
Anyone know about going on vacation to montreal or toronto for a few days with dH? Where to stay, eat, daven, etc? Is it worth going? Anyone done this before? tia

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 10:34 pm
Canada is only open to those who are fully vaccinated. If that applies to you and DH there are some interesting things to do in Montreal and Toronto, but honestly, they wouldn't be my first choices for a destination.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 11:50 pm
Not op, but from what age do (non Canadian) kids need to be vaccinated to get in?

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:01 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Not op, but from what age do (non Canadian) kids need to be vaccinated to get in?

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:39 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I was there about 2 months ago, and the rule was that non-Canadian citizens between the ages of 12-17 don’t have to be vaccinated, but they need to quarantine for 14 days. They do have to take COVID tests except if they had COVID within the last 180 days (obviously must have positive results from a lab).They called us to ask if the 13-year-old was quarantining but did not come in person to check.

When we landed, Border Patrol said we don’t know what we’re talking about and that our unvaccinated child can’t be allowed in, and sent us to Customs, where they confirmed that we were indeed correct.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 12:44 am
Is there any way for me to visit my sibling in Canada if we are not vaccinated? Adults and kids. Does it make a difference if we travel by plane or car?

Anyone know when they will end this madness? It's not like the vaccines are even effective at this point.
I really would love to visit my sibling with my family, we missed some of their simchas already. It's so crazy.
Oh and I refuse to get a bogus vaccine card like my sibling tells me everyone does.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:29 am
Getting back to OP's question, Montreal is beautiful in the summer. We often go to visit my in laws and stayed for several weeks last summer.

I can't totally answer since I'm not a native, but we stay up North in their summer home on the lake. If you can find a house on Trout Lake for rent, you will enjoy it. Summer in Montreal is all about the lake. At Trout Lake the kids spend a lot of the day hanging out together by the pool, and there are all kinds of boating activities. Actually, our place is on a different lake, so I can't for sure say what goes on there, but that's the only frum lake. My in laws aren't frum but their lake is almost entirely Jewish with at least one frum family we see whenever we're there. My kids learned how to water ski last summer and swam in the lake whenever it wasn't too cold. We took kayak rides and went on long canoe rides. There is a fabulous water park about 1/2 hour away that I let my girls go to twice and they had a blast. There were other frum kids there.

Montreal's "north" is only a bit more than an hours drive from the city, so easy to get to. We also ordered from the Fooderie all the time, you can place an online order in the morning and they'll have it to you in the afternoon.

If you want to stay in the city, the frum area is Outrement, and there's tons of kosher markets and restaurants. There's are other frum areas, Cote St. Luc in particular, and kosher restaurants there as well, they're not too far apart. There's less to do in Montreal proper. Some activities on Mount Royal, there's ice skating in the city and cool underground shopping malls for the heinous winter.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 4:18 am
I’ve done both. I’ve done road trip from NYC to Niagara Falls with shabbos spent in Toronto. I’ve done separate road trip to Montreal. Both were interesting and fun and I’d do both again

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:45 am
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
Is there any way for me to visit my sibling in Canada if we are not vaccinated? Adults and kids. Does it make a difference if we travel by plane or car?

Anyone know when they will end this madness? It's not like the vaccines are even effective at this point.
I really would love to visit my sibling with my family, we missed some of their simchas already. It's so crazy.
Oh and I refuse to get a bogus vaccine card like my sibling tells me everyone does.

If you want to see your sibs so badly ,
Get a vaccine.
My adult married kids did that.
Guess you don’t want to visit badly enough.
We Canadians have been through hell from the covid rules here & all the lockdowns so if you really want to see your family here, just get a vaccine. Not such a big deal

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:31 am
unfortunately all these rules and regulations do apply to Ops question. No sense planning a trip if the rules won't let you and your family in ;(
Were I missing family I would invite them to visit me or meet up in a different place in the States.
Would not give my teens a vax their dr does not advise them to get based on a bureaucratic law .
Good luck Op!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:08 pm
OP here, thanks for the info. I want to go just with my husband. We like to go to frum areas and experience the restaurants, shopping, shuls, etc. It sounds like montreal is best for this? Can anyone give me more info on specifically where? I don't know where to start in terms of planning or where to stay!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:09 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
Getting back to OP's question, Montreal is beautiful in the summer. We often go to visit my in laws and stayed for several weeks last summer.

I can't totally answer since I'm not a native, but we stay up North in their summer home on the lake. If you can find a house on Trout Lake for rent, you will enjoy it. Summer in Montreal is all about the lake. At Trout Lake the kids spend a lot of the day hanging out together by the pool, and there are all kinds of boating activities. Actually, our place is on a different lake, so I can't for sure say what goes on there, but that's the only frum lake. My in laws aren't frum but their lake is almost entirely Jewish with at least one frum family we see whenever we're there. My kids learned how to water ski last summer and swam in the lake whenever it wasn't too cold. We took kayak rides and went on long canoe rides. There is a fabulous water park about 1/2 hour away that I let my girls go to twice and they had a blast. There were other frum kids there.

Montreal's "north" is only a bit more than an hours drive from the city, so easy to get to. We also ordered from the Fooderie all the time, you can place an online order in the morning and they'll have it to you in the afternoon.

If you want to stay in the city, the frum area is Outrement, and there's tons of kosher markets and restaurants. There's are other frum areas, Cote St. Luc in particular, and kosher restaurants there as well, they're not too far apart. There's less to do in Montreal proper. Some activities on Mount Royal, there's ice skating in the city and cool underground shopping malls for the heinous winter.

thank u very much. I am not planning on going with children so those activities don't really apply. looking more for a frum area we can relax in and enjoy the area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:10 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Canada is only open to those who are fully vaccinated. If that applies to you and DH there are some interesting things to do in Montreal and Toronto, but honestly, they wouldn't be my first choices for a destination.

we are both vaccinated (not boosted) is that enough?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank u very much. I am not planning on going with children so those activities don't really apply. looking more for a frum area we can relax in and enjoy the area.

Be aware the frum area in Montreal is pretty much like Brooklyn. Maybe uglier. We chose to stay in downtown area and utilize the lovely chabad there

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:21 pm
If both of you are vaccinated, you can enter. No need for a booster.
Friends have stayed at Parc Ave. Lofts and had a wonderful time.
https://www.parcavenuelofts.com/
This hotel is locate in the heart of the frum (Chassidish/ Outremont) community. There is a kosher café (District Bagel) on premises and a plethora of other food options just a few minutes walk in every direction. Multiple shuls within 5 minutes walking distance.
Mont Royal is a 45 minute walk (5-10 minute drive) away. There are several great trails that offer a picturesque view of the city.
Old Montreal/ The Old Port is another great day out. You can rent a jet ski, go speed boating, ride the ferry, rent a quadricycle, visit a museum, ride the Ferris wheel or enjoy many other activities.
Other adult activities include visiting the Olympic stadium and the nearby botanical gardens as well as exploring the downtown core via the underground city.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:29 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
If both of you are vaccinated, you can enter. No need for a booster.
Friends have stayed at Parc Ave. Lofts and had a wonderful time.
https://www.parcavenuelofts.com/
This hotel is locate in the heart of the frum (Chassidish/ Outremont) community. There is a kosher café (District Bagel) on premises and a plethora of other food options just a few minutes walk in every direction. Multiple shuls within 5 minutes walking distance.
Mont Royal is a 45 minute walk (5-10 minute drive) away. There are several great trails that offer a picturesque view of the city.
Old Montreal/ The Old Port is another great day out. You can rent a jet ski, go speed boating, ride the ferry, rent a quadricycle, visit a museum, ride the Ferris wheel or enjoy many other activities.
Other adult activities include visiting the Olympic stadium and the nearby botanical gardens as well as exploring the downtown core via the underground city.

thank you very much. is there another place anyone suggests that would be better? something like north miami beach maybe where there are lots of kosher and frum options but also near a regular city

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you very much. is there another place anyone suggests that would be better? something like north miami beach maybe where there are lots of kosher and frum options but also near a regular city

So you mean in Canada? Or in the US?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:22 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
So you mean in Canada? Or in the US?

anywhere

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
anywhere

Tons of options! The world is your oyster! LA, Chicago, Denver, Boston, Phoenix, Dallas. Depends on your budget and what you like to do and what time of year you want to travel

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:12 pm
Montreal is a really nice place to visit in the summer. It has that european feel which makes it an unique destination. There was a really nice hotel near cote st luc, not sure if I remember correctly, by the name hotel decarie. There was a kosher restaurant in or right near the hotel. But that was quite a few years ago, so not sure if its still there. But the area wasnt so nice. Outremont is a really interesting area, populated with both chasidim and french speaking canadians, with many boutiques, kosher eateries and an amazing bakery.
We also took a day trip to mont tremblante.
All in all, really nice memories.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics