Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Misrepresentations on "Move to an OOT Community" FB group

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:54 pm
There is a woman employed by our local JCC and day school to recruit families to the area. She is secular but sent her kids to a multi-denominational day school (not the one she is recruiting for) so she assumes that she is an authority on Jewish communities. At first, I thought her posts were just unintentionally misinformed, but now I'm afraid she is knowingly misrepresenting the community.

Examples: She claimed that we have a Chabad community. We do have a Chabad but it is a small kiruv Chabad shul with only 2 actual Chabad families ( for reference she was comparing us to Kingston, PA). The difference was explained to her yet she replied to a Chabad post a week later. She claimed that 25% of the day school student body is frum. This was true about 10 years ago but now they are down to 5 frum kids. She claimed "the Orthodox synagogue" in the area has robust youth programing. It doesn't have a youth director and no longer even offers groups on Shabbos!

Is it worth contacting the admin and asking to have her removed? I would love to see the community grow but not by lying!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:56 pm
Yes

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:57 pm
For sure message the admin. I would also correct her misinformation on the posts that she already commented on

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:18 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
For sure message the admin. I would also correct her misinformation on the posts that she already commented on

I don't want to bad-mouth my community in public. I would love things to turn around, and an infusion of new young families would certainly help but, I don't want to end up feeling guilty for luring people under false pretenses.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:28 pm
Maybe suggest she hype up the existing infrastructure in a true way AND ITS POTENTIAL plans for expansion once they get x number of new families. Maybe they can offer recruitment incentives for youth leaders, etc. if the community already has a budget for recruitment...?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:43 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Maybe suggest she hype up the existing infrastructure in a true way AND ITS POTENTIAL plans for expansion once they get x number of new families. Maybe they can offer recruitment incentives for youth leaders, etc. if the community already has a budget for recruitment...?

LOL, I wish. Honestly, the community is run by retirees for retirees. None of their grandchildren live nearby so they don't care about youth programs and are unwilling to fund anything that will attract "noisy kids". There were more young families when we moved here but we have been systematically driven out. We would move but this is the only community within 1.5 hrs of our jobs. The community has potential but the current leadership is not interested in growing the frum community.

We have advised her to just recruit Reform and Conservative families who are a better fit for the community as it currently stands but she does not understand because from her point of view the shul exists so why not advertise it? We have tried to explain the isolation that the SS, SK kids feel but she doesn't get it because isn't SS or SK. She actually asked why we just won't drive a little so they can play!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:15 pm
For sure I would say something to the admins of the group.

Aside from the general issue of misrepresenting the frum community, there is another issue: If she is employed by the JCC, that means that her salaried is likely paid for from community funds.
Misleading people (intentionally or unintentionally) is clearly an issue, but when community funds are paying for it-- that makes it worse! . I would of course check with your Rav or posek, but it seems like she could potentially be causing quite a bit of damage, and her higher-ups within the agency should be notified (within the bounds of halacha, of course).

Hopefully anyone who is interested in your city will do their due diligence, and not rely on this woman from Facebook.

That being said, I also live in a small community that is experiencing negative growth. Its very depressing.... I wish more people would move here, but we don't really have anything fabulous to offer....

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:16 pm
I actually wouldn’t worry about it. Anyone thinking of moving would come visit the community and see for themselves. Or at the very least they would call the school and ask for people to talk with, and figure it out pretty quickly. I think it’s best to avoid people like this lady who aren’t 100% and just let them do their thing as long as it isn’t hurting anyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating