Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help me arrange a room for bar mitzvah kiddush

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:57 pm
I'll be making my son's kiddush in my friends house.
She has made kiddishim in her house before but was mixed.
Mine needs to be separate with a mechitza.
It will be in her large dining room.
When you walk into her house you walk into a entrance and on the right is a long wide dining room.
I can't figure where to put the mechitza so we could show it should be separate men and women.
The doorway to the dining room is very wide so when you walk in you see the whole room.
And where to set up food that it won't mix men and women.
People in my neighborhood are familiar with the house and that they know it's never seperate so I need it set up so to show it is.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:21 am
Hard to answer without seeing it.
In any setting you would usually put mechitza down the middle of the room and put buffet table on each side against mechitza.
When we made a simcha in my house we put men in dining room and ladies in the kitchen but we have a very large kitchen!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:14 am
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Hard to answer without seeing it.
In any setting you would usually put mechitza down the middle of the room and put buffet table on each side against mechitza.
When we made a simcha in my house we put men in dining room and ladies in the kitchen but we have a very large kitchen!

Setting up the women in the kitchen would be great and my friend has a huge kitchen but she doesn't want to give her kitchen up.
If I put a mechitza down the middle it will look funny because when you walk into the room you see both sides but I can't think of any other way.
The crowned I will have is very yeshivish with many rabbanim coming.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:33 am
Would it work to have the women walk through the kitchen and have that half of the dining room for women and the other half off the main entrance for men? You would need to put up signs that ladies entrance around the side?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:15 pm
Seeing the other side from the entrance isn't really a problem. The mechitza in this case is to make a separation and prevent/limit socializing. It's not like there will be dancing where you need to limit line of sight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics