Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Is there demand for another mag that publishes frum fiction?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:48 am
Are the big three enough?

A while back someone asked on Imamother if women would subscribe directly to some kind of personal website or Substack where she (the OP) would publish stories or serials of her own. I had the impression that there wasn't much demand for a single-contributor magazine of that kind.

I'm wondering if there is demand (I.e., willingness to pay 5 bucks a month or whatever) for an online frum fiction mag (maybe with some "creative nonfiction" and poetry, too) to which multiple authors would contribute. Basically, a frum literary magazine.

Would such a magazine take customers away from the existing commercial frum mags? (I'm guessing not.) Would an "all-creative" publication, one that isn't a grab-bag of news, kid stuff, recipes, etc. but focused solely on quality fiction, essays and poetry, find an audience in the frum world?

Are there any writers out there who see a need for such a venue?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:51 am
I would love to read something like that but I can’t pay, even $5 a month, (but I think you would have to charge more). I suspect that is the case for many people in today’s economy. It’s hard.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:55 am
Mishpacha has been cutting down greatly on the fiction.
It’s really disappointing and I stopped buying it weekly.
I already know if there was fiction the week before, I should skip it the next week.

I know they got lots of letters of complaints in the past, from people who felt it was sensational, but frankly for easy reading, that’s all I want.
I’m not always in the mood of the heavy real stuff.

So yes, if it’s good quality I would sign up.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:58 am
In my opinion, no.
I can barely keep on top of the current mags. I only read on shabbos and there's not enough time to read everything and also sleep.
I also prefer to read a novel in a book over dragged out as a serialized story.
Mishpacha is everything I would want in a magazine.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:01 am
That was pretty much the model for Horizons in it's time. Does anyone else remember Horizons? They folded pretty quickly when Mishpacha started.

LK1

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:39 am
I'm not a writer but I'm a huge reader and I would love such a thing!

mamasamama

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:55 pm
I am both a writer and avid reader so yes for me!

momallhours

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:03 pm
I would love it but only if it would be high quality writing

kenz

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:13 pm
I would but I would want to be able to read it on Shabbos.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:20 pm
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
That was pretty much the model for Horizons in it's time. Does anyone else remember Horizons? They folded pretty quickly when Mishpacha started.

I loved them. They were around when I was a teen and I loved the quality of their writing!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:31 pm
I also loved Horizons. I brought it in the local Jewish book store. It was a monthly magazine, that reminded me of Reader’s Digest. I do not think there is enough demand for another magazine. Certainly not a weekly one. Maybe monthly and would have to be less expensive than the big 3.

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:46 pm
I might buy it, but it would be a huge job to make it profitable.

You’d need an investor to back the magazine and market it for the first few years so you can pay your writers, advertising salespeople, designers, printers, etc….
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room