Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Go back to school?

happymommy12

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:58 am
Has anyone gone to school/back to school with little kids at home? I’m thinking of changing professions to something I really want to do but it would mean 2.5 years of intensive schooling.. I have a 2.5 yr old and 10 month old baby at home. It’s not great timing but I keep thinking if not now, when? My husband bH is supportive and ready to step up… it would mean he has to pick the kids up from playgroup every day..
Just wondering if anyone has gone through this and has had a positive experience. Thanks!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 4:13 am
happymommy12 wrote:
Has anyone gone to school/back to school with little kids at home? I’m thinking of changing professions to something I really want to do but it would mean 2.5 years of intensive schooling.. I have a 2.5 yr old and 10 month old baby at home. It’s not great timing but I keep thinking if not now, when? My husband bH is supportive and ready to step up… it would mean he has to pick the kids up from playgroup every day..
Just wondering if anyone has gone through this and has had a positive experience. Thanks!

Yes, I went back to school to change professions and it's rough but doable. If your husband is on board and able to help out, go for it. I could never have done this without the support of my husband.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 4:22 am
I know someone that did it with a handful
Of kids. In my opinion it was crazy difficult for her and her kids were neglected

Just want to add I have family doing it with two little kids. It’s crazy crazy hard she has lots and lots of help but she wouldn’t be able to do it f her kids were older.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 4:33 am
Going to school when you have kids is never easy, but if it is something you really want and your husband is on board then go for it! It won't be easy but waiting and doing it when you have older kids is waaay harder. Now your nights are quiet and they are your own, your kids needs are simpler and they will be met between you and your husband. They will be cared for by a loving parent. In Lakewood there are many many children whose father's pick them up from playgroup and watch them until mommy comes home. Even when it is hard, you will know that after 2.5 years it will be over, there is an end in sight. Take it one day and one semester at a time and you will get through it!
Said as someone who's mother went back to school when she was a preteen/teen and was very resentful if needing to pitch in so much and the time it took. Do it while life is so much simpler!
Wishing you much hatzlocha and joy in your new career!

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:04 am
I did! Started while single but was very long program. I’m so happy I did it with little kids, my kids are a little older now (and I have a couple more) and it would be impossible

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:11 am
I'm in grad school now getting a master's in OT and have another 2.5 years. I have a 3 and 1 year old.
It's really hard but BH I'm managing and I also can't imagine doing it once the kids are older.
BH my kids are taken care of (BH my parents help watching them when I have late classes).

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:16 am
I'm finishing up with school now. I have 2 little kids and one on the way. It's very very hard, but definitely depends on what you are going for/ how intense the schooling is. Doable if you have a lot of support. My husband was super on board. He does carpool when I have to leave early/ come home late and makes shabbos a lot of the time during the semester. Financially we struggle right now but we do jobs on the side and have family that is very generous with extra money when we need. All this said. I am so grateful that I went back to school and I am so happy with our decision.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:16 am
Went back to become a nurse practitioner with 5 kids. Had another during school. It was hard, rewarding, and I have zero plans to go back for my doctorate.

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:18 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Went back to become a nurse practitioner with 5 kids. Had another during school. It was hard, rewarding, and I have zero plans to go back for my doctorate.

How long did it take?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:44 am
If the long-term benefits are worth it for you and your family, then do it! It won't be easier later (maybe much much much later, but then you'll lose some of the benefit, and it's harder to go back to school the longer you're out of school). My mother did it when I was young and has no regrets.

koalamom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:26 am
Went back to school with four kids under 6 to get my CPA. Was doable, it's basically like having a job but my husband was very onboard and helped a lot with the kids and the house. Fast forward ten years it was so worth it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:32 am
I went back to school with little kids while I worked. It was hard but worth it, it improved our financial condition.

This was only possible with the support of dh who watched the kids and did a lot of the housework while I was in class.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:26 am
I did it with kids and while working full time. 1.5 year program for a 2nd masters degree, had a baby at the end and got a 2 month extension because of that and finished up right after baby was born. It was HARD. Every spare minute (lunch break at work, transportation time, as soon as the kids fell asleep, sundays, etc) were completely consumed by studying/writing/other class work. Supportive husband and cleaning help. Couldn't have done it otherwise.

I agree with the other Imas here - best to do it while the kids are little. As they get older they need more attention and time in the evenings/weekends and you will have less time available to get it done.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:37 am
I had two kids while I was in law school. Studying for the bar with little kids was so hard. I even stopped nursing my younger one early because it was too stressful for me to worry about pumping. But ten years later - it was the best decision to keep pushing through.

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
How long did it take?

I started in May. About 2 years in, I had 3 semesters left, but I took a year off when I had a baby. I started back again the following September and graduated in February. All together without the time off. It would have been 2.5 years. After I graduated, I took 2.5 months to study for boards (but pesach was somewhere in there too). Passed boards mid May and had my state license by early June.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:05 am
happymommy12 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all of the insightful answers! You’re all amazing!
I guess I just have to figure out if this job is worth it in the long run. I’m basically thinking of switching from one job which is under appreciated and hardworking (teaching) to another (nursing)… I tried out teaching and I don’t think it’s for me, but I have to decide for myself if it’s worth all the trouble to learn something new.. especially when being a teacher comes with so many perks Confused

That's what I'm doing now. Went from teaching to nursing. Nursing school is very hard and demanding. It's doable, but a lot of work.

happymommy12

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:00 am
Good to know!! Thanks! Smile

Member24

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:27 pm
happymommy12 wrote:

I started getting my BA when my 4th daughter was just 4 weeks old and oldest was 5, so wasn't great timing but I just jumped into it with DH support.
Currently in grad school with about 4 semesters left. It's long and exhausting but I'm so excited to finally be working towards something I want and will love doing once I'm done.
One thing I would say is that this is not possible without support from your husband, so sounds like you have that covered Smile
Feel free to contact me for more info and any help I can provide
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics