Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Snacks for school

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:51 am
My kids are not generally picky, but they are very finicky about snacks for school. I have them on hot lunch but still have to provide a morning and afternoon snack. They pack the snacks themselves, but obviously I'm the one doing the food shopping, so I need to have them available.

They are perfectly happy to eat fruits and veggies (cut up and waiting for them on the table) as soon as they come home, but don't like packing them because they apparently don't taste good after being packed, not even for morning snack. Same deal with string cheese. Of course, school is nut free, so that's another consideration. Pretzels are ok, but they eventually get tired of pretzels every day and don't want to eat them for awhile. Something tells me they would not tire of Pringles or cookies so easily, but for obvious reasons, I would rather limit those. Honestly, anything I send with them has to be easy for me too. I'm not baking up trays of wholesome goodies every day or even every week, that just isn't going to happen.

I need some ideas for easily packable snacks that will hold well (especially till after lunch) that they will eat!

zigi

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:45 am
Veggie straws, popcorn

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:52 am
Popcorn, chips, whole fruits like an apple or banana, sometimes they will take a yogurt pouch for morning snack before it can spoiled. They like chocolate rice cakes, shibolim brand chocolate covered pretzels, pastries, trader joes has some good options especially if you are fine with OU-D and not pas yisroel.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:53 am
Corn pops
Stretch Island fruit leather (natural sugars)
Applesauce pouches (with or without berries)
Pop corners
Washed grapes in a small container so they don't get squished)

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:56 am
Made good line of granola bars, rice crispy bars and mini cookies

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:47 am
Fruit pouches, plain biscuits, pretzels, popcorn, granola bars. My kids are the same with string cheese and fruit and veg for cheder.... beh, and then let them have lil bagged cookies and chips once a week, that'll cover some of it without being too much junk.
Oh, and fruit cup things. Then at least they're getting fruit even if it's in syrup or jelly. My kids WILL take those but not normal actual fruit/veg. I think it's more to do with their street cred than it going brown but whatever.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:09 pm
Thanks. Yeah, yogurt, popcorn, and applesauce are also foods they go through "phases" with. Eating tons of those things for a few weeks and then not wanting to look at it again for awhile 😂 They eat the hot lunch just fine, they eat a perfectly fine variety of foods at home, they just get so finicky about snacks for school and it makes me nuts Banging head

clarity1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:11 pm
my kids will take cut up fruits and veggies in a container not in a bag, thats how it holds well till they eat it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children