Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do you feel valued at work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:33 am
Is it important to you to feel valued at work?

I'm in my specific field many years. I do really good work, if I may say so myself. I don't feel especially valued at work. There are other people who are always included in changes going on in the office. Always asked for advice. I'm not. Lately it really irks me.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:56 am
It’s not important to me. BH I get paid every week. That’s what I need to make me feel valued. That said I don’t feel disrespected either. But I don’t need a lot of extras. I’m good

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:12 am
Job market is hot you can go literally anywhere and probably get a higher salary than what you have now

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:16 am
Yes. If I quit my boss would be words I wont say out loud and he knows that. If you spend enough time somewhere you want to feel valued. Is work my first priority in life no but spending 8 hours a day in a place that makes you feel like dirt isnt good either. (I did that before and was awful. Will never do it again)

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:16 am
I don't particularly like my job. Currently sticking it out for the maternity leave policy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:19 am
I get paid ok. I get paid on time. It's definitely not my top priority in life. But I give 100%.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:21 am
So what will happen if you give 80%?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:21 am
hodeez wrote:
Job market is hot you can go literally anywhere and probably get a higher salary than what you have now

Are you responding to me or OP?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:23 am
hodeez wrote:
So what will happen if you give 80%?

I know. Other people do that because they're like there's no point. Why give so much for n/t? But I'm not an 80% type of person. I can't. I did stop giving 150%, which I did for years. Hours and hours of overtime. For who? For what?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:25 am
I dont feel valued at work. I hate my job. Tried finding something else but not finding anything that would be slightly better even. I am highly qualified and a hard worker, very good at what I do. Super frustrating.
My current job treats me like a secretary or hired help even though I have advanced degrees.

ChalieB

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:37 am
I feel valued at work, which is wonderful because it's important to me. I need to feel like my contributions are important and I'm a useful member of the team.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:41 am
Often not. My boss has no respect for my expertise and years of experience a designer. But he does pay me well.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:17 am
Being valued is overrated. Being paid well is what counts. Unless you're doing volunteer work.

For years, I was the most valuable employee in the business, in my boss's words. I was asked opinions on every matter, involved in all meetings, and given the inside scoop before news was made public. My boss would sing my praises, both in one-on-one meetings and company meetings.

I was put in charge of almost every big project, and to problem solve the issues that no-one else could figure out. I was constantly promoted to a higher position and more serious workloads.

But guess what? I was paid pennies. I was also one of the youngest employees, and a single girl. I kept on pushing time, believing that soon I'll get this major raise and all my hard work will pay off. But it never came.

And worst of all, all the "being valued" caused a tremendous rift between me and my colleagues. The other women and girls were so jealous of me. They would badmouth me behind my back, and tattle to my boss when I slacked off a bit from work. They were sure I was earning so much, when in truth I was earning even less than some of them (just because they were married and I was not, but that's a different topic.) My peers hated me, I was working like a horse, and felt good about it because I felt so "valued".

Long story short, I left my job and haven't regretted it one minute. If being valued comes along with the right price, then that's amazing. If being valued means you're constantly being milked and underpaid, then its better to be undervalued and earn a normal salary.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:22 am
Being valued is certainly not overrated. Being valued can't stand alone unless you're a volunteer, but being paid can't stand alone, either. You're a person, not a vending machine; if you don't feel valued your self-esteem and job satisfaction suffer, and your physical health may also suffer as a result.

If "being valued" is bossspeak for "being exploited," then of course it's worthless. But by the same token, being paid a fortune and treated like dirt isn't healthy, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics