Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can you help list the high schools in Brooklyn?
Previous  1  2

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:46 pm
Bais rivka in crown heights

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:20 am
Bnos Yakov, Lev BY, Masores, Prospect are all Bais Yakov types of schools.
All Flatbush girls schools are Bais Yakov types, except Shulamith, Beer Hagolah, Nefesh, and Shalsheles in Boro Park.
Maybe if you tell us what exactly is bothering her in her BY school, we can brainstorm together. It's one thing if it's the whole ideology, and another - if it's teachers, hanhalah, or girls.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:41 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
All Flatbush girls schools are Bais Yakov types, except Shulamith, Beer Hagolah, Nefesh, and Shalsheles in Boro Park.
Maybe if you tell us what exactly is bothering her in her BY school, we can brainstorm together. It's one thing if it's the whole ideology, and another - if it's teachers, hanhalah, or girls.

Yes, wondering this as well -- what is the main issue? It would really help to guide our responses.
One note on the above: although PPY does identify as BY, it doesn't actually have the same flavor or atmosphere -- in a good way. It's more open and more mixed.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:27 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:

I haven't been in Brooklyn in a while. Do Yeshiva of Flatbush and Magen David no longer exist? They're obviously very not BY but I have no clue what OP's daughter needs right now (although MD is in Bensonhurst). Also what about Central? (YU high school for girls).

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
I haven't been in Brooklyn in a while. Do Yeshiva of Flatbush and Magen David no longer exist? They're obviously very not BY but I have no clue what OP's daughter needs right now (although MD is in Bensonhurst). Also what about Central? (YU high school for girls).

Yeshiva of Flatbush is Modern Orthodox and Co-ed, which puts it in a completely different category. Magen David is Sephardic; while some Ashkenaz kids have attended, it's not culturally suited to Ashkenaz kids.
Central is not in Brooklyn, and it's also considered MO.
I think if OP's daughter is in Lev Bais Yaakov or BYDM and needs a change, those are a much bigger jump than moving to PPY, or a much looser place like Shalsheles or Nefesh. Though it's unclear what the problem is, so I really couldn't say.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:14 am
The school she’s in is considered by type. When I say Bais yaakovy I meant more like byhs or yob type. The problem with her school is that many faculty members put down the girls as a whole. This yr alone 10 girls left one of the grades. Not because they lived but because the teachers and principal were so degrading towards the girls they couldn’t take it anymore. I do believe the way the school is will definitely become more public throughout this year.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The school she’s in is considered by type. When I say Bais yaakovy I meant more like byhs or yob type. The problem with her school is that many faculty members put down the girls as a whole. This yr alone 10 girls left one of the grades. Not because they lived but because the teachers and principal were so degrading towards the girls they couldn’t take it anymore. I do believe the way the school is will definitely become more public throughout this year.

That's awful! I can understand why she'd want to leave. Definitely consider PPY, the hanhala is amazing and they really build up the girls.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:19 am
The hanhalah at Bnos Yaakov is really warm. I've never seen a school where the staff love the girls as much. People move out of Brooklyn all the time so 2 or 3 girls leave each year like in the other Brooklyn schools, but there have also been new girls joining.
My daughter's grade has a high level of materialism, but I hear that is true of the other Flatbush schools as well (other grades in her school have not been like this).

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:40 am
Maybe switch her to bya. Which grade is she going into? I hope you arent talking about bydm

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:46 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
Maybe switch her to bya. Which grade is she going into? I hope you arent talking about bydm

I had one kid in BYA HS. I wasn't overly impressed. The girls are a nice crowd, but unless things have changed in the last year or so, there was little leadership from the top and a lot of older burnt out teachers. Probably not a damaging environment, but certainly not a nurturing one.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:

As a BYA graduate, I don't think OP's daughter should go there. I went to BYA, and while I was fine there and do well, based on how OP is describing her dd's situation it's probably not a good fit.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:11 am
My daughters went to/are in Masores High school and loved it.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Interesting that you're calling these schools bais Yaakovy. Yeshivish is the word usually used Wink .
If you want less yeshivish than byhs/yob then that's basically all the others listed here. The question is what type would be a good fit? Also, is your daughter academic?

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:23 am
So the hs staff is judgy, harsh, nasty & yuck. Thats not bais yakov-y. Thats a bad administration.

Mesilas is very bais yakov-y but very warm and nurturing and afaik none of that turn off to yiddishkeit stuff.

Prospect is the only least bais yakov-y not coed girls hs in brooklyn.

Tbf, lots of brooklyn girls commute to 5t, manhattan, queens Or dorm.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:35 pm
Nefesh High School is a possible choice. It is a small school for girls from Frum families with more warmth and more space. The staff is very understanding of different frum cultural backgrounds. Questions are encouraged enabling each girl to grow at her own pace

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 12:20 am
amother Almond wrote:
I sent one of my kids to PPY. I don't know if it's really considered a BY anymore. She loved the teachers and the admin, they were so warm and accepting, and the girls are a nice group. It's definitely more heterogenous than a BY school, but she really liked the mix.
Another thing she liked was that the teachers and the admin talk about everything -- no topic is off limits, and she was able to ask whatever questions she had and not feel stupid or bad about it.
The people there are seasoned professionals and I came out of the experience feeling as though I had developed relationships of deep trust with many of them.
The academics are definitely hard, but the teachers don't tend to give busywork, just work that has a clear objective.

Hey amother almond--I just saw this post of yours from last year. My daughter wants me to look into PPY for her since she has a lot of friends there. How recent is your very positive sounding experience? Looking for current info about the school-- if you or anyone else can chime in I would really appreciate it!

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 1:18 pm
Masores and BYA are excellent.. if you change your mind, YOB is excellent.. Hatzlocha ❤️
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics