Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help please!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:14 am
Trying to train my son! Really need help.

We have spent a few days, going regularly, getting prizes, giving him tons of attention and acknowledgm,ent for going etc. He is motivated, wants to go and understands what he needs to do. He just doesn't seem to be able to control himself.

Even with taking him very often, he is still having many accidents. Right after he had an accident he says " I need to make it". Often it's only 5 minutes after we tried going.

I know accidents are normal. I'm still wondering if he is ready. If it is just a matter of time and learning the skill, I would stick to it. I'm suspecting he doesn't have the ability to hold it in.

I'm not sure if I should continue or take a break.

Experienced mothers, What do you say?

Thanks in advance. Any advice would really be appreciated!!

TIA

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:16 am
How old is he? He doesn’t sound ready

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:45 am
Almost 3. ( I am not in a desperate rush for halachic reasons or any other reasons)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:21 am
Is he undressed? (from bottom down) I found my son needed to feel the wetness on himself to learn.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:37 pm
If the child is 3 then don’t take a break. Keep the potty handy and let him go as often as he needs. Don’t give up. Continue to be very consistent and you will see good results.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:30 pm
I would wait. (I might also ask the doctor to rule out any medical issues...and if nothing comes up, then I'd wait.)

Signed, Mom of several toilet trained kids who trained anywhere from age just-turned-2 to 3.5, and survived to tell the tale

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:31 pm
flowerpower wrote:
If the child is 3 then don’t take a break. Keep the potty handy and let him go as often as he needs. Don’t give up. Continue to be very consistent and you will see good results.

thanks for your response. he is almost three. not 3 for another few weeks

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:33 pm
What made you think he was ready other than his age?

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:38 pm
Op, how long are you training for already? 4 days? A week? Some of my kids it took 2 weeks to stop having accidents. There's a reason there's a saying "training is draining". It can really drain every oz out of you. If he's almost 3 and it's not 2 weeks yet I'd for sure continue. I toilet trained my almost 3 yr old before pesach. I started 2 weeks before pesach and by pesach dc was still having accidents once or 2x a day. My pediatrician told me a few kids ago that it can take 2-3 months till they stop having accidents. I called him when that kid didn't have a bowel movement in almost a week. Was like 6 days already. His first question was "are you training now?" And we went into a discussion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training