Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Snacks that don't make you fat!
1  2  3  4  Next

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:33 pm
Please share ideas for snacks that are not too fattening or unhealthy!

I am desperate to lose weight, and though I am eating reasonably balanced meals throughout the day, somehow when the clock strikes 8pm... 'The Munchies' begin, and then I'm snacking endlessly. A sweet treat straight after supper is a daily essential, then another... and another... and yet more while I prepare the kids' bags for the next day.
And I'm a night owl who stays up late, so this is really stalling my weight loss efforts.

It doesn't have to be very low fat, I'm ok with stuff that is healthy fats etc. Tell me your healthy choices for snacks please.

TIA!

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:39 pm
Air popped popcorn.

Freeze low fat tube yogurts (they take forever to eat that way)

Roasted chickpeas

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:40 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Air popped popcorn.

Freeze low fat tube yogurts (they take forever to eat that way)

Roasted chickpeas

Pop corn is low fat but very carby

Ztheone

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:44 pm
I like the party mix nuts from kleins naturals or guacamole with pretzels

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:46 pm
Make a huge salad and start with that. Once you're filled up, take a snack.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:47 pm
Broccoli
Lettuce with fat free dressing
Cauliflower
Pb2-(it’s a very low-fat peanut butter powder you mix with water to make peanut butter) / eat it with an apple or rice cakes
Reduced fat cheese (melted on broccoli is good)
Air popped chips- a serving, not a whole big bag
If you’re okay with fruits and melons there’s lots of choices
Make a smoothie with unsweetened almond milk
Baby carrots

Ztheone

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:49 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Make a huge salad and start with that. Once you're filled up, take a snack.

Salad takes prep. It's so much easier to just pull out unhealthy snacks from the cabinet...

Camelback

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:51 pm
Raw veggies: carrot, cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers, celery stalks, radish,
you could dip them in yoghurt with fresh herbs (chives, dill, garlic, etc.)

Fruit

small portion of oats with a bit of yoghurt and fresh fruit

hot beverage without sugar

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:59 pm
Thanks for all responses, some great ideas!

Let me clarify that this is a 'snacking' issue- for when I'm full, but still craving something crunchy or sweet- mainly in the evening. I'll often have an apple, nectarine, mini peppers or sugar snap peas, but I need other ideas for when the snacking cravings are relentless.
I really don't like any form of yoghurt, which is a shame.

And I'm generally more into veg than fruit.

Last edited by DreamerForever on Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:00 pm
Ztheone wrote:
Salad takes prep. It's so much easier to just pull out unhealthy snacks from the cabinet...

Ah yes. A girl after my own heart.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:09 pm
In general, a small portion of a snack food is usually okay. The problem is when it’s no longer a small portion…
Sipping a cup of tea (with Splenda instead of sugar) along with a little snack will make you feel much more satisfied.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:24 pm
Lettuce. Plain, no dressing or with a squeeze of lemon, or zero-calorie dressing if you don't care about sodium content. Nobody ever got fat fressing lettuce. or cucumbers or celery, for that matter. Most other snacks may have reduced calories, but they don't have barely any. If you eat a whole box of reduced-calorie cookies or a quart of reduced-calorie ice cream every day, you will put on weight. Even carrots are not an "unlimited" food, and if you eat five pounds of carrots a day you won't be doing yourself any favors. Your skin will also turn orange but it's reversible when you stop overeating carrots. If you're able to eat just two cookies or half a cup of ice cream a day, chances are you don't have a weight problem.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:32 pm
Roasted chickpeas with a bunch of spices is great.
Almonds
Shredded Purple cabbage (has a good crunch)
Israeli pickles
Sliced apples with peanut butter

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:33 pm
Ice.

Hiding

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:33 pm
Air

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:34 pm
Chickpeas, Larabars, carob coated rice cakes, baby carrots with guacamole or hummus, quinoa salad (I make once a week and keep in the fridge), I make hot cocoa-1 tsp cocoa, 2 tsp maple syrup, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, hot water and a little non dairy milk of your choice, if I get around to baking-healthy muffins from the freezer

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:35 pm
It sounds weird but I've found that maybe I *am* actually hungry. As a fellow night owl, dinner is way too many hours before bedtime. If I eat a balanced meal and am full I don't get as munchy.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:40 pm
I also used to need my snack every night. Since I started concentrating on eating properly during day to me sure to eat fully balanced meals of protien, starch and veggies I don't need snack at night anymore.

The times I didn't eat properly during day is when I need to snack more at night

amother
Dandelion

amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
In general, a small portion of a snack food is usually okay. The problem is when it’s no longer a small portion…
Sipping a cup of tea (with Splenda instead of sugar) along with a little snack will make you feel much more satisfied.

Splenda is worse than sugar it's pure poison

DreamerForever

amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Lettuce. Plain, no dressing or with a squeeze of lemon, or zero-calorie dressing if you don't care about sodium content. Nobody ever got fat fressing lettuce. or cucumbers or celery, for that matter. Most other snacks may have reduced calories, but they don't have barely any. If you eat a whole box of reduced-calorie cookies or a quart of reduced-calorie ice cream every day, you will put on weight. Even carrots are not an "unlimited" food, and if you eat five pounds of carrots a day you won't be doing yourself any favors. Your skin will also turn orange but it's reversible when you stop overeating carrots. If you're able to eat just two cookies or half a cup of ice cream a day, chances are you don't have a weight problem.

Lol, you're so right. Na, I don't even pretend to be an angel by eating reduced calorie stuff. More like 'by the way snacking' (that never REALLY happened) again and again.

I'm great at making my eyes and mind look the other way --while my mouth does it's job Can't Believe It .
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise