Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Not losing weight on strict diet
Previous  1  2

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I eat less than 1400 calories, if I ate more I would gain weight.
I drink more than 12 cups of water a day.
I can't do a plant based diet.
I tried intermittent fasting but didn't feel well so I stopped doing it.
TSH was around 3.
I'm eating less than what the BMR calculator says.
Not on birth control.

For some people, eating clean reduces inflammation, which then allows the body to let go of excess weight. In that case, being careful not to eat any processed foods and cutting out inflammatory foods like gluten, sugar, dairy, corn, nightshades could help weight loss, more than counting calories. In fact, if inflammation is the problem for you, exercising a lot could actually be making things worse for your weight loss.
Also, a tsh of 3 is high-ish but you really should get a full panel.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:43 pm
Just want to say..I feel your pain. Was in similar situation
Followed The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman
Lost a good amount of weight on that BH

Ima_Shelli

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:57 pm
What sort of excercise? Is it high intensity enough? Are you working hard enough during the 45 minutes that you excercise? You need to be honest with yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone to see results.

Would working with a personal trainer help?
Are you sedentary the rest of the day?

imaima

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I eat less than 1400 calories, if I ate more I would gain weight.
I drink more than 12 cups of water a day.
I can't do a plant based diet.
I tried intermittent fasting but didn't feel well so I stopped doing it.
TSH was around 3.
I'm eating less than what the BMR calculator says.
Not on birth control.

3 is too much. You need to keep it under 2.5.
Change your doctor or use an endocrinologist.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:29 am
Very strict dieting teaches your body that you're in crisis and need to conserve energy. Eating more intuitively within the constraints of medically necessary restrictions allows your body to relax and lose the weight. Calorie restriction is especially bad with PCOS. It's terrible for your adrenals.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:34 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
What sort of excercise? Is it high intensity enough? Are you working hard enough during the 45 minutes that you excercise? You need to be honest with yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone to see results.

Would working with a personal trainer help?
Are you sedentary the rest of the day?

This is bad advice for PCOS. Women with PCOS need to exercise caution with exercise. Too high intensity = more inflammation and overall worse symptoms including difficulty losing weight. (Also, even without PCOS, you don't have to go out of your comfort zone to see results. Exercising within your "comfort zone" still increases your strength and stamina, thus expanding your "comfort zone.")

schmoois1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:22 am
TSH of 3 means you have hypothyroidism. It must must be under 2.5, as other posters said. You have a slow thyroid. Get an endocrinologist asap.

Ima_Shelli

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
This is bad advice for PCOS. Women with PCOS need to exercise caution with exercise. Too high intensity = more inflammation and overall worse symptoms including difficulty losing weight. (Also, even without PCOS, you don't have to go out of your comfort zone to see results. Exercising within your "comfort zone" still increases your strength and stamina, thus expanding your "comfort zone.")

I really don’t think this is true, that people with PCOS should tone down their excercise to avoid inflammation.

OP I really think that a session or two with a personal trainer would be helpful to you to decide on the best balance of cardio, weight training, and stretching to ensure maximal fitness and weight control. If you’re devoting that much time to it and not seeing results then it’s worth re-evaluating.

(Not to be unkind, but I go to the gym a lot and see that there is a variety of effort put in to the same class for example by different people there. Some stand around and chitchat for a lot of the time and use very light weights for example. If that’s the kind of thing you’re doing for 45 minutes it may be healthier than not doing it but it’s not going to increase your fitness by much.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:42 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
For some people, eating clean reduces inflammation, which then allows the body to let go of excess weight. In that case, being careful not to eat any processed foods and cutting out inflammatory foods like gluten, sugar, dairy, corn, nightshades could help weight loss, more than counting calories. In fact, if inflammation is the problem for you, exercising a lot could actually be making things worse for your weight loss.
Also, a tsh of 3 is high-ish but you really should get a full panel.
I'm not really eating processed foods. I'm off gluten except shabbos. Off of the other items you listed but nightshades are really hard to go off of. My diet would be so restricted, and as it is, it's really limited. I don't exercise hard. I walk at a normal pace on the treadmill. They did do a few thyroid tests.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:44 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Just want to say..I feel your pain. Was in similar situation
Followed The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman
Lost a good amount of weight on that BH
Can you give a summary of this diet, what did you eat and what is restricted?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:47 pm
My regular doctor checked my tsh and she didn't say anything about it being too high. I don't have an endocrinologist. Do you have one you can recommend in Manhattan or one of the other boroughs?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 9:13 pm
As someone with hypothyroidism tsh of 3 is too high for me. I would not be able to loose weight with that level. I don’t live in Brooklyn but maybe someone can recommend an endocrinologist.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:49 am
I am going through the same issue. Strict diet, not weight loss. My TSH level is 2.6. I am in my 40's and that is within normal for that age. Any suggestions?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:22 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
I really don’t think this is true, that people with PCOS should tone down their excercise to avoid inflammation.

It is true. It's not "toning down" the exercise, but refraining from turning it up too much. Women with PCOS have to work up to high intensity a bit more slowly and not push themselves after getting tired. How much you strain yourself and wear yourself out is not the same as what intensity the exercise is. The high intensity exercise is just as beneficial to health once it becomes easier, and for people prone to inflammation, even more so. Especially when on a restricted diet and the body doesn't have the nutrients to properly recover from exercise. Exercise is a long-term investment. By working out regularly without straining herself, combined with proper nutrition, a woman with PCOS can work her way up to doing a high intensity workout without causing inflammation. That easy high intensity workout is much more beneficial than a moderate intensity workout that's extremely difficult because inflammation and incomplete recovery from prior workouts make it harder.

This is true whether the type is insulin resistance PCOS, adrenal PCOS or inflammatory PCOS, because all the factors interact with each other. It's of course also important not to starve yourself, and OP's diet is extremely restrictive. In order to gain strength after a workout, the body needs to be given the nutrients it needs to build that strength. And in general, extreme calorie restriction causes future difficulty losing weight and maintaining weight loss, and the PCOS body typically already has this and is more vulnerable to its effect.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:32 am
amother [ Tealblue ] wrote:
I'm not in NY, sorry.
It's a combination of Intermittent fasting with the following.

Breakfast: yoghurt + 2 fruits
Lunch: Carbs + fresh veg salad
Supper: Protein + cooked veg.

No bread, potatoes, sweet potatoes or cooked carrots.

Obviously with portion sizes which she gave me but each person there would be different.

She said that sometimes women get to a point where their bodies struggle to process carbs and proteins at the same time and this works.

I was kind of skeptical but it is actually working.

This sounds similar to ‘fit for life’ diet that was so popular in the 80s & 90s. I’m dating myself….

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_for_Life
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise