Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Would you send to this camp?
Previous  1  2

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:16 pm
Don't underestimate the needs for girls to hang things up. Even Pioneers has a place to hang Shabbos clothes, and cubbies. At least you need a rod or hooks to put hangers on. Expect the girls to bring drawer towers. Have a place for them to keep their food in the bunks (Pioneers stash it in other divisions, but this would be the whole camp), and a realistic way for the girl on the top bunk to get her clothes while the girl on the bottom bunk is sleeping. And you need a place for girls to keep their toiletries in the bathrooms if there's no storage in the bunkhouse.

If the bathrooms actually work, and are close by, and there are enough (at least enough working toilets), it's workable if it's marketed well.

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:17 pm
There are still camps like this which are very popular and many people swim in lakes - even outside of camps. People buy homes on lakes for the water sports.

My friend sent her girls to a camp with large tents and communal bathrooms. No pool but it was on the beach so they swam in the ocean. Some parents actually want their kids to experience a non-luxurious camp experience. It's not about the money as that camp was quite expensive

FWIW most kids don't typically have to go to the bathroom at night - that is a function of getting old Very Happy

You don't have to appeal to everyone but I think there are lots of kids who wouldn't be squeamish about swimming in a lake. As a kid I actually swam in the lake near Lakewood - the park that used to be owned by Rockefeller when visiting my grandmother.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:22 pm
No. Nowadays I would be concerned about safety at night going to the bathroom.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:22 pm
I remember it being cold at night where I went to camp. We also had a lake and no pool. We had row boats and canoes but no insane water sports.

I don't remember where we hung our clothes but I remember having one small cubby for clothing.

How far is the walk to the showers? I would probably be ok if it was only a few steps from the bunkhouse.

luckymom1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:23 pm
I went to Sternberg and loved it! And until this second I didnt realize it was different that we didnt have a pool!!

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:26 pm
To me swimming is one of the primary activities of camp so I wouldn’t go to a camp without a pool. Having to go outside to go to the bathroom would be annoying but not a deal breaker.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:27 pm
luckymom1 wrote:
I went to Sternberg and loved it! And until this second I didnt realize it was different that we didnt have a pool!!

Sternberg had 2 pools when I was there. Communal bathrooms/showers did not bother me. But under bed storage space only would be difficult to deal with.

clarity1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:31 pm
about this they say "different strokes for different folks" if my child would be interested in it, I would send them. me personally I need a bathroom a bit closer to my bed. everything else is part of the experience. not everyone needs luxuries, some ppl want adventure.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:33 pm
Sounds wonderful!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:21 pm
I went to a camp like that! No AC though. We didn't need to hang stuff in a closet because it was camp. We had wooden cubbies. Bathrooms were pretty rustic and about 50 feet from the bunks. I didn't enjoy sharing the shower with crane flies/Daddy long leg things, but overall it was a great experience. I made great friends, loved kayaking and swimming in the lake, and didn't miss not having a pool. I think I knew about the rustic part before I went but maybe not all the details.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:52 pm
My dd , as a teen, went to a similar camp a few years ago (not in ny). Most kids were from "out of town"

They ziplined over the lake. Swam in a roped off part of the lake. Had water sports. The lake was clean. They had so much fun.. Unfortunately the camp closed down.

My boys are in Agudah. They don't have showers in the bunk houses.

I can see teens being ok with no bathroom in the bunkhouse.

Can the girls hang shabbos dresses on nails om the walls. (Everything else can be in bins)

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:53 pm
I would love it! I would definitely send my kids. To me, that’s what camp is all about.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:01 pm
Thank you all for your great and helpful feedback!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps