Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Ideas for filling, quick, nutritious lunch, not salad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 11:31 am
I work at home and I'm currently pregnant. I find that I have no time to prepare a nutritious lunch, wait until I'm starving and then grab whatever junk I find around the house: cereal and milk, cookies, etc. I'm looking for lunch ideas that are: filling (around 500 calories), quick, and also nutritious. I don't like salads because I don't have the stomach space or patience to eat enough of it to really be a meal and then I get hungry again too quickly. Also, I try to stay away from big portions of bread, such as bagels, because (sorry if this is tmi) of my issues with hemorrhoids.
Thanks!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 11:53 am
I grab a 4 ounce package of turkey breast and sandwich it between two 60 calorie slices of whole wheat bread. I also add a handful of washed grape tomatoes or handful of baby carrots.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:04 pm
I try to make a big batch of wraps and freeze them or keep them in the fridge for lunches.
Some examples of wraps I like to make are:

Breakfast wrap: eggs, cheese, sautéed mushroom and onions

Thai vegetable wrap: brown rice, roast the following bodek California blend veggies, chickpeas, sweet potato, salt, black pepper, turmeric, ginger

Cheese wrap: avocado, tomato, munster cheese, optional lettuce

Tuna wrap: Tuna, tomato, lettuce, cheese

Falafel wrap: falafel, chummus, lettuce, pickles, israeli salad, really whatever you like on falafel

Edited to add I like to use whole wheat mezonos wraps

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:05 pm
Sald doesn't have to be a pile of raw vegetables.

Start with some mixed greens and whatever other veggies you like, and add cubed chicken &/or hard-boiled eggs, chicken peas, avocado, cubed cheese (not with chicken, obviously), plus pre-cooked beets, walnuts or sunflower seeds, craisins, and some light dressing.

Camelback

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:30 pm
Stir fry
veggies in oven with meat or fish
prepare slow cooker in the morning
salad with chicken breast (prepare before starting work)
combine portion sized leftovers, freeze, heat in microwave

tichellady

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:48 pm
breakfast burritos with salsa, guacamole and can add spinach to the eggs and cheese. use whole wheat tortilla. I also can’t eat salad for lunch

hiitsme

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:23 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
I try to make a big batch of wraps and freeze them or keep them in the fridge for lunches.
Some examples of wraps I like to make are:

Breakfast wrap: eggs, cheese, sautéed mushroom and onions

Thai vegetable wrap: brown rice, roast the following bodek California blend veggies, chickpeas, sweet potato, salt, black pepper, turmeric, ginger

Cheese wrap: avocado, tomato, munster cheese, optional lettuce

Tuna wrap: Tuna, tomato, lettuce, cheese

Falafel wrap: falafel, chummus, lettuce, pickles, israeli salad, really whatever you like on falafel

Edited to add I like to use whole wheat mezonos wraps

How do you freeze it? with all the veggies? and how do you defrost it?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:26 pm
Half a cup of instant oats covered with milk and a dash of cinnamon and maple syrup. Microwave for 2 minutes (varies by your microwave).
Top with Greek yogurt, diced apple, frozen berries, etc.
So good and filling!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:50 pm
Bake 2 sweet potatoes, keep in fridge when ready to eat

Next open a can of black beans and stir fry them up with some red peppers and onions and cumin spice. Have fun with your seasoning. Place in fridge

This is my go to lunch. Sweet potatoes with stir fried beans cold or hot Add a couple of pieces of cilantro and it’s amazing and keeps you super full! Stays good in fridge for 3 days.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:36 pm
hiitsme wrote:
How do you freeze it? with all the veggies? and how do you defrost it?

I freeze the Thai veggie wraps, the breakfast wraps, and the falafel wrap (minus the veggies which I put in right before I eat)

To defrost I just pull one out of the freezer in the morning and put it on my counter. But you can microwave it if you have a microwave.

The rest I prep on Sunday and keep in the fridge.

mandr

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:49 pm
My quick lunch is a bag of instant oatmeal. Add to bowl. Pour hot water from my water cooler. Mix and add a dash of milk. Enjoy!

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:05 pm
Make a delicious salad soup at the beginning of the week when heat it up for lunch each day.

Do you have a microwave? Freeze soups in single serve containers, take one out each night before bed to thaw on the counter, and heat for lunch. That’s what I do!

Theres also omelets, and also Greek yogurt with nuts, raisins, chocolate chips,,,

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:20 pm
If your AC is really good, soup. Any kind you like. I find soup really filling. Also you can freeze in individual portions and just pop it on the counter in the morning to defrost

hiitsme

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:21 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
I freeze the Thai veggie wraps, the breakfast wraps, and the falafel wrap (minus the veggies which I put in right before I eat)

To defrost I just pull one out of the freezer in the morning and put it on my counter. But you can microwave it if you have a microwave.

The rest I prep on Sunday and keep in the fridge.

Thanks! Going to try this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers