Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Any Art History fans?

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:47 pm
So I like the history of art.
I look now already forward to going to London at the end of the month and going to the National Gallery and looking at the Hay Wain for instance. I really try to read more about art history. It's rather marvelous how it reflects on the history of the world and the culture we live in or we had lived in.
I personally have a thing from 16th/17th centrury Dutch art. Gerard van Honthorst for instance who is inspired by Caravaggio. Floris van Dijk the Stillleven met Kazen (is a picture with cheese a still life
but lots of cheese). I like especially when I see details so in Floris van Dijk how the cheeses are cut.

I also like the Haagse school which is a bit later Jozef Israëls was a Jewish painter in The Hauge and he was in the time of the Romantic he made a beautiful picture of a Jewish Wedding. I think I will post a few paintings here sometimes where I can discuss what I find interesting in them and I hope you can share your pictures?

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:24 pm
No one? Ok, I will IYH post later a painting and some explanation about that painting. Art is amazing.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:26 pm
I also love art history 😍

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:33 pm
I'm here for it! Not super knowledgeable, hope I'll learn more from this thread. Big fan of Vermeer

This is in my favorite. Would love to see it in person. Maybe you have Chickensoupprof as it's in Amsterdam

Edit having trouble posting the image but it's The Milkmaid by Vermeer

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:43 pm
scruffy wrote:
I'm here for it! Not super knowledgeable, hope I'll learn more from this thread. Big fan of Vermeer

This is in my favorite. Would love to see it in person. Maybe you have Chickensoupprof as it's in Amsterdam

Edit having trouble posting the image but it's The Milkmaid by Vermeer
Het Melkmeisje (Milkmaid) is in Amsterdam.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:27 pm
Het Melkmeisje the Milkmaid, Johannes Vermeer, ca. 1660

Oilpaiting on canvas 45,5cm × 41cm

Located Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Netherlands.

Johannes Vermeer

Johannes Vermeer was a Dutch painter born in Delft on the 31st of October in 1632. He was one of the famous painters of the Dutch Golden Age. Like most painters at that time, he got work because people hired him. They had the money and wanted to have a nice painting, however and this was mostly the case in the Netherlands at that time, the Catholic Chruch was not the main church but the Calvinistic church and the Calvinistic church didn't have J or M@ry pictures all around, their churches nor they had other lavish paintings... Most of these paintings were as they called 'memento mori' remember that you [have to] die ' which I will explain later in another painting.

The Milkmaid is a wrong name, it is actually the maidservant who is pouring out milk. She seems to be completely focused on the pouring of the milk. But iconogropgy tells us that on the right there is a box. A footwarmer and behind the footwarmer depicts Cupid this mean that the Milkmaid is ''arousal of a woman'' or daydreamingr about a man. The footwarmer can also be an [inappropriate] symbol because it warms you up from under the skirt. But in lots of Dutch paintings around that time have a footwarmer so it can also be an image for someone who works hard and sometimes needs to rest.

The wide mounthed jug, can also lead to zexual arousel because it represents the body from underneath the waste. But why did Vermeer not specify that? Well, the Netherlands was in that time Calvinistic. That's why. So things weren't as explicit.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:30 pm
This is fascinating. Keep it going!

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:37 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Het Melkmeisje the Milkmaid, Johannes Vermeer, ca. 1660

Oilpaiting on canvas 45,5cm × 41cm

Located Rijksmuseum Amsterdam Netherlands.

Johannes Vermeer

Johannes Vermeer was a Dutch painter born in Delft on the 31st of October in 1632. He was one of the famous painters of the Dutch Golden Age. Like most painters at that time, he got work because people hired him. They had the money and wanted to have a nice painting, however and this was mostly the case in the Netherlands at that time, the Catholic Chruch was not the main church but the Calvinistic church and the Calvinistic church didn't have J or M@ry pictures all around, their churches nor they had other lavish paintings... Most of these paintings were as they called 'memento mori' remember that you [have to] die ' which I will explain later in another painting.

The Milkmaid is a wrong name, it is actually the maidservant who is pouring out milk. She seems to be completely focused on the pouring of the milk. But iconogropgy tells us that on the right there is a box. A footwarmer and behind the footwarmer depicts Cupid this mean that the Milkmaid is ''arousal of a woman'' or daydreamingr about a man. The footwarmer can also be an [inappropriate] symbol because it warms you up from under the skirt. But in lots of Dutch paintings around that time have a footwarmer so it can also be an image for someone who works hard and sometimes needs to rest.

The wide mounthed jug, can also lead to zexual arousel because it represents the body from underneath the waste. But why did Vermeer not specify that? Well, the Netherlands was in that time Calvinistic. That's why. So things weren't as explicit.

Thanks chickensoupprof! Some things I did not know here!

I think there was speculation that Vermeer was actually Catholic (his mother in law was a very devout Catholic.) Interesting to think how it might have affected him and his art within wider Dutch society.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:47 pm
scruffy wrote:
Thanks chickensoupprof! Some things I did not know here!

I think there was speculation that Vermeer was actually Catholic (his mother in law was a very devout Catholic.) Interesting to think how it might have affected him and his art within wider Dutch society.

He was born Calvinistic though and indeed he converted to catholicism in order to marry his wife.

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:21 pm
Interesting interpretation...

Matisse

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:30 pm
My husband and I are heading to the Matisse exhibit at MOMA next week. Art history lover here:) Before we became frum.....I majored in Art Education in college and then taught art in public school. I teach art part time at our day school and love it.

I took my daughter in law to the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit in Chicago last summer. It was a great way for her to experience art in an "appropriate" way. I checked to see which of Van Gogh's pieces were in the exhibit before I bought the tickets.

Enjoy your trip!

Aurora

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:33 pm
I'm here for this. Don't know a lot, but it's something I enjoy

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:34 pm
I love art history!
Khan academy (online) is a great resource for this. I’ve learned a lot through them.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:26 am
I decided to post a new painting in regarding to the Yanim Noraim.

Maurycy Gottlieb, Jews Praying in the Synagogue on Yom Kippur, 1878
Oil on canvas, 243x190cm
Tel Aviv Museum of Art

This painting is a famous painting, it is I think the most famous Jewish painting, but I think most people don't know the meaning and the life of the painter.

Gottlieb was born either February 21th or February 28th in 1856. What stands out is that we don't really know when Gottlieb was born, my assumption is that there might be messing up with the Jewish calendar and the other calendar.

Gottlieb was born in Galicia in Austrian Poland and which now belongs to Ukraine. Drohobycz in the region of Lviv. He was one of eleven children in a frum family where they spoke Yiddish and Polish. In Lviv he was introduced to painting by Michal Godlewski and when he was 15 he began his studies in Vienna after 3 years he went to Krakow to study under Matjeko. However he left Krakow because of antisemitism. He went to Norway where he stayed a short time and later went to Vienna but he eventually settled in 1879 in Krakow and started a new project, he died the same year despite his young death at 23 he left 300 paintings and sketches some of them were never finished.
Interesting piece of trivia, he was engaged to Laura Rosenfeld, but she rejected hem for a Berlin Banker he got ill after that.

Ok,

So back to the painting. We begin on the top where the ezras nashim is located, what as a jew stands out is that there is no mechitzah. This was a choice of Gottlieb so we could see the women on Yom Kippur. Look at the variery of faces, the old women browsing in her machzor, the woman with a red tichel looking a bit dazed? Then you see a presumably wealthy woman, it seems like she wears a fur coat. People said that the old woman might be his mother and the woman with the red coat who is whispering something to an other woman might be Laura Rosenfeld, whispering to his mother.

Right beneath Laura we see Gottlieb resting his head in his hand this is the first self portrait in the painting, the other self-portraits are him on the left as a young boy and as a slightly older boy sitting next to presumably his father on the right.

Then we go to the center where presumably the Rav is holding a seifer torah. This seifer torah is dedicated to Gottlieb himself! Gottlieb died a year after this painting, some people assume that Gottlieb was severly depressed. But if you take the religious meaning of the Yamim Noraim (this is my chiddush), it is on this day when death and life is decided! Also, there were in these times lots of antisemitism, and political instability under the Russian Empire perhaps, so it was dangerous to live as a Jew.

The fact that Gottlieb portrayed himself in the stages of life (young adolescent, child, and teen) and the seifer torah dedicated to himself make it that this is a really Yom Kippur painting. Even if it was not given the name 'Jews praying in Synagogue on Yom Kippur' you could see at the solomeny of the Jews, the stages Gottlieb portrayed himself and the seifer torah that this was all about reflection, soul searching. Look at the sofar, on the table where the little boy (Gottlieb himself) is standing next he almost want to take the sofar. I find it a beautiful painting the light out of the synagogue, the atarah of the elderly man and how the wrinkling of the tallis is.

What do you think?

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:46 am
Edit: in a new post: There is also no date written down on the Seifer Torah, my guess is that this is why it is a Yom Kippur painting and not a Pesach, Shabbos or Shavuos one. Life of death is sealed on Yom Kippur, Gottlieb didn't obviously not know when it was sealed, no again he paints him self 3 times, reflecting on himself and nows that there will be a din on him but he doesn't know what and when. Another thing of the colorful tallis, it can be that his is a link to Yosef HaTzaddik?

skirtsandsocks

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 10:52 am
I'm a big art history fan! I started working at a contemporary art gallery recently and love it. have you ever heard of the card game Show Me the Monet? it's shabbos friendly and like an elevated version of go fish where you collect art pieces and trade with other people. highly recommend it.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 7:12 am

Jozef Israëls, Joodse Bruiloft 1903.
Oil on Canvas, 137 cm (54 in) x 148 cm (58 in)
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, Netherlands

First, let me introduce the painter. Jozef Israëls was born on the 27th of January in the Dutch city of Groningen.

Israels was raised in a simple Jewish family. It is not clear whether they were shomer torah u'mitzvos. It is known that he learned Hebrew and had Jewish lessons, but it is not known whether he led a frum life later in life.
From the age of eleven he took painting and drawing lessons at the Groningen Minerva Academy. In 1842 he left for Amsterdam to take lessons from Jan Adam Kruseman and Jan Willem Pieneman. From 1845 to 1847 he stayed in Paris, and later also in Germany, finally settling in The Hague in 1871.

In The Hague, he painted simple people from fishing villages. After all, The Hague is located by the sea. The painting Children of the Sea is one of the paintings from that time.

His son Isaac Israels also painted and was his student. He died in 1911 in The Hague as one of the most famous painters of the Hague school (Haagse school).

And now the painting, we see here the chosson and the kallah in the middle. They are in the light, the rest of the guests are in the dark. Look at the light and dark effect, this was typical Isaac Israels, and he is compared to Rembrandt who used the same technique. There are certain comperisons with Rembrandt Joodse Bruidtje and this painting.

The chosson and the kallah stand under the tallis draped over their heads and the chosson slides the ring onto the kallah's finger, holding her hand.

On the left, we see a burning candle and on the table wedding gifts such as the pearl necklace.

This is a wealthy family. Israel did not start painting Jewish themes until later, before he painted the poor people in the fishing villages.
It is unclear who the chosson and the kallah are, is the daughter of Isaac herself? Or from friends or a cousin?

I think it's a beautiful painting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics