Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to get a degree in social work
1  2  3  Next

burningalive

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:49 pm
Does anyone have personal experience with any program such as TTI, Sara Shenirer etc? Or, does anyone know about available scholarships? Would love to go for a degree, but I'm not sure it's feasible for me financially or timewise. Would appreciate any insight/personal experience.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:52 pm
burningalive wrote:
Does anyone have personal experience with any program such as TTI, Sara Shenirer etc? Or, does anyone know about available scholarships? Would love to go for a degree, but I'm not sure it's feasible for me financially or timewise. Would appreciate any insight/personal experience.

Just out of curiosity- what is your goal in the degree
The frum market is flooded, might not make sense tbh

burningalive

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:56 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I work very few hours right now, I'm not really looking to make a lucrative career out of it, more to feel self fulfilled.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:58 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I don't know that this is true. Maybe location dependent. In Lakewood, every decent therapist has a waiting list so I would think that as many as there are there is still room for more.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:15 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
I don't know that this is true. Maybe location dependent. In Lakewood, every decent therapist has a waiting list so I would think that as many as there are there is still room for more.

Takes a while to get there - might not be worth it to get the degree just for kicks.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:21 pm

I don't think this is true. Said as sister of Lakewood therapist who is very good. Yeah, she has a waiting list in the agency she works for part time where she gets paid peanuts. But building up her own practice, with clients who pay the going rate of private therapists (which is what really pays off the student loans and the bills) is taking longer, harder to get.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:36 pm
An MSW includes 2 years of field work, around 21 hours a week for 4 semesters, and most likely it won't be a paid internship. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands you may need to consider this.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 4:07 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I don't think this is true. Said as sister of Lakewood therapist who is very good. Yeah, she has a waiting list in the agency she works for part time where she gets paid peanuts. But building up her own practice, with clients who pay the going rate of private therapists (which is what really pays off the student loans and the bills) is taking longer, harder to get.

Yup,
I agree with this. I have a relative who is a very qualified therapist in Lakewood with many many years of experience . She’s very good at what she does. She’s been promoted at the agency many times. But somehow those private practice slots are hard to fill. People come and go. Inflation is hitting everyone and it’s not so easy to fill those slots anymore.The funny thing is, everyone assumes she’s full because she’s so good, so that ends up hurting her as well bc she gets less referrals.

That being said there definitely are those therapists who are full and are charging a high fee and are raking it in. It can be a very lucrative field. It takes time and good Mazal to get there.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 4:52 pm
Op if finances are a concern maybe look outside of the frum programs. I can’t imagine they aren’t more expensive

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:26 pm
Contact Sara Schneirer. My dd is there now and many of her classmates pay close to nothing.
The school doesn't offer the scholarship, its government funded for income eligible individuals

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:39 pm
burningalive wrote:

Sara Scenirer is offering a free degree if you work in their office

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:07 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Sara Scenirer is offering a free degree if you work in their office

How would I find out about this?

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:29 pm
How would I find out about this?

I’m wondering about this as well. Please share details

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:30 pm
Also with regards to the field being saturated, I don’t think it’s an issue. Yes it may be hard to get to private practice if that’s your goal but still doable.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Is it flooded? I hear that there's more of a need than ever.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:05 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
I’m wondering about this as well. Please share details

My daughter is a SS employee. They are looking for more people to work for them since they are growing like crazy in Brooklyn and Lakewood. HOWEVER if you do opt to get free tuition you likely will not get a paycheck at all. Its a trade.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:30 pm
Thanks for sharing. I actually don’t live in Brooklyn but would love to work for them.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:31 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
My daughter is a SS employee. They are looking for more people to work for them since they are growing like crazy in Brooklyn and Lakewood. HOWEVER if you do opt to get free tuition you likely will not get a paycheck at all. Its a trade.

You can just call the office and ask if you can work in lieu of tuition?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:42 pm
Sara Schenirer has openings for post-seminary students in their Boro Park, Monsey, and Five Towns offices. Great work environment, family-like atmosphere, all yomim tovim off, competitive salary and free college degree.

Job Description
Work in our friendly offices assisting our site coordinators in all areas of operations including scheduling, assisting students, admissions, and registrations, and much more. Earn valuable experience while earning your degree.

Hours
M-T 9-5
F- 9-12:30 (winter) or 1:30 (summer)

Limited openings available immediately.

Salary
Competitive salary plus free college degree ($20,000 value)

To apply for any of these positions, please send a resume (including HS & seminary education) to jobs@sarasch.com along with the location that you would be interested in.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:43 pm
I’m a therapist in Lakewood. Almost every therapist I know is full. There’s definitely a need for GOOD therapists. Takes awhile to get there.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics