Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
All his friends have electric bikes
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:44 pm
Some kids know all the tricks. They'll probably do very well in business.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:06 pm
I do not let if it makes you feel good and I'm pretty sure my kids' school is no longer allowing them either.

I'm happy as annoying as it is to drive my boys to minyan if that's what it takes to make sure they stay safe.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:12 pm
I hate to ask but-
What is this world coming too???

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:34 pm
My son is younger but when he gets older I plan on NOT getting him any electric riding vehicle- no segways, scooter or bike. Besides the cost- I worry about the safety aspect. Plus the whole no exercise issue.
My neighbor has an electric bike. And I see him and his friends riding around in unsafe manners. Helmets off or barely on (the chin strap has to be snug and actually buckled!). Darting into intersections...

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:26 am
All great comments. Thank you ladies! OP, What is bothering you about him not having a bike? is it the $? Is it safety? If it's safety, he can probably do it someday behind your back. Teach him the rules, helmets, on driving near the curb. etc. If it's the $ then maybe he should wait till after his bar mitzva, and see what he gets. Tell him you will pay up to $200 (or whatever amount) and he needs to pay the rest. As he said you will not drive him to Yeshiva, or pick him up anymore. Forgets something, too bad. he has a bike. It breaks, its on him. You will not fix it etc. The best answer is of course, I don't care what your neighbors/friends are doing. My home,my rules. Life isn't so simple like that anymore. If you have a rule and stick by it you are great parents.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:49 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
My son is younger but when he gets older I plan on NOT getting him any electric riding vehicle- no segways, scooter or bike. Besides the cost- I worry about the safety aspect. Plus the whole no exercise issue.
My neighbor has an electric bike. And I see him and his friends riding around in unsafe manners. Helmets off or barely on (the chin strap has to be snug and actually buckled!). Darting into intersections...

This.
I live in israel. The most dangerous thing on the road is an electric scooter or bike. They are silent and quick as a car.
No insurance company is willing to insure you for these vehicles.
If you love your son don't buy!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 12 yr old soon to be bar mitzvah keeps asking for a $700 and up electric bike.
We don’t have that kind of money to spend. I keep telling him that we just can’t do it now but all his friends have one. I listed all his friends thinking that maybe one wouldn’t have but guess what they all have. I see in the streets countless of boys riding them.
Where in the world is everyone getting all this money for a electric bike.
My son pointed out bikes and I looked up on Amazon and they are over $1000.
Am I the odd one out that I just can’t see buying something this expensive for teenagers?
But my son is the only one amongst his friends who don’t have one.
If it makes any difference I live in New York.

Electric bikes aren't safe and in Israel you need to be 16 and have some sort of permit to use them.

If all his friends have e-cigarettes at age 14, will you buy for him also?

I think this is the same thing. Except that electric bikes are more immediately dangerous to the rest of the community than e-cigarettes are. And e-cigarettes are more immediately dangerous to your son than electric bikes are.

I would say no, just because of the danger. Luckily the law has done it for me.
https://ask.ralbad.org.il/%D7%.....2016.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:06 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
Can all "mean mommies" come together!!

Another mean mommy here

My son has same complaints. We bought him a electric scooter that doesn't go too quick. Of course he's not happy. He wants a electric scooter or bike that goes very quick. Sounds dangerous to me! But only I don't let him have it. All mothers let their kids have it means it's safe!
How's he going to be able to go to daven, shul is so "far" (managed till now)

What gets me is that none of us and none of our kids are safe as long as there are moms who allow these electric bikes and scooters.

Not letting our kids have them isn't enough.

There need to be laws everywhere banning these things.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:18 am
I paid $400 for mine. I told my son no way I'm paying more...I also got it for my son because he didnt go to camp as promised...so maybe all the kids get scooters but perhaps there is a story underneath

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:
It's a pity there aren't age restrictions.

H here on Belgium we have age restrictions on them. Only from age 16 you can ride them. But I see so many adults without a helmet and here you can rent them for when one stop them drop them off at a drop of zone on the St.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics