Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to get a degree in social work
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 5:47 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I’m a therapist in Lakewood. Almost every therapist I know is full. There’s definitely a need for GOOD therapists. Takes awhile to get there.

I just graduated and regretting getting my degree so this makes me feel a little better. I didn’t realize how much work I would need to put in to be successful. Also I just realized how hard it is to get a normal job during the day that pays well.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:16 pm
I think before going into the degree please speak to people who are successful. They will tell you it took a time to get to that place and for them to even to feel good with the career they chose. It’s not a degree you go into for the money especially if you want to do clinical work. If you want to work in a hospital or sometbwere else there is a better starting salary. I’m getting ready to apply for my masters in social work and this is what I have heard so far.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:25 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
I think before going into the degree please speak to people who are successful. They will tell you it took a time to get to that place and for them to even to feel good with the career they chose. It’s not a degree you go into for the money especially if you want to do clinical work. If you want to work in a hospital or sometbwere else there is a better starting salary. I’m getting ready to apply for my masters in social work and this is what I have heard so far.

Don’t go into it for the money, but if you’re good at what you do, eventually you can do well financially.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 6:34 pm
Don’t go into it for the money, but if you’re good at what you do, eventually you can do well financially.

Exactly

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:33 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:

I personally went in to it because I wanted to help people. I didn’t realize how depressing and emotional draining it could be. I just started so could be it gets easier…. The schooling definitely taught me a lot I feel lik I’m a better wife mother friend etc…

Growing

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:05 am
Coral-
Id love to hear more which part of the schooling helped you grow as a person - wife mother friend.
care to share?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:12 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
I personally went in to it because I wanted to help people. I didn’t realize how depressing and emotional draining it could be. I just started so could be it gets easier…. The schooling definitely taught me a lot I feel lik I’m a better wife mother friend etc…

It actually surprises me how many young just out of high school girls go straight into the field - for the reasons you posted. (Not saying that’s you, I have no idea.)
I went to social work school after some life experiences that, firstly helped me understand deep pain, which helps me truly empathize with my clients. Secondly that experience put me in a place where I’m not shocked to hear anything. I can’t imagine most of these high school girls are in that place.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:37 am
It actually surprises me how many young just out of high school girls go straight into the field - for the reasons you posted. (Not saying that’s you, I have no idea.)
I went to social work school after some life experiences that, firstly helped me understand deep pain, which helps me truly empathize with my clients. Secondly that experience put me in a place where I’m not shocked to hear anything. I can’t imagine most of these high school girls are in that place.

Unfortunately I went through a lot as a child and experienced a lot so I felt like I wasn’t so naïve going into the field… can’t say the same for all the other people who went into the field

I wouldn’t say I experience shock when listening to clients. I think because of my own experience I feel clients pain deeply… I guess I need to set better boundaries

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:48 am
From the people I have spoke To in the field they have told me you really need good supervision and make sure you have good boundaries. Also getting your own therapy even if it’s as needed is very beneficial.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:51 am
Re going to non-frum programs, I wouldn't do that these days. And I say this as someone who did it twenty years ago. It was already difficult, and now, particularly in the NY area, you are inundated with wokeness. You need the frum programs to give you the necessary material without the layer they put over it, and to give you a framework for doing the job as a halachic Jew. If you do a secular program, you need amazing regularly scheduled and on-demand guidance from a rav or frum mentor, and you need to be strong.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:52 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Re going to non-frum programs, I wouldn't do that these days. And I say this as someone who did it twenty years ago. It was already difficult, and now, particularly in the NY area, you are inundated with wokeness. You need the frum programs to give you the necessary material without the layer they put over it, and to give you a framework for doing the job as a halachic Jew. If you do a secular program, you need amazing regularly scheduled and on-demand guidance from a rav or frum mentor, and you need to be strong.

I know MHP including MDs who are trying to phase out because dealign with the o utside world is getting so tough.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:53 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

That’s exactly why I plan on doing ss even though I can probably get my college fully covered if I go in the state where I live

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 10:01 am
Want go echo the sentiment above regarding the work being extremely emotionally exhausting. I did it as a single and tolerated it well and had good boundaries. As a mother of several young children I struggled tremendously as I felt I was bleeding a stone.
If you go ahead with private practice get amazing supervision!

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 10:29 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Unfortunately I went through a lot as a child and experienced a lot so I felt like I wasn’t so naïve going into the field… can’t say the same for all the other people who went into the field

I wouldn’t say I experience shock when listening to clients. I think because of my own experience I feel clients pain deeply… I guess I need to set better boundaries

I’m sure there are others like you, I just don’t believe that the throngs of young girls in sw school have all gone through a lot at that point in their lives.

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 1:48 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Contact Sara Schneirer. My dd is there now and many of her classmates pay close to nothing.
The school doesn't offer the scholarship, its government funded for income eligible individuals

Can you pm me- I have questions about the program.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 1:53 pm
They are having an open house this coming up Tuesday. You can get the details for it in their website

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 2:25 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
They are having an open house this coming up Tuesday. You can get the details for it in their website

I am currently in another program and am miserable...

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 2:29 pm
I really want to join the program that starts in January…

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 2:30 pm
ruby slippers wrote:

I’m not currently in the program so yes it’s prob best to hear from someone who did it or is currently a student

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Sep 09 2022, 3:06 pm
ruby slippers wrote:

Social work is the wrong career path for you. Cut your losses and choose something else
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics