Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
S/O bnei Brak only place boys anorexia larger than girls
Previous  1  2  3

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:33 am
Bnei Brak happens to be the poorest city in Israel. An American study https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....olis. showed that people in low-income families are more likely to suffer from eating disorders, of which anorexia is one. It doesn't explain why the Israeli study showed more anorexia among boys. My guess would be that it isn't, in fact, more common among boys in BB, but that it's detected less often in girls because the charedi mode of wearing loose, shapeless, all-enveloping clothing and the general reluctance to show one's body even in all-female surroundings means that evidence of anorexia is less likely to be detected in girls until it has reached a very advanced stage. Charedi males don't exactly wear body-conscious clothing, but their clothes are somewhat more revealing than girls' clothing. At least they wear snug-ish belts.

Unless the speaker provides the sources of her information, I'd be skeptical. And the bit about "pressure to excel" being the cause is sheer speculation on her part. How do you even measure that? And as if boys in BB are pressured more than boys in other charedi communities? And as if MO boys aren't pressured to get into medical school, preferably a prestigious one?

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:48 am
I've been trying to find any mention of such a study online and have come up empty. I've found articles about Maayanei Hayeshua's ED department, and about ED among charedi communities, and they all seem to talk mostly about girls and young women. I have found very little reference to young men with the disorder, in BB or elsewhere. If it were true that anorexic males outnumber females in BB (whether in absolute numbers or in rates), and a published study showing this did, in fact, exist, one would expect to find at least some hits on an internet search.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children