Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My kids dont sleep WWYD?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:33 pm
Ages 3 and 18 months. They sing and talk and act silly in the room sometimes till 8:30. 3 year old comes out of bed and asks for drinks etc
3 year old comes out of bed in middle of night. when he wakes up and comes to my room in either of our beds it can be anywhere from 4am. He wont always fall asleep in our beds and even if he does he moves around a lot and prevents us from falling back asleep
Now he has a bad cold bec he doesnt get enough sleep.
Were both exhausted and at our wits end.

WWYD?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:36 pm
I would stagger bedtimes and put them to sleep at different times. I would put the older one in first. Walk him back to bed when he comes in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:38 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I would stagger bedtimes and put them to sleep at different times. I would put the older one in first. Walk him back to bed when he comes in.

I put the younger one in first but he started not falling asleep right away and then it comes a time that the older one needs to go in

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:44 pm
Does the three year old nap?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:45 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
Does the three year old nap?

No

balance

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:48 pm
If the younger one naps during the day, put the older one in first. The younger one may not need that much sleep.
It bothers me more that your 3 yr old isn't sleeping through the night. I would start with a full physical at the pediatrician, check for sleep apnea, calcium levels, iron etc. If even in your bed he is unable to sleep calmly, there is something wrong. If everything is fine, see if it is a sensory thing. Even if it is hard to get him to sleep, he should be staying asleep once he gets there.

leaf

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:52 pm
They may be overtired if you are putting them to sleep at 8:30, which then makes it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. I woukd try moving bedtime up to 7.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:59 pm
leaf wrote:
They may be overtired if you are putting them to sleep at 8:30, which then makes it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. I woukd try moving bedtime up to 7.

She said they party together (after bedtime) until 8:30, not that they're put to bed at 8:30.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:59 pm
Night Light for the 3 year old. He can stay in bed with books, or music. If the baby also wants to join, fine. Tell the big child no coming out. Maybe he can have a water bottle with a quarter cup water inside that he can drink from near his bed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:03 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
She said they party together (after bedtime) until 8:30, not that they're put to bed at 8:30.

Right. The younger one goes in around 6:30 and the older one between 7 and 7:30

he started this shtick around 3-4 weeks ago when we switched him out of a crib to a bed
He moves around a lot in his own bed as well

amother
Whitewash

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:49 pm
my kids are the same age and do the same thing.
once in a while, I give melatonin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics