Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic design course

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 5:01 am
I am in a radically different field but the work life balance is very difficult.
I recently discovered that I am talented at design.

I wanted to pursue training in this area. Where do I start? End?

Is there anything free?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:13 am
There are lots of amazing resources online that are free or very cheap. Youtube, Linkdin learning, and Udemy for starts.

You would need alot of self motivation to learn that way.

You need to learn the programs, but make sure you also spend time learning things like design theory (color, typography, layout ect.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:26 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
There are lots of amazing resources online that are free or very cheap. Youtube, Linkdin learning, and Udemy for starts.

You would need alot of self motivation to learn that way.

You need to learn the programs, but make sure you also spend time learning things like design theory (color, typography, layout ect.)

Can you list all the areas I need to be sure to study?
Can I learn just one area work in that area and then learn more and add more jobs as my skill set increases?

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:48 am
Start by learning illustrator, Photoshop, and basic indesign. Those programs are industry standard. Although its hard to say which one you will need for your first job because different jobs have different requirements. You may be able to get away with just one, depending on the job...

I think if you go on linkedin learning there are courses that go through the all the basic principles of design.

Also I suggest doing a branding course - one that teaches concepts such as speaking to clients and understanding their business and how to cater to their target market.

Once you know the basics, one really great way to learn is to find an entry level job where there are senior designers / creative directors that you can learn from.

Or if you want to pay, I hear Chaya Muriks course is amazing, they teach a lot beyond just how to use the programs.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:58 am
I would just like to point out though that graphic design may not provide the change in work-life balance that you're looking for. I've been freelancing from home for years and I love it but there are nights I'm up until 12 or 1 in the morning finishing something up. I'm working erev yom tov, chol hamoed, motzei shabbos. I can be firm and set my own hours but if a good client calls up desperate for a change last minute nd they have a huge meeting tomorrow and need it for a presentation, I'm not going to tell them to wait until my holiday is over.

The field is also hard to get into because there is so much that people can do now on their own online. Canva has beautiful artwork that can be produced in mere minutes. I can't compete for that market. Yes, I still have my high end clients that need something more specific or custom, but it's definitely not what it used to be

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:13 pm
I’d like to jump in to this a few months late.

I looked in to a few computer graphics and graphic design courses that I see advertised this summer. Chaya Muriks course looks awesome, and much shorter than others. Does anyone have experience if it’s comprehensive enough to go in to the industry right after? Or are there additional courses needed?

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:51 am
Chaya's course is shorter because she is offering an intensive through the summer with more hours per week. It contains the same amount of material as the other courses if not more. Most of her students go straight into the field. You shouldn't need any additional courses.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:59 am
IMHO if you want to get into serious graphic design (larger projects than flyers) you need to learn a lot more than basic InDesign. I am appalled at the amount of "professional" graphic designers that are still producing trifolds or booklets in Photoshop.

And the many designers who obviously have a gift for style and produce gorgeous work but have no clue how to use baselines, styles, GREP, and master pages so that trying to modify their document is a nightmare.

Sometimes I feel like I should teach an advanced InDesign course as a public service Smile

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:28 pm
amother [ Lotus ] wrote:
Chaya's course is shorter because she is offering an intensive through the summer with more hours per week. It contains the same amount of material as the other courses if not more. Most of her students go straight into the field. You shouldn't need any additional courses.

Thanks. That’s helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics