Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Meal Ideas

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 9:44 pm
Hi, what are good meal ideas for vacationing in a place without kosher food? We can bring whatever we want but we are traveling for a looong time so nothing perishable preferably as it would be hard to keep fresh. We just need simple basic meal ideas. Nothing is too obvious to share. I am not good at this. Thank you in advance!

jd1212

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 9:48 pm
Bread with
1) peanut butter and jelly
2) cottage cheese
3) chummus and sliced tomato
4) cream cheese and lox

Microwavable oatmeal. Wait 24 hours, remove plate, and kasher microwave

Cereal and milk, yogurts
Bananas, apples
Sweet potatoes can be double wrapped in an oven to be baked if you don’t want to kasher the oven
Salmon

Bring tin pans, aluminum foil, paper goods

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 9:56 pm
Tradition soups
Wacky mac

Bread- pb/cream cheese/tuna

Pasta- can make on a burner or in oven with water in pan

Betty Crocker- pizza, eggs, veggies, schnitzel, etc.

BBQ- grilled chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers

Deli sandwiches

Beef Jerky

effess

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 9:57 pm
Tuna
Sardines
Dried meats

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:00 pm
Need more info

Will you have a kitchen there? Do you plan on Cooking or only reheating? Or not eating hot food at all?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:03 pm
crackers, cans or pouches of tuna, shelf stable kosher meals, soup in a cup, hot cocoa, peanut butter, cereal.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:14 pm
Some non perishable items that you can take are dried salami/beef jerky/beef sticks, tuna pouches, mayo packets, natural dried fruit leather, applesauce pouches, nuts, granola bars, protein bars, chocolate, peanut butter, rice cakes.

Humus if you find the non perishable cups.

Soup cups, instant oatmeal, instant lentil/rice cups, instant mashed potatoes, 5 minute rice, if you'll have access to boiling water from a clean coffee maker or if you take along a camping hot water insertion piece...
https://a.co/d/082lySj

You can also take shelf stable/no refrigeration needed ice cappuccino (if you're checking in luggage and can bring liquids)... Golden Flow now makes UHT milk that can stay on the shelf until opened as well.

If you'll have access to a microwave you can take the shelf stable Meal Mart Amazing Meals that are double wrapped and don't need refrigeration. The meat meals are better than the chicken and parve ones.

You can purchase fresh fish at your location, along with fresh eggs, fresh veggies and fresh produce.

Put together tuna on melba toast from your bag. Also peanut butter on rice cake. Dried salami and crackers. You'll get hungry for real food. Make an eggs and potato frittata. Salmon, rice and green beans. Make a huge salad topped with a bag of shelf stable lentils or canned chickpeas. Add a raw egg nestled into the boiling water of a soup cup and let sit covered for a few minutes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:25 pm
Are you driving or flying? Will you have a kitchen available?

We tend to do road trips and stay in Airbnbs, so what we do might not work for you.

Breakfast we usually have cereal and milk, which we can buy almost anywhere (we eat OU and OUD). For lunches we usually have PB&J sandwiches. For our dinners, I cook and freeze full meals in 9x13 pans and bring them still frozen in a cooler. Even if we drive for hours and hours they stay frozen. We keep everything in the freezer in the Airbnb and transfer dinner for the next night into the fridge the night before to defrost overnight and while we're out having fun. Then we triple wrap and heat in the oven and I cut up veggies to supplement the meal.

Popular vacation meals in my family:
Mac and cheese and/or baked ziti
Sausages and peppers over rice
Shawarma chicken served with chummus, pitas, and veggies
Taco night with ground beef, canned corn/beans, fresh veggies, and tortilla chips
Grilled chicken wraps

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:26 pm
I am so grateful for the responses. I am not good at these. I am especially in need of dinner ideas because I feel like snacks, breakfast, and lunch are easier to pull off. Thank you!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am so grateful for the responses. I am not good at these. I am especially in need of dinner ideas because I feel like snacks, breakfast, and lunch are easier to pull off. Thank you!

Flying or driving? How long is the trip? Will you have a fridge? Will there be an oven/microwave/stove or can you bring an electric skillet to plug in?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:51 am
We flew to another country literally within 2 hours of deciding to book tickets we were already on our way to the airport. We barely took any food with us. We were in a country where we could find a few things that were ou. We bought whole salmon which we were told that we could use and just wash off very well. So most of our meals consisted of salmon rice and potatoes. Everything we could buy there. Be a lot of fruits and vegetables and luckily found some OU snacks to take with us. It was just my husband and I so we didn't need a lot of food but it was so freeing not to think about packing so much food and we really ate quite well. I would suggest a pack a pan for eggs that we remember to do. And we brought a knife and cutting board and some disposable things. Everything else we could find there. Have a great trip!

SG18

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 3:03 am
I always bring a nonstick pan with me and get eggs wherever we go, for breakfasts.

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:55 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....19864

This was my question a couple of months ago. Got a weeks worth of meals with the suggestions given.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:34 am
We always take an electric kettle. Hot water gives a lot of food options:

Instant Soups
Ramen Noodles (just put in a plastic container with boiling water for a few minutes, without the flavoring, and you have plain noodles that can be eaten with ketchup, etc.)
Mashed Potatoes
Oatmeal
Coffee/Tea
Hot Cocoa

In general, when we travel we take frozen hamburgers and hot dogs in a cooler, even when flying. If we are driving we take a small grill and if driving buy disposable grills at our destination. We never had a problem finding buns and condiments at our destination. Can you tell us where you are going so that maybe someone has a better idea of what kosher food is available to buy when you get there?

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 10:58 am
Both driving and flying I've taken along a crockpot with ready prepared frozen meals to put in the night before.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 6:48 pm
My menu (breakfast and lunch only):
Pasta
Wacky mac
Pizza crusts (bring sauce cheese)
Sandwich maker
Eggs
Pizza pitas
Wraps
Avocado toasts
Cereals