Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Moms of larger families (w young kids)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 10:46 am
We bh have more than handful of kids, all youngish. We don't get to go on vacations like we used to (aside for financial reasons), it's just very hard with so many little ones. I love every one of my kids and I would never exchange any of them for anything in the world. I am very happy with my life's decisions.

But sometimes, just sometimes, I wish we could just pack up and go away for the weekend. Or for a few days. I work all year and thru the summer. But to pack up so many ppl for just a few days is so hard and not worth it.

Anyone get me?

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:02 am
I don't even work in the summer and I still can't go away. Have a nice amount of kids under age 13 kah and the thought of packing them up and going away with them overwhelms me. But I really really really wish we can get away for a few days. So badly needed.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:04 am
Yeah it's hard. Every time we do it, we're like what are we thinking, it's sooo much work. I'm never doing this again. I look at it as it's not a vacation for me. It's about creating memories as a family and that the kids should have a good time. But it's totally harder for me, than it would be staying home.
We did a single overnight just now. We rented a couple of motel rooms. It wasn't as much work as we were only going one night. Just packed everyone a change of clothes, plenty of bread, snacks and off we went. Kids had a blast. We went boating for the bigger ones and the little ones could paddle at the edge of the lake. It didn't work out so expensive, especially because it was only the one night.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:10 am
No matter how old your kids are vacationing with kids is not a vacation for the adults. I come back exhausted every time. But it's so worth it for the beautiful memories and good times that we create with our children. And we love looking back at the pictures.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:12 am
I agree about creating family memories. But its not just about the kids. I need a vacation!! How long can we run and run non-stop without a break??

Staying in the city is no picnic either. Getting the kids ready for daycamp, and who has swimming, trip, who needs lunch, and everything is so exhausting.

I'm thinking of taking a few days off work, staying home and doing nothing.

mizle10

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree about creating family memories. But its not just about the kids. I need a vacation!! How long can we run and run non-stop without a break??

Staying in the city is no picnic either. Getting the kids ready for daycamp, and who has swimming, trip, who needs lunch, and everything is so exhausting.

If you need a vacation that’s something else entirely.
Vacations and family trips are not the same thing.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Of course you need a break! Have you ever gone away with just your dh?

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 11:57 am
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
Of course you need a break! Have you ever gone away with just your dh?

Who is going to watch all the kids?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:00 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
Who is going to watch all the kids?

This! Many people will leave their kids with family/friends. While I do bh have great family and friends, leaving my kids is not something I feel right doing. I also have, in the last 14 years had kids too young to leave. Going away w ones husband is not for people who have young kids close in age. It's just the reality.

And just to reiterate. While I'm super happy w my family, I really feel blessed, I wish I could have a little break.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:14 pm
If all your kids are out during the day, you can hire girls to come take over for two nights. In the summer, some older teens are more flexible and they may be interested in making some extra cash. With a larger family you might want to get two girls, and they might enjoy doing the job together.

I find kids usually do better staying at home and keeping with their routines. You will have to do a bunch of organization beforehand, but I found it worth it.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This! Many people will leave their kids with family/friends. While I do bh have great family and friends, leaving my kids is not something I feel right doing. I also have, in the last 14 years had kids too young to leave. Going away w ones husband is not for people who have young kids close in age. It's just the reality.

And just to reiterate. While I'm super happy w my family, I really feel blessed, I wish I could have a little break.

I have more than a handful of kids under 13 B"H.

We recently did a weekend getaway. from Thursday night to Sunday eve. We really rejuvenated.

how we did it. made bus changes Thursday for all kids to family all to a different relative.
packing wasn't the easiest but not really hard. I made a pile for each of my kids, and put weekday clothes for all... then pjs for all.... shabbos wear.... etc. so as not to forget anything. Put every pile in a labeled bag, and off it went to each home.

my kids love to be with their cousins especially for a few days.

the youngest still an infant we took along.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Could you send the older ones to family and hire a babysitter or 2 to stay the night for the younger ones? Or viceversa? You need to prioritize yourself. You may feel guilty but your children will be fine for a night!

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:46 pm
I'm so feeling this now. I'm incredibly burnt out and I have no family to watch my kids. I tried finding a babysitter but that has never worked out.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:59 pm
Op, I'm with you all the way. Dh always jokes that the first week my oldest will get married the couple is moving into our home for 3 days so we can get away. LOL

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I did that. It was amazing. 1 day I slept. 1 day I had a masseuse come to the house and give me a massage in my own environment. 1 day I had a professional organizer come to do my closet.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:04 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Op, I'm with you all the way. Dh always jokes that the first week my oldest will get married the couple is moving into our home for 3 days so we can get away. LOL

Thanks for validating me. That's a good one. My oldest is a boy, should that be part of the "deal" if the girls wants to be my dil? Which, he's only 13, so not happening for a while anyways.

Part of the problem is that my big ones, who are usually my "helpers" are all away. So I'm left w a bunch under age 7.

ETA - the first week might be a bit cruel. Give the young couple 2 weeks to settle in first.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:54 pm
Definitely doable with good planning and minimal expectations!
We do it all the time, I find I need trees/ mountains in the summer for at least a few days to recharge
- we go somewhere minimally populated
- goal is one activity a day
- the activity starts after lunch, until then kids watch something age appropriate/ play games/ explore the ground around the airbnb
- activities are low pressure, places where it’s easy to watch all the kids and no big deal if they act up- like gentle hikes, playing in a shallow stream, picking berries, maybe mini golf
- each kid has a small suitcase with 4 outfits (we usually go for 3-4 days) and a few pjs.
If need be I put up a wash midway.
- we rent an airbnb with a kitchen- double wrap in oven.
- food:
Instant soups
Instant oatmeal
Granola bars
Tuna
Peanut butter
Cream cheese
Bread/ wraps
Mac and cheese already made
Crock pot dinner (use a liner!) at least one night
George foreman hotdogs/ burgers another night
- first day, no activity goal lol- travel and stop if we see something fun!
- each kids gets bag of snacks (healthy and not) and a water bottle for the car. They get very good at rationing it so it lasts the whole car ride, and get excited when I give it out.
- buy treats at rest stops- so it’s an activity
- ideally airbnb with a porch so I have my coffee while the kids watch a show.
Good luck!!
Totally doable, just keep in mind that bedtime doesn’t really work, so you’ll all be going to sleep at the same time Smile
That’s where late lazy mornings come in handy.
These vacations recharge me, I hope it works out for you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Definitely doable with good planning and minimal expectations!
We do it all the time, I find I need trees/ mountains in the summer for at least a few days to recharge
- we go somewhere minimally populated
- goal is one activity a day
- the activity starts after lunch, until then kids watch something age appropriate/ play games/ explore the ground around the airbnb
- activities are low pressure, places where it’s easy to watch all the kids and no big deal if they act up- like gentle hikes, playing in a shallow stream, picking berries, maybe mini golf
- each kid has a small suitcase with 4 outfits (we usually go for 3-4 days) and a few pjs.
If need be I put up a wash midway.
- we rent an airbnb with a kitchen- double wrap in oven.
- food:
Instant soups
Instant oatmeal
Granola bars
Tuna
Peanut butter
Cream cheese
Bread/ wraps
Mac and cheese already made
Crock pot dinner (use a liner!) at least one night
George foreman hotdogs/ burgers another night
- first day, no activity goal lol- travel and stop if we see something fun!
- each kids gets bag of snacks (healthy and not) and a water bottle for the car. They get very good at rationing it so it lasts the whole car ride, and get excited when I give it out.
- buy treats at rest stops- so it’s an activity
- ideally airbnb with a porch so I have my coffee while the kids watch a show.
Good luck!!
Totally doable, just keep in mind that bedtime doesn’t really work, so you’ll all be going to sleep at the same time Smile
That’s where late lazy mornings come in handy.
These vacations recharge me, I hope it works out for you!

this sounds so awesome, im almost drooling. if I give you my location, specific needs and a cc, would you plan a trip for us?

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
this sounds so awesome, im almost drooling. if I give you my location, specific needs and a cc, would you plan a trip for us?

I wish Smile

Step one is to book an Airbnb
(Strongly recommend paying the extra cleaning fee so you don’t have to think about cleaning when you leave)

2- Once you do that, get the groceries, including snacks for the road (and I forgot mention paper goods)- just an hour or two of shopping

3- pack (I pack as I fold multiple loads of laundry. Super quick that way, and we don’t vacation over shabbos so only weekday clothing and an extra sweatshirt)
Also I like to book a place with a washer dryer just in case I forget to pack shirts or something.

4- load up the car - stroller, pack n play, sweatshirts, food, paper goods, individual suitcases.
Double check the suitcases are all there! Bring a knapsack as well for the hikes.
Major, I know. But most things you can buy at a Walmart near where you stay, so no stress if you forget something)

5- leave!
(if a kid didn’t eat that morning, no worries, he’ll have his bag of assorted snacks)

(We never leave too early, adds too much stress. And like I said, we don’t plan any activities for day one…. Arriving at the Airbnb and screen time is exciting enough)

You can do this. Really. Just don’t have any expectations other than a few minutes of calm coffee time at some point (when there’s no actual screaming) during the day.
And I can’t reiterate enough not to expect a normal bedtime.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:16 pm
I forgot to add that I plan the activity for the next day the night before.
Google is my best friend. I do look a drop ahead before we go just to have a general idea, but don’t actually plan the activity until we get there.
Planning that much would be too challenging on top of regular life.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics