Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
I’m new here… do stores really run out of clothing months
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 4:55 pm
Fab4 wrote:
I was thinking of matching just for shabbos and Yom Tov. But each child doesn't need MORE dresses if they're different from her sisters
Scratching Head

More styles, more time spent shopping, not more per each kid

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 4:56 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
It needs to be said: you can enjoy both gashmius and ruchnius but you cannot enjoy both of them at the very same time and moment.
Basic BY values. That's all.

I’m waiting for someone to call her out on this one. Basic BY values? Since when? That’s certainly not MY yiddishkeit.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 4:56 pm
Fab4 wrote:
I was thinking of matching just for shabbos and Yom Tov. But each child doesn't need MORE dresses if they're different from her sisters
Scratching Head

Mom needs to find more dresses if the kids don't match. I have 3 kids the same gender within similar sizing. Easier to buy 3 of the same thing at the price point I like than to find different things for each child. No they don't have to wear it the same time. But its less shopping for me.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 4:57 pm
Fwiw my boys do have matching t-shirts - I davka don't like matching tees but I have no patience to spend any longer than I have to shopping, so depending what they pull (yank) out their closet some days some of them match.

2 of them are very heavy on their clothes - if it lasts a season it's a success Very Happy

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:04 pm
Fab4 wrote:
OK I get it lol. You'd need to find more different types of dresses, but the girl doesn't need more dresses if they're not matching
LOL. Older girls can shop for themselves anyway so there's that headache gone. Plus they might not want to match their younger sister once they get older....

I’m talking about the people who have 4 girls ages 3,5,7, 9. They are fine to match, and not fine to shop themselves. And the dresses that look cute on the 3 yo look cute on the 9 yo too. So find 5 different dresses, get in 4 sizes, and you’re done shopping! But if it’s sending a strong chinuch message and you can’t do that because it’s the ultimate in gashmius, then you need to find 5 diff dresses for each of your 4 girld

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:04 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Mom needs to find more dresses if the kids don't match. I have 3 kids the same gender within similar sizing. Easier to buy 3 of the same thing at the price point I like than to find different things for each child. No they don't have to wear it the same time. But its less shopping for me.

Sure, unless you have to actually run from store to store to find matching in the right sizes.

4g01o

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
I’m talking about the people who have 4 girls ages 3,5,7, 9. They are fine to match, and not fine to shop themselves. And the dresses that look cute on the 3 yo look cute on the 9 yo too. So find 5 different dresses, get in 4 sizes, and you’re done shopping! But if it’s sending a strong chinuch message and you can’t do that because it’s the ultimate in gashmius, then you need to find 5 diff dresses for each of your 4 girld

Gotcha LOL

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Well the cheap brands tend not to last more than a season in my experience so we don't really have anything to pass down.

I'm guessing if you can match 4 girls then we're talking about shopping at a Jewish store?

At the price point of a Jewish store I would hope the quality would mean it lasts!!

Sorry don't mean to pick on your posts particularly but there seems in general to be a bit of disenginuity (ingore my terrible spelling!) about the pressure to match and have in season clothing that for some people giving in to when they can ill afford (not talking about you in particular!!) doesn't accord with Jewish values (well my understanding of them). By all means if it gives you pleasure go ahead, what gives me pleasure won't necessarily give you, but I see people who can ill afford it pressured into it...

keym

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:11 pm
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
I'm guessing if you can match 4 girls then we're talking about shopping at a Jewish store?

At the price point of a Jewish store I would hope the quality would mean it lasts!!

Sorry don't mean to pick on your posts particularly but there seems in general to be a bit of disenginuity (ingore my terrible spelling!) about the pressure to match and have in season clothing that for some people giving in to when they can ill afford (not talking about you in particular!!) doesn't accord with Jewish values (well my understanding of them). By all means if it gives you pleasure go ahead, what gives me pleasure won't necessarily give you, but I see people who can ill afford it pressured into it...

I do Tottini for my boys. 15-20 a shirt, $20-30 dresses. They really get destroyed by the end of the season.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:12 pm

IME the clothing lasts just fine. My older dd can wear a kidichic t shirt that I buy for $8 for at least 1-2 seasons and it still looks great when my next dd grows into it. A very small percentage is stained or otherwise doesn't hold up well. Of course many people would be mortified to have their dd wear something that everyone knows was sold in 2019 so they don't actually pass it down.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:12 pm

No I meant stores like tottini, kidichic, sage... I specifically said I shop in the cheaper jewish stores

Yael

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:49 pm
locked for a cooling off period.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 10:21 am
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
IME the clothing lasts just fine. My older dd can wear a kidichic t shirt that I buy for $8 for at least 1-2 seasons and it still looks great when my next dd grows into it. A very small percentage is stained or otherwise doesn't hold up well. Of course many people would be mortified to have their dd wear something that everyone knows was sold in 2019 so they don't actually pass it down.
Some stuff lasts and I pass it down. But I need a lot of clothes for my kids because it takes me time to do laundry. I buy a little at the beginning of the season and then more when they go on sale and again when they go on clearance. Even on clearance I can often find some matching. Btw I find that the clothes often shrink and so I get less wear than I otherwise would.

DustyDiamonds

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 12:47 pm
I am unable to comprehend the posts that state that you cannot have Gashmiyus and Ruchaniyus simultaneously!

That sounds similar to Christianity.

In Judaism, physicality is a vehicle to be used for spirituality.

We are supposed to have wonderful food, and beautiful dishes and clothing for Shabbos! One reason that intimacy is recommended on Friday night, is because it’s a day dedicated to physical pleasure, through which we connect to Hashem.

If silver dishes give you more pleasure than gold dishes, by all means, that’s a Ruchniyus decision to buy silver plates for Shabbos!

If matching your children gives you more pleasure than not matching them, that’s a beautiful way to enhance your Shabbos!

And, in general, the Gemara says that 3 things lead to Harchavas HaDa’as, which if translate as a feeling of contentment. Don’t we all want that, versus a feeling of anxiety? The 3 things are: a beautiful wife, beautiful vessels, beautiful home.

I’d assume that vessels encompasses dishes and furniture and clothing.

If matching clothing is something you like, what brand of Judaism says that it’s a negative value???????????

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:09 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I am unable to comprehend the posts that state that you cannot have Gashmiyus and Ruchaniyus simultaneously!

We are supposed to have wonderful food, and beautiful dishes and clothing for Shabbos! One reason that intimacy is recommended on Friday night, is because it’s a day dedicated to physical pleasure, through which we connect to Hashem.

If silver dishes give you more pleasure than gold dishes, by all means, that’s a Ruchniyus decision to buy silver plates for Shabbos!

If matching your children gives you more pleasure than not matching them, that’s a beautiful way to enhance your Shabbos!

And, in general, the Gemara says that 3 things lead to Harchavas HaDa’as, which if translate as a feeling of contentment. Don’t we all want that, versus a feeling of anxiety? The 3 things are: a beautiful wife, beautiful vessels, beautiful home.

If matching clothing is something you like, what brand of Judaism says that it’s a negative value???????????

Amazing points. Thanks for this

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:31 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:

THANK YOU!
I couldn't find the words to express this thought well, thank you for expressing it so eloquently.
Great Post!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:01 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I am sorry to see that you haven't read my posts at all. I am not saying that matching is all about gashmius. I am saying that there is a core value in judaism regarding gashmius vs ruchnius and that a jew should preferably know the difference between them and recognize them as they are and not to confuse them. Of course you can and should enjoy gashmius. It needs to be said: you can enjoy both gashmius and ruchnius but you cannot enjoy both of them at the very same time and moment.
Basic BY values. That's all.

Some rabbis wives have the nicest sheitels clothing and jewelry I've ever seen.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:08 pm
This thread is being locked at OP's request. She got her answer about Lakewood shopping trends. Anyone who wants to continue the other discussions that came up is welcome to start a spin-off.

- Mod
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries