Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Polio in NYC wastewater
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:59 pm
octopus wrote:
Don't downplay the devastating effects of polio. Or how it effects the limbs long term even if someone is able to recover. I am worried. my baby has some polio vaccines and didn't finish the series yet .

Again, less than one percent of polio cases result in any kind of paralysis. 99 percent of polio cases wouldn't affect the person's limbs, long term or otherwise.

Yes, I vaccinate. Obviously.

But I'm kind of tired of scare tactics. The COVID hysteria did a number on me.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:59 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Innocent children shouldn’t be put in harms way because everyone else decided their parents should be able to make choices.

So you want the government to make all the health decisions for your children? Great idea...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:16 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Again, less than one percent of polio cases result in any kind of paralysis. 99 percent of polio cases wouldn't affect the person's limbs, long term or otherwise.

Polio found in the water is not scare tactics. If it doesn't scare the h*ll out of you, I'm concerned.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:29 pm

I'm rolling my eyes about covid too but polio still scares me

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:32 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Polio found in the water is not scare tactics. If it doesn't scare the h*ll out of you, I'm concerned.

Wait, so the polio vaccine isn't protecting you? What exactly am I supposed to be afraid of? I don't follow.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:34 pm
My baby isn’t vaccinated yet. Will one shot give her immunity?
I’m getting nervous.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:37 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
My baby isn’t vaccinated yet. Will one shot give her immunity?
I’m getting nervous.

Not complete immunity, but way better than nothing. I think the series is 3-4 shots in total

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:47 pm
Wait, so the polio vaccine isn't protecting you? What exactly am I supposed to be afraid of? I don't follow.

There are babies who aren’t fully vaccinated. There are immune compromised people who might no longer have antibodies. I got all my shots 57 years ago, I certainly hope they’re all still working but there are no guarantees. Surely, the smallpox vax I got that long ago is no longer active.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 3:48 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
There are babies who aren’t fully vaccinated. There are immune compromised people who might no longer have antibodies. I got all my shots 57 years ago, I certainly hope they’re all still working but there are no guarantees. Surely, the smallpox vax I got that long ago is no longer active.

You can get a booster. Speak to your doc.

No reason to panic.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:06 pm
You can get a booster. Speak to your doc.

No reason to panic.

You’re not understanding. We, as a society, have relied on herd immunity because of vaxxing. When vaxxing stops happening, it all falls apart. What, I should get all my childhood vaccines redone because a bunch of anti-science lunatics aren’t getting vaccinated? Why is the onus on me?

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:13 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

If you had your full series as a child the immunity is lifetime. If you are nervous you can have your doctor check it out but currently a "booster" isn't recommended for fully vaxxed people absent very unusual conditions - I.e. working with the virus in a lab

You don't have to worry about smallpox even if your immunity has waned. Smallpox is the only disease that has been completely eradicated in the world. I think they preserved some of the virus but it is kept under ultra high security - there have been some thrillers based on people attempting to get the virus as a bioweapon

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:15 pm
Amarante wrote:
If you had your full series as a child the immunity is lifetime. If you are nervous you can have your doctor check it out but currently a "booster" isn't recommended for fully vaxxed people absent very unusual conditions - I.e. working with the virus in a lab

You don't have to worry about smallpox even if your immunity has waned. Smallpox is the only disease that has been completely eradicated in the world. I think they preserved some of the virus but it is kept under ultra high security - there have been some thrillers based on people attempting to get the virus as a bioweapon

But that smallpox vaccine, which SHOULD give me immunity to Monkeypox, turns out it won’t. And I think smallpox could be weaponized and there isn’t enough vaccine to go around.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:20 pm
Anyone else finding it interesting that they tested the wastewater in Orange and Rockland counties and in NYC, but not in nearby Westchester, and in NYC but not Nassau?

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:39 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Anyone else finding it interesting that they tested the wastewater in Orange and Rockland counties and in NYC, but not in nearby Westchester, and in NYC but not Nassau?

That isn't what the news is. They test all the time but they don't necessarily report the results if there is nothing to report.

Testing waste water for viruses, bacteria is standard for municipal water systems.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:41 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
But that smallpox vaccine, which SHOULD give me immunity to Monkeypox, turns out it won’t. And I think smallpox could be weaponized and there isn’t enough vaccine to go around.

I am pretty sanguine about smallpox and monkeypox as I think I am more likely to die in an elevator crash in my building than of smallpox. I have to limit what I worry about or I would go insane. LOL

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 4:45 pm
After all the covid nonsense that went on I will wait to freak out about this.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 6:04 pm
Amarante wrote:
That isn't what the news is. They test all the time but they don't necessarily report the results if there is nothing to report.

Testing waste water for viruses, bacteria is standard for municipal water systems.
They haven’t been testing the water for polio for years.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 6:05 pm
Being that this is vaccine strain going around, the risk of paralysis is likely even lower than for wild type. We also don’t know how it transmits.

Also, the absolute IRONY of vaccines being the cause of this outbreak, yet nobody bats an eyelash.

I’m also fairly certain I’ve read that people vaccinated with ipv can still harbor poliovirus in their guts and shed it in stool. So all that polio they’re finding in wastewater can easily be from ipv vaccinated individuals. As well as people who recently got opv (Israel? Immigrants) and came to NYS.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 6:15 pm
I am worried because I have an infant. Who cannot get the full vaccination series yet. Who is therefore at risk for catching it. And I worry for the person who had a bone marrow transplant and now needs to repeat all vaccinations. And may have survived cancer but now is subjected to the polio virus.

All because selfish people dont Care to be part of civilized society and protect the most vulnerable. Who by no choice of their own cannot be vaccinated or lost immunity...

Stop being selfish and care about others!!
Banging head

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 6:26 pm
amother [ Bone ] wrote:
I am worried because I have an infant. Who cannot get the full vaccination series yet. Who is therefore at risk for catching it. And I worry for the person who had a bone marrow transplant and now needs to repeat all vaccinations. And may have survived cancer but now is subjected to the polio virus.

All because selfish people dont Care to be part of civilized society and protect the most vulnerable. Who by no choice of their own cannot be vaccinated or lost immunity...

Stop being selfish and care about others!!
Banging head

This is the song that was sung about the covid vaccine and is now being proven false as the vaccinated spread covid too. People have the right to make their own healthcare choice whether you like it or not. I'm not an anti vaxxer at all but this rhetoric doesn't really have a place in democracy. All those people who lost their jobs because they wouldn't take the covid vax and now the cdc says to treat vaccinated and unvaccinated the same....you think they are getting their jobs back? Wasn't there a version of the polio vaccine that caused polio to spread? Stop placing all your beliefs in the vaccine companies that have been proven to be liars time and time again.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics