Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/O Polio in NYC wastewater

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 11:21 pm
Please excuse my ignorance.

1) what is waste water? Is it tap water or sewage?
2) I have a newborn who can’t get the polio vaccine until 2 months. She’s 2 weeks old now.
I boil tap water and cool it down before mixing it with her formula. Is she at risk from drinking NYC tap water in her formula? I also bathe her in NYC tap water.
3) at what adult age do u I need vaccine booster?

octopus

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 11:25 pm
Sewage

amother
Oleander

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 11:39 pm
Unless your newborn consumes fecal matter, you do not have to worry. As long as anyone who prepares baby's food washes their hands before doing so, your baby is safe.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 12:08 am
Sewage shows people who have polio and are excreting it. They check wastewater to get an idea of how much polio is going around.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 2:38 am
FYI, our tap water comes from sewage... google it

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 3:10 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
FYI, our tap water comes from sewage... google it

All water is recycled by Hashem. It's called the water cycle.

The process of sewage being treated and purified and returned to the water system kills pathogens and viruses.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:50 am
New York City doesn't use sewage directly as drinking water. For the most part it gets drinking water and water used in homes for upstate sources.

Drinking water is of course tested and treated to kill pathogens.

Waste water is treated and then released into other bodies of water. Eventually it becomes part of the entire ecological water system. That is why not polluting any water with toxic elements is so bad for the environment - I.e. manufacturing facilities that release stuff into rivers which are sources of drinking water for people or release into ground water which then makes its way into underground water sources which are used for drinking water. This is how you get pockets of people with cancer caused by the water.

FWIW you can get polio even if one has good personal hygiene. It is impossible to be that careful because one can touch a handrail or elevator button or door handle which a person has touched and contaminated and therefore one will have the virus on one's hand and can potentially spread the disease to oneself or to children who you are taking care of. That is why vaccination is recommended for infants as soon as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics