Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Help me cover my hair
Previous  1  2

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:20 pm
I got cotton (or maybe blend) caps on ebay in different colors, though you can just get a basic white & black. Well they used to be about $2 : (

I use an oblong scarf. Have one side about shoulder length on my right. Tuck the scarf under the cap in front. Other side goes around the back & over the top. Right side goes behind my head. You can check out Wrapunzel for simple wrap ideas, but they just put the scarf over the "shaper". I feel like the tucking is much more reliable.

I tie on the left. Sometimes if feeling fancy I tuck the long end under the part that goes over the top for a drop of height. Sometimes I add an elastic headband or another light scarf to add another color.

I find the tucking under the cap keeps it stable. Silky scarves will slip. I mostly get cotton or cotton blends or light pashminas. I got several from Wrapunzel & several from a young woman in Queens with a business called Royal Hair Coverings but I think she closed down. I found many in Kohls, TJ Maxx, Lands End etc.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank yoU! I tried the pretied bandana years ago and didn't like how I looked in it. So I want to try the tichel things. I wear a regular tichel that has elastic in it but not replacable as u don't see it I tried to have one fixed by dressmaker and didn't sit properly. They also switched from elastic to this adjustable thing so it moves more and doesn't sit right on me. So I was thinking to try the tichel thing.

By them at Double Header and go in to them to replace the elastic as needed. Because they only do this, they are very good at it and it will sit properly.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
I got cotton (or maybe blend) caps on ebay in different colors, though you can just get a basic white & black. Well they used to be about $2 : (

I use an oblong scarf. Have one side about shoulder length on my right. Tuck the scarf under the cap in front. Other side goes around the back & over the top. Right side goes behind my head. You can check out Wrapunzel for simple wrap ideas, but they just put the scarf over the "shaper". I feel like the tucking is much more reliable.

I tie on the left. Sometimes if feeling fancy I tuck the long end under the part that goes over the top for a drop of height. Sometimes I add an elastic headband or another light scarf to add another color.

I find the tucking under the cap keeps it stable. Silky scarves will slip. I mostly get cotton or cotton blends or light pashminas. I got several from Wrapunzel & several from a young woman in Queens with a business called Royal Hair Coverings but I think she closed down. I found many in Kohls, TJ Maxx, Lands End etc.

Can you make a video of what you do and link it here? I wish I could envision what you're describing.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:54 pm
I wear the ones with the wig grip sewn in and they always slip back. It's really annoying.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 3:20 pm
You want the right things to go underneath. A velvet headband is extremely helpful for preventing slipping and stray hairs, and a shaper can make the result look nicer and more formal. Wrapunzel videos are definitely helpful, and practice. I've worn mostly tichels for 8 years, and I still can't get them to stay on acceptably without the velvet headband.

Frumfemme

Post Sun, Aug 21 2022, 3:42 pm
There are a whole host of things on wrapunzel.com where she shows how to tie various scarves. If you want to try covering with sheitels I suggest starting out with Paulayoung.com - a real hair sheitel is an expensive investment if you find you don't like to cover that way. See what works for you, what you like and what looks good.

Shmoozinator

Post Sun, Aug 21 2022, 7:36 pm
I also only wear tichels! In addition to Wrapunzel, check out The Little Tichel Lady and Keter HaYofi Mitpachot. Both great resources! They do a lot on facebook, but may have stuff on youtube, and are both so responsive when you reach out personally Smile

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 12:20 pm
For Taupe & anyone else, here's a pretty similar idea:

Agav does anyone know why I suddenly get an ad every time I try to open a YouTube video? I installed a new ad blocker because my old one didn't seem to be working well ... do they not block YouTube ads?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels