Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Looking to buy dumb phone

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:36 pm
Looking for a dumb phone that is not internet capable and isn’t hackable by determined teens.
Which phone and where to buy?
Just for calling and texting.

LK1

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:49 pm
I don't think there is such a device.

You could buy a phone from Meshumar (or whatever it's called) that has disabled internet. It's impossible to unblock since they cut the wires internally.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:51 pm
https://mraberthon.com/product.....ones/
Prices have more than doubled...

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:01 pm
The Sunbeam Orchid. Highly recommend. No browsing capability whatsoever, approved by TAG as is, no filtering needed. It even has voice texting and a qwerty touchscreen. (and weather, and maps, but I haven't figured out how to use the maps yet..)

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:10 pm
Odelyah wrote:
The Sunbeam Orchid. Highly recommend. No browsing capability whatsoever, approved by TAG as is, no filtering needed. It even has voice texting and a qwerty touchscreen. (and weather, and maps, but I haven't figured out how to use the maps yet..)

Anyone with this phone needed another filter from their school?

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:27 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Anyone with this phone needed another filter from their school?

It comes approved by TAG as is. If you bring it to TAG they will tell you it's already Tagged. I'm not even sure if you could add a filter if you wanted to, there is no browser or app store. Any school who would say this would be misinformed and you could get a letter or something from TAG if they don't believe you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:54 pm
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions!

I just have 1 question before I move forward, is it possible to buy a cheap dumbphone that isn’t a kosher phone but doesn’t have wifi possible. Then if I put it on a plan of only call and text with no data, then with no data and no possible wifi, there won’t be a way to make the built in browser work.
Does that make sense or am I just naive?

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:02 pm
Odelyah wrote:

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:02 pm
Nokia 6300 and get it tagged. Not the best phone but it's a dumb phone. Kosher direct sells phones

lovetohelp

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:31 pm
The Consumer Cellular, Link II, 8 GB, Black - Flip phone does not have a browser.

It can only be used for talk and text.

Been using it for years.

Not that is the best quality. But which of them are.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions!

I just have 1 question before I move forward, is it possible to buy a cheap dumbphone that isn’t a kosher phone but doesn’t have wifi possible. Then if I put it on a plan of only call and text with no data, then with no data and no possible wifi, there won’t be a way to make the built in browser work.
Does that make sense or am I just naive?

I doubt a school would approve it, but in theory it should be possible.

However, please be aware that on some plans, "no data" means just no high speed data. So you should probably test it out first.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:35 pm
lovetohelp wrote:
The Consumer Cellular, Link II, 8 GB, Black - Flip phone does not have a browser.

It can only be used for talk and text.

Been using it for years.

Not that is the best quality. But which of them are.

Is it 4g volte? If not it will not work much longer..(and can probably only be used with a consumer cellular plan?)

lovetohelp

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:26 am
The Consumer Cellular, Link II, 8 GB, Black - Flip phone is 4G phone.

It is approved by Tag.

Available from Walmart and Target.

Lydia

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:02 am
We just got a Sunbeam Dandilion phone for our son. It's like the Orchid, but even dumber: only talk, no text, no weather or maps. They have another option in between, with talk and text only, no weather and maps.

After a few years of suffering from the AWFUL quality of my AT&T flip phone, I was pleased with the quality of the Sunbeam phone. The sound quality is crisp and loud, the phone doesn't feel cheaply made in your hands, it processes input smoothly so you don't mis-dial because the computer is delayed, I don't have to fold it half-way in order for people to hear me....It seems like a general improvement in quality in a field of products that has only been deteriorating in the last years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics