Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
I think my 3 year old has ADHD…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 6:08 pm
I suspect my son has ADHD. Those with experience, how (should?) I confirm? Any early interventions I should try? I just want him to be happy and thrive and not feel like an outcast. Looking for advice and chizuk Heart

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 6:11 pm
First investigate if it might just be high sensory needs. Look into a sensory diet / OT and see if that helps at all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 6:23 pm

He definitely seems to be sensitive to stimuli, and certain sensory sensations (everything is “too hot! Too loud!) however it’s his impulsivity and lack of personal boundaries with other people that makes me think it’s adhd. I signed him up for OT as I think he will benefit regardless. I just want to explore all options and rule out other possible root causes. He’s my first child so until recently I played off his energy as cute, and toddler stage, and typical boy behavior. He’s now 3 1/2 and I seems that it’s edging into the abnormal behavior category

twogees

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:08 pm
I took my son to a pediatric neuropsychologist to get tested. Tests came back with ADHD combined diagnosis. I do know that most testing will not be done untill a child is older (closer to 6 years old)

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:47 pm
He’s very young still. They don’t diagnosed adhd until 7. You can deal with the sensory issues separately.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:08 pm
I have an almost 4 year old that was diagnosed with ADHD by a child neurologist when he was 3. It may not be common, but I know of a few very qualified doctors in the field who diagnose at this age and would also start, if needed, with certain medications at that age. Not saying this is what OPs child has or needs, but yes there are times when it can be needed even at such a young age.

Getting him evaluated for Early Intervention will not help with a diagnosis per se but may make it easier to get him helpful services like OT, SEIT support etc... which it sounds like he would benefit from whether he ends up having ADHD or not.

Hatzlocha

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:04 pm
You can get the kid tested to know for sure but also look into therapies to help with impulsivity like a licensed mental health therapist who does play therapy and social skill training. And OT for sensory needs. Try to figure out symptoms and how to help your kid with them.
Medication usually waits a little- age 5 or so from my experience.

Being sensory can go hand in hand with ADHD. A lot of ADHD kids are sensitive to sound- like one person I know with ADHD cant have tags in their clothes because that extra stimuli distracts them and bothers them immensely that it overwhelms them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers