Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Wat type of ppl live in s fallsburg yr round

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:09 pm
The yeshivish community. Are there any men that work professionally there? Do u have to be affiliated with the yeshiva to live there and get ur kids into school?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 7:36 pm
I have a sibling there. I don’t know exactly but I’ve been there a couple of times.

There’s around 150 families. Many are associated with the Yeshiva. Many not. One guy installs and checks Eruvs all over the mountains. Some people travel to Monsey to work.

Everyone is super yeshivish. You’re not supposed to have Internet at all although my sibling does for business. Never saw a lace wig there. Most everyone has very big.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 9:00 pm
I'd also love to hear more since the location is something that I've recently been considering...following

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 11:35 pm
The yeshiva does not accept just anyone. If you just happen to move into the area and are not connected to the yeshiva, your kids will not be accepted into the schools. Thats why the community there remains so small.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 11:41 pm
I know a couple of families that live there. They're really simple people that lead true torah lives. Real yeshivish community.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:13 pm
Any more information?
What schools they have? Where are the not affiliated kids go to school?

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:37 pm
It’s extremely yeshivish. Some go to Monsey for school. It’s very much shtetl vibes. I was friends with a girl who lived on Yeshiva lane. Special people live there. Not anything I was used to or ever seen before. Growing up in Brooklyn….

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
It’s extremely yeshivish. Some go to Monsey for school. It’s very much shtetl vibes. I was friends with a girl who lived on Yeshiva lane. Special people live there. Not anything I was used to or ever seen before. Growing up in Brooklyn….
It strikes me as similar to yeshiva lane in most communities I’ve visited. Cleveland, Baltimore, even Lakewood has yeshiva plaza. Very yeshivish and very simple. And I’ve heard they’re makpid about not accepting those unaffiliated with the community into schools. But I also heard their school can always use more teachers so if you fit their community and are willing to teach they will likely accept you.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:07 pm
S fallsburg if you're on imamother then you don't belong there. All have dumb phones, no smartphones allowed.
Kiamesha is Viznitz
There is Monticello which is satmar type
The other only option for schools is Hebrew day school which is a day school. You can have kids from mixed marriages, MO, working father's.

healthminded

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:38 am
amother Pewter wrote:
There is Monticello which is satmar type

FYI Monticello is not Satmar type, it's average chasidish people of all walks of chasidish
Bloomingburg is satmar

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 7:26 am
It’s simple. Not out of town type. Simple. It’s a poor community. It’s super right wing yeshivish and the people are sweet aidel ovdei hashem.

I don’t believe anyone from that community is on these boards

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 9:15 am
Yeshiva South Fallsburg refused to take in my kids. They did not even ask us questions about us. We said we were looking to move there and they said no.

There is Hebrew Day School. I spoke to a teacher there and she told me about half the kid are Shomrei Shabbos, which is a lot more than they used to have. They had one class for 2, 3, and 4 grade boys and girls together, and then one class for 5, 6, and 7 grade, but that was separate for boys and girls. That was 2 years ago- maybe it changed by now.

Then there are various Chassidish schools.

What is lacking is a school for a typical Litvishe family that has no connection with the Yeshiva.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 9:56 am
amother Mint wrote:
Yeshiva South Fallsburg refused to take in my kids. They did not even ask us questions about us. We said we were looking to move there and they said no.

There is Hebrew Day School. I spoke to a teacher there and she told me about half the kid are Shomrei Shabbos, which is a lot more than they used to have. They had one class for 2, 3, and 4 grade boys and girls together, and then one class for 5, 6, and 7 grade, but that was separate for boys and girls. That was 2 years ago- maybe it changed by now.

Then there are various Chassidish schools.

What is lacking is a school for a typical Litvishe family that has no connection with the Yeshiva.

The reason for all this, is that in order for the community to retain the integrity of what they are they are away from everyone else.

I have family who lives there and I can imagine it would be very difficult for them if a right wing community moves in.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 10:42 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
The reason for all this, is that in order for the community to retain the integrity of what they are they are away from everyone else.

I have family who lives there and I can imagine it would be very difficult for them if a right wing community moves in.

This. I have family there also. The community sacrificed for years to live an insular, isolated life. They never had it easy, between the lack of shopping, the bad weather in the winter, the congestion in the sunmer, for years the only housing was really lousy. They don't owe anything to anyone who wants to move there to take advantage of what they built up, but not commit to their way of life.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 10:58 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
This. I have family there also. The community sacrificed for years to live an insular, isolated life. They never had it easy, between the lack of shopping, the bad weather in the winter, the congestion in the sunmer, for years the only housing was really lousy. They don't owe anything to anyone who wants to move there to take advantage of what they built up, but not commit to their way of life.

Sounds like old Lakewood to me.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:00 am
Chayalle wrote:
Sounds like old Lakewood to me.

To me it's a little different than old Lakewood. Because BMGs expansion is what originally drove the growth of Lakewood. Fallsburg is very selective about who they accept and they don't want to grow like BMG.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:03 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
To me it's a little different than old Lakewood. Because BMGs expansion is what originally drove the growth of Lakewood. Fallsburg is very selective about who they accept and they don't want to grow like BMG.

I'm always hearing from old Lakewood people who are upset at the direction that expansion took Lakewood. I guess that was the similarity I was talking about. I guess those people weren't involved in BMG's decisions.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:23 am
Chayalle wrote:
I'm always hearing from old Lakewood people who are upset at the direction that expansion took Lakewood. I guess that was the similarity I was talking about. I guess those people weren't involved in BMG's decisions.

That is similar. But I feel like both communities were started by the yeshiva. The difference is that BMG chose to grow and eventually they lost control. South Fallsburg purposely chose not to grow.

(Yes, I am aware that there was a frum community here before BMG, but chances are it would have faded away like most of the frum communities that were scattered throughout NJ and all of the US)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating