Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Therapy costs
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Dec 05 2021, 9:46 pm
I’m also a therapist and also find it disturbing how much therapists charge. I didn’t become a therapist to get rich. Yes we are entitled to a decent wage, but I think there’s a limit and we’ve come to a point where the amount clients are paying is just insane. I recently found out about a site where you can enroll to get credentialed by insurances where you actually get paid $120-135 a session. I feel like I owe it to my frum clients to try this. 135$ is a decent amount to get paid. The company does all the work in terms of getting g approvals etc so there’s no extra work, and the chessed this is foe clients who now don’t have to struggle to pay is enormous. I am currently working on enrolling in this. I think more frum therapists should aim to allocate at least some hours to taking insurance clients.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Dec 08 2021, 9:25 am
I get online therapy through better help. I only pay $50/week. I really don't know how it works out for them financially. Maybe they get grants.

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:01 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I’m also a therapist and also find it disturbing how much therapists charge. I didn’t become a therapist to get rich. Yes we are entitled to a decent wage, but I think there’s a limit and we’ve come to a point where the amount clients are paying is just insane. I recently found out about a site where you can enroll to get credentialed by insurances where you actually get paid $120-135 a session. I feel like I owe it to my frum clients to try this. 135$ is a decent amount to get paid. The company does all the work in terms of getting g approvals etc so there’s no extra work, and the chessed this is foe clients who now don’t have to struggle to pay is enormous. I am currently working on enrolling in this. I think more frum therapists should aim to allocate at least some hours to taking insurance clients.

I heard a podcast from a therapist (can’t recall who, I listen to so many) where he explained why many therapists don’t take insurance once they’ve established themselves.

The insurance documentation is extremely cumbersome.

Oftentimes they have to kinda stretch the truth (in other words: lie) to get the insurance to cover the session. For example, if someone is dealing with normal life issues, they’ll write that the client has depressive or anxiety disorder, otherwise the sessions won’t be covered.

The insurance companies constantly change the rules. They demand lots of documentation which is time consuming to gather and submit. Their websites are often far from user friendly, which adds many hours to therapists’ workload.

And as someone who enjoys shopping but gets so frustrated when Nordstrom locks out my account since I tried to guess my password to login too many times, since I’m now shopping on my phone, and I last had to change my password on my laptop, listen to this:

One insurance company that he worked with required him to change his password to their site every thirty days!!!! What a headache!!!

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:39 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I heard a podcast from a therapist (can’t recall who, I listen to so many) where he explained why many therapists don’t take insurance once they’ve established themselves.

The insurance documentation is extremely cumbersome.

Oftentimes they have to kinda stretch the truth (in other words: lie) to get the insurance to cover the session. For example, if someone is dealing with normal life issues, they’ll write that the client has depressive or anxiety disorder, otherwise the sessions won’t be covered.

The insurance companies constantly change the rules. They demand lots of documentation which is time consuming to gather and submit. Their websites are often far from user friendly, which adds many hours to therapists’ workload.

And as someone who enjoys shopping but gets so frustrated when Nordstrom locks out my account since I tried to guess my password to login too many times, since I’m now shopping on my phone, and I last had to change my password on my laptop, listen to this:

One insurance company that he worked with required him to change his password to their site every thirty days!!!! What a headache!!!

Old thread but current valid topic...

I'm a therapist, and there are other reasons why therapists may prefer not to take insurance! Insurance is very very very difficult...

Payment amounts can be very low. I've seen therapy payments below $50 for a session. It costs money (there are fees) and time to submit a claim to an insurance company too, not counting other overhead such as liability insurance, taxes (in NYS that's about 1/3rd of independent contracted/self-earned income per an accountant friend), accounting, billing, office rent, etc. I know clinic working and insurance taking therapists who qualify for medicaid themselves because the payment is so low.

Insurance companies only cover therapy if there's a valid mental health diagnosis. So couples therapy typically isn't covered. Some insurance companies will audit therapists who use couples therapy service codes because of this, even if there is a valid diagnosis. They also may only cover extended treatment if the diagnosis is severe.

Insurance requires the therapist come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan within the first 1-2 sessions. All treatment notes must follow the treatment plan. If there are changes the plan has to be updated. And the insurance company asks for all the documentation and decides how many sessions they will cover.

Often the client and even the therapist believes that it's in the client's best interest for more therapy, but insurance will deny coverage.

Pre-authorization is a pain, takes hours, plus often a telephone call with multiple follow ups and long waits to talk to a rep or have a provider-to-provider conversation and appeals to fight for coverage of services.

Insurance may not pay for any number of reasons. Therapists often have no recourse and cannot collect on the services provided.

scruffy

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:41 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:

I've had to do that with some work websites. Easiest is to have your standard password, then just change month + year (eg aug22) on the end. Not such a big deal..
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics