Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How do ppl do it
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 7:43 pm
Thank you every for your responses. They all helped! What I found most helpful though were the ppl that suggested turning it into a choice. Bec it’s true, I can technically choose to go on vacation and put it on a cc. But I’m choosing not to. Mainly bec I wouldn’t have a way to pay the bill lol but it’s still a choice that I’m making and for some reason that does make me feel better about the situation. So thank you!

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:31 am
we go away- maybe not to exotic vacations- but to hotels, with air fare. with credit card points! we get southwest points for the airfare and we get hotel cards for free night stays. we find relatively cheap activities. we have also stayed in a time share for the presentation and then you can use all the amenities for the stay of 3-4 days. we used points to get there. We did pay for a car rental on that trip. and we ate out- once. the rest of the time we bought food at the local supermarket. If you are interested in points (only do it if you are responsible with credit cards, that you will pay off your credit card bill or your vacation will be costing you a lot more than free points!). you can also look into staying in an air bnb in a non exotic place as a getaway. you won't need several hotel rooms, you get a house to yourself. I do think everyone's posts about mindset were helpful, when it's a choice you're making you feel better about it, but if anyone did want to know how people do it, there are options that don't cost a ton of money.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 3:13 am
OP, as another poster said, we too can officially afford to go away, but are not doing so for various reasons. Some reasons are out of our control, like a close family member who is unwell. However, the main reason is bcz. the pricing of air fare and hotels is out of control. My kids know this very well. I am deliberately showing them that we don't HAVE to go away, just bcz. everyone else is. We are doing fun things as a family, without elaborate very very expensive trips.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 3:49 am
We were able to go away for 3 nights driving distance to a rented cabin by a lake. I spent hours finding somewhere cheap and the cost is less then having my 4 kids in daycamp for the week.
I had off work that week (although I work extra other weeks to make up for it), and DH saves vacation days specifically so we can have this vacation time each summer. He works every erev yom tov and all of chol hamoed to make sure we have those few days.
If you want to make it happen, make it happen. But everyone has different things in their lives that they choose to prioritize or not.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:51 pm
The people around me that are going on vacations, are on food stamps, Medicaid, section 8 & were raking it in during covid. They have money for expensive shoes & vacations.

You said it!!!Not to mention, that they are also living in beautiful brand new homes!!!!

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:08 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
The people around me that are going on vacations, are on food stamps, Medicaid, section 8 & were raking it in during covid. They have money for expensive shoes & vacations.

You said it!!!Not to mention, that they are also living in beautiful brand new homes!!!!

None of this ( although we can agree is wrong) will help op. She can chose to reframe & be at peace, or be jealous & miserable.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:11 pm
We go away but my kids don't go to camp second half so we use that money that we would have paid for camp. We stay in hotels with points. Bring along food and don't eat out. Do minimal expensive attractions. Just because someone is going away doesn't mean they are paying a lot.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics