Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry help! Bloodstain on shirt from a week ago

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:11 pm
Child had nosebleed. Usually I would treat it right away but I didn't know about it until now. I know it's been a week since she wore that shirt Can't Believe It So far stain stick didn't do a thing. One of her favorite, brand new shirts. Is there any hope?

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:24 pm
many imas suggest Windex. I don't use Windex and have never tried that. Windex is mainly ammonia so you can try that. Stain stick is mainly for grease stains, not blood.

I soak in COLD water, then pour hydrogen peroxide--the stuff sold as an antiseptic in a brown bottle--directly on the stain. Scrub, rinse in more cold water, repeat as necessary. It may take several tries. If it's a white shirt, you can "graduate" to chlorine bleach if the peroxide doesn't do the trick.

You can also try an enzyme presoak product.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:27 pm
It's not white. It is a beautiful color and brand new and I feel like I'm just going to ruin it worse but the stain is pretty bad so I may as well try. Think it would work a week later?

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:27 pm
Nurses in the hospital told me hydrogen peroxide does wonders. While I did try it on fresh stains I never did on more than a day or 2. When I tried it, it did indeed work wonders.

tweety1

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:28 pm
seeker wrote:
It's not white. It is a beautiful color and brand new and I feel like I'm just going to ruin it worse but the stain is pretty bad so I may as well try. Think it would work a week later?

I tried mine on colored nightgowns after birth.

beloved

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:57 am
Soak it in cold water at least overnight and then wash on cold. It might take a few tries, but it should come out.

We have a family bris outfit that all the grandchildren use, and MIL is the only one who's allowed to wash it. Sometimes it can take weeks until the outfit gets back to her, but she always manages to get the blood out this way.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:33 am
https://www.amazon.com/Carbona.....ss_tl

Sorry just saw it's unavailable on Amazon but I bought it in the past from Walmart.

missknowitall

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 3:28 am
Try the windex it really is magic and never ruined anything in my experience. You spray on the stain and gently rub it in until it fades away

seeker

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:43 am
Thanks. Going to get some hydrogen peroxide for starters. Isn't it brown? It doesn't make new brown stains? Or am I thinking of something else? Maybe I'm thinking of iodine?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:19 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks. Going to get some hydrogen peroxide for starters. Isn't it brown? It doesn't make new brown stains? Or am I thinking of something else? Maybe I'm thinking of iodine?

I find the windex works even better than HP. No worries about colored clothes. Spray, rub together. Repeat until out.

Hydrogen peroxide is clear (in a brown opaque bottle so sunlight doesn't degrade it).

(Betadine is another type of antiseptic that is brown, which you won't use here.)

little neshamala

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:20 pm
seeker wrote:
Child had nosebleed. Usually I would treat it right away but I didn't know about it until now. I know it's been a week since she wore that shirt Can't Believe It So far stain stick didn't do a thing. One of her favorite, brand new shirts. Is there any hope?

Zout. It works very well for blood, even an old stain

polka dots

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:42 pm
I put a layer of salt over it and then poured peroxide over it. Let it sit for awhile and then scrubbed under running water. It worked.
(wasn't a week old though) Good Luck

Lovable

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:48 pm
Windex works every time
even on week old stains

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:04 pm
Update: I used Windex and it was quite effective. I can still see where the stain was but only because I know it was there. I'm pretty sure you can't tell unless you're looking. The shirt is back in circulation though I'm not entirely sure it's still in practically new condition.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:21 pm
Treat it again. Don't wash it until the stain is out. Make it wet, spray, rub, spray, rub.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:19 pm
I did, I didn't see any change in the last couple of tries so I think I'm done. At this point I don't even know if my eyes are playing tricks on me because I know there was blood...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry