Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Im learning so much...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:57 am
from all these westgate threads lol!
I went for shabbos once when I was back from seminary so I remember how big it was. I dont think there is anything like this in the world it was pretty cool. My husband is from kiryat sefer and didnt want to live in that type of densely populated area so we ended up not looking into lakewood and ended up in a smaller OOT community

Im curious- is westgate more for families? Are there basement apartments for rent for newlyweds? How much is rent on average? Is it a mostly ashkenaz development? Any non jews?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:00 pm
There are many sizes and prices. All ages rent. There are non Jews now, it’s a new thing in the last few years.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:01 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
There are many sizes and prices. All ages rent. There are non Jews now, it’s a new thing in the last few years.

Whats considered average rent? 2000? thats how much we spent in far rockaway... we ended up moving

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
from all these westgate threads lol!
I went for shabbos once when I was back from seminary so I remember how big it was. I dont think there is anything like this in the world it was pretty cool. My husband is from kiryat sefer and didnt want to live in that type of densely populated area so we ended up not looking into lakewood and ended up in a smaller OOT community

Im curious- is westgate more for families? Are there basement apartments for rent for newlyweds? How much is rent on average? Is it a mostly ashkenaz development? Any non jews?

Westgate is mostly families of (yeshivish) Ashkenazi Jews. There is a Sephardic shul right out of Westgate for the few Sephardim who live there. And also a small Chasidish shul for the few Chasidim who do so.

Each townhouse block is five houses . It is mostly the end unit townhouses that have basement rentals for young couples. About fifty percent of Westgate is apartment houses with rentals only. There are an increasing number of non-Jews living in those rentals but they remain the minority by far.

I am currently renting out my basement to a Sephardic family for $1500 a month plus utilities . I was told I can get much more but they are good tenants so I'm not raising their rent.

There is currently a fight going on because the management of the apartment houses (all owned by the same people)drastically raised the rent about a month ago.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:04 pm
I don’t know current rates. Back when I rented a couple of years ago the roomy 3/4/5 bedrooms were in the 1,000-1,500 range. We had moved from a a tiny Brooklyn apartment they we were paying 2,000 for.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:29 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
I don’t know current rates. Back when I rented a couple of years ago the roomy 3/4/5 bedrooms were in the 1,000-1,500 range. We had moved from a a tiny Brooklyn apartment they we were paying 2,000 for.
They’ve raised so 3 bedrooms are close to 2k and 4-5 bedrooms well over 2k. They were low rent for a very long time but now that there are no apartments in Lakewood people are willing to pay high prices for WG. I don’t see the higher rates lasting though.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 12:31 pm
amother Steel wrote:
There is currently a fight going on because the management of the apartment houses (all owned by the same people)drastically raised the rent about a month ago.
It’s owned by the builder. Whenever peoples contracts are up for renewal the rents go up a ton … it’s been ongoing for over 6 months now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:36 pm
thanks
why would a young couple want to start off in westgate? is there a big sense of community there?
are all the men in westgate in kollel?

realtalk

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:18 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
They’ve raised so 3 bedrooms are close to 2k and 4-5 bedrooms well over 2k. They were low rent for a very long time but now that there are no apartments in Lakewood people are willing to pay high prices for WG. I don’t see the higher rates lasting though.

3 bedrooms are over 2k for new tenants now. I called a few weeks ago and they said starting at 2350. It’s insane right now

Fave

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:36 pm
Are the non Jews in WG renting from Jewish Landlords?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:55 pm
realtalk wrote:
3 bedrooms are over 2k for new tenants now. I called a few weeks ago and they said starting at 2350. It’s insane right now
What?! My #s were from 6 months ago! They have lost their minds. 2350 for a 3 bedroom? Less than 2 years ago I paid 1625 for a 4 bedroom. Absolutely insane.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks
why would a young couple want to start off in westgate? is there a big sense of community there?
are all the men in westgate in kollel?
They started off in westgate in the past because it was cheap. Now they start off there because they can’t find an apartment anywhere else.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 2:57 pm
Fave wrote:
Are the non Jews in WG renting from Jewish Landlords?
They’re renting from the builder who is Jewish. Builder can’t discriminate about who they rent to.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 3:05 pm
Westgate is about half privately owned homes and half rentals that are run by a real estate management company. They take jews and non-jews.

I moved into a four bedroom rental 1 year ago. Its what they call a townhouse, its a very nice size with playroom and dinette. Its bigger than my friends privately owned 4 bedroom duplex in westgate.

Rent was 1700 and after 1 year they bumped it up to 1850!

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 5:58 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
What?! My #s were from 6 months ago! They have lost their minds. 2350 for a 3 bedroom? Less than 2 years ago I paid 1625 for a 4 bedroom. Absolutely insane.

If they are asking for it it means they can probably get it.

Some of the prices I hear around Lakewood are insane.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries