Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to use a nebulizer for a first time clueless mom

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 5:56 pm
Anyone know how? Dr said to get a nebulizer for a croupe cough and I never even heard of it before

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 6:02 pm
Did your doctor tell you what to put in the nebulizer? Saline? Meds? You usually need a prescription and need to know the exact dosage.

The nebulizer is quite simple to use - it should have directions though. It's important for the mask to cover your childs mouth AND nose. You can easily find videos online.

Also if your child has croup cold air is one of the most effective ways to treat the cough. Open the freezer an have your child breathe the cold air. It should help immediately. Do this for a couple of minutes take a break and do it again.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:04 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Did your doctor tell you what to put in the nebulizer? Saline? Meds? You usually need a prescription and need to know the exact dosage.

The nebulizer is quite simple to use - it should have directions though. It's important for the mask to cover your childs mouth AND nose. You can easily find videos online.

Also if your child has croup cold air is one of the most effective ways to treat the cough. Open the freezer an have your child breathe the cold air. It should help immediately. Do this for a couple of minutes take a break and do it again.

Thanks, I got a prescription without instructions

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:25 pm
Just FYI, many kids don't like the mask. I usually just do blow-by - hold it pointing at their mouth and nose and they get a fair dose that way.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 11:33 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Just FYI, many kids don't like the mask. I usually just do blow-by - hold it pointing at their mouth and nose and they get a fair dose that way.

Yeah, I tried doing it today and it was a total horror. Baby was screaming and thrashing and it just wasn’t happening.
I wish there was another way to cure croup, this nebulizer is not so practical

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:28 am
Clean it between uses

Best to use a mask cuz if you're using steroids in there it isn't a grand idea that it should go into your kids eyes

Feel better

dena613

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:35 am
Have you tried going in a bathroom and closing windows, doors, and fans, and turning in hot water to create steam?
A steamy room is good for croup.
The last time my kid had croup, I think my dr prescribed prednisone. (Did that make sense?)

Good Friend

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:51 am
Yes, my baby hated the mask as well. My nebulizer came with a pacifier with a tube on top of it so they can suck the pacifier and the medicine goes to the baby's nose. I don't know if that's something you can get easily... I bought it in a local store not in America.

Ma3

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:11 am
My child was also petrified in the beginning. I used to hold it closest to face as possible, tape up the holes so most of it does get to the child and read them a story or have them play or watch dvd so they get distracted. Ask your Dr about other choices... Even if child has pacifier and has medicine going just into nose...Once they see it isn't so scary, you can get it closer to face the next time. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics