Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Chips in toaster oven

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 6:37 am
what setting should I put it on?

bake- didnt bake well.

grill?
roast?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 5:04 am
bump

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 5:39 am
I mean fries - dont know how to change the title

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:15 am
Toaster ovens are very fickle. What are your other options? You can put them in a frying pan with a light spray of olive oil

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:27 am
I always think that alternates to foods that are unhealthy just taste sad to me. It might not be your toaster oven. Maybe consider cooking your potatoes in a different way that won’t taste sad when they aren’t the way you really want them to be but will taste good on their own.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:00 am
A toaster oven is not an ideal way to cook fries.

The reason is that they are too small and so you can only cook a limited quantity. To get "crisp" result they have to be spaced out because otherwise they will steam and cook unevenly.

The reality is that you can really only cook a portion for one or maybe two modest size portions in a standard toaster oven.

A regular oven is larger and the pan you use would have more space between the fries. The compartment itself is also larger so that the air circulates AND the atmosphere isn't as damp. In the small interior of a toaster oven there is less ability for the water that comes from the potatoes to dissipate.

That is why toaster ovens are great for certain purposes but are limited.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:27 am
[quote="Amarante"]A toaster oven is not an ideal way to cook fries.

The reason is that they are too small and so you can only cook a limited quantity. To get "crisp" result they have to be spaced out because otherwise they will steam and cook unevenly.

The reality is that you can really only cook a portion for one or maybe two modest size portions in a standard toaster oven.

A regular oven is larger and the pan you use would have more space between the fries. The compartment itself is also larger so that the air circulates AND the atmosphere isn't as damp. In the small interior of a toaster oven there is less ability for the water that comes from the potatoes to dissipate.

That is why toaster ovens are great for certain purposes but are limited.[/quote

thanks.

I bought it specially to able to bake dairy rugelach,cookies made with butter, cheesecake, pizza.(dont havea regular dairy oven) I saw so many imamothers so happy with their toaster ovens. I hope its good for all these things...

also if there isnt as much air circulating why does a betty crocker work for fries when there is hardly any air circulating?

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:34 am
You can cook fries successfully in a toaster oven but you need to cook in small batches. If your fries aren't crisping up the most likely issue is that you had too many on the pan and they weren't spread out sufficiently and the interior became too moist.

I don't have a Betty Crocker so I don't know what the results are like. I suspect it is because the fries are distributed on the lower pan with space in between and there is a top layer so there is a lot of heat from both sides versus cooking in a standard pan with the top open

Your results with other stuff will also vary because of the small size of the interior. You can cook a few cookies (small batch) successfully and a small pizza that fits inside.

I have never tried to cook a cheesecake in a toaster oven but my recipe for cheesecake is pretty specific as I use a water bath so that it cooks slowly with creamy results. Of course there are all kinds of cheesecakes I have learned but the cheesecakes I make are the classic New York style that are typically made in a springform pan.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:38 am
Amarante wrote:
You can cook fries successfully in a toaster oven but you need to cook in small batches. If your fries aren't crisping up the most likely issue is that you had too many on the pan and they weren't spread out sufficiently and the interior became too moist.

I don't have a Betty Crocker so I don't know what the results are like.

Your results with other stuff will also vary because of the small size of the interior. You can cook a few cookies (small batch) successfully and a small pizza that fits inside.

I have never tried to cook a cheesecake in a toaster oven but my recipe for cheesecake is pretty specific as I use a water bath so that it cooks slowly with creamy results. Of course there are all kinds of cheesecakes I have learned but the cheesecakes I make are the classic New York style that are typically made in a springform pan.

yeah, I knew when I bought it that I can only do small quantities, but its better than no milky oven at all. my main concern now is that even small batches of cookies, etc should come out good.

I did a small pan of fries, filled the tray that came with the oven spread out but still took forever and was burning...I put in on a bake setting.

I have a few diff settings,

bake
cookies
grill
crumpet
roast

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:44 am
You need to experiment to find out the tricks of your individual model.

Generally speaking, with toaster ovens the food is much closer to the heating element, because it is so much smaller. That means a higher risk of it burning. Putting the tray lower down, if you have that option, or placing a sheet of foil loosely over the food to deflect the heat can help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise