Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
School is starting dc doesn’t want to be toilet trained

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:50 pm
So school is starting in a couple of weeks and my son refuses the toilet and potty. He understands what needs to happen but has zero interest. What do I do? He cannot go to cheder with a diaper and not sending him is not an option.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:55 pm
Maybe the school environment will put it in a different light. Some kids use the toilet at school before they'll do it at home.

That's all I can say, since he has no interest and he has to go to school. That sounds impossible if these are both truly absolute. You can't force this.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 12:59 pm
I had this issue nothing would work she would just scream no. When I was at work, my husband decided he would try with the sticker method and she went for it.

I wonder if with me it was becoming a power struggle and with him it was a blank slate.

Last edited by mha3484 on Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:06 pm
I'm in the same boat except my son will pee but not poo in the toilet. When he has to poo he tells me "I need a diaper, I have to poo", and if I refuse to put him in a diaper he poos in his pants.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:22 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I had this issue nothing would work she would just scream no. When I was at work, my husband decided he would try with the sticker method and she went for it.

I wonder if with me it was becoming a power struggle and with him it was a blank slate.

Hmm. Maybe I should be asking my husband or one of my other children to take over for few hours to see if there’s a difference. Thanks

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:23 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
I'm in the same boat except my son will pee but not poo in the toilet. When he has to poo he tells me "I need a diaper, I have to poo", and if I refuse to put him in a diaper he poos in his pants.

He hasn’t gotten the poo thing yet but I’m not concerned. Because even when he was in playgroup he waited till he came home.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:38 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:

Time to watch Super nanny "3 year old won't be potty trained"

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 1:43 pm
child potty seat that attaches to the toilet, it's a regular seat just a bit smaller. My kids were afraid of falling in - it actually happened a lot!

Stool softeners. Made a big difference - kid didn't need to spend a lot of time pushing, wasn't uncomfortable. highly recommend colace if your kid is the least bit constipated.

Also chocolate. Chocolate chip/m&m/melt every time they went #2 on the potty. And announcing their success in the house and playing their favorite song and dancing to it as a family. Silly, fun, yummy, thankfully it worked fast.

Then after a week of success we went shopping and bought "big kid" undies. And sticker prizes and made a party. And donated the leftover diapers to the local frum childcare center.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:19 pm
amother Currant wrote:

Oy vey. I can guess.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 2:32 pm
Put child in a long shirt - and no underwear, pants or socks.

Yummy treats - m & m's or jellly beans, taffies.

Go to store with DS and pick out a special toy - like a train set,

Take a Picture of the toy and hang the picture up on a wall or fridge.

Tell DS when he goes 3 days without an accident, you will buy him the special toy.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 9:36 am
I had this with my son, I could not get him trained at home, he was well over 3. But I knew he could do it if he wanted to most of the time. So for camp I put undies on him, send 3 extra sets of bottoms and prayed for the best.
It worked he had a accident here or there like any newly trained child, BH the counselors were understanding and didn’t mind.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 9:45 am
Leave him naked at home. That usually works like a charm.

metacognizant

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 3:03 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Put child in a long shirt - and no underwear, pants or socks.

Yummy treats - m & m's or jellly beans, taffies.

Go to store with DS and pick out a special toy - like a train set,

Take a Picture of the toy and hang the picture up on a wall or fridge.

Tell DS when he goes 3 days without an accident, you will buy him the special toy.

NOOOOOOOO! Do not reward for “going without an accident.” You will encourage your child to hold in their pee or poop, with TERRIBLE consequences!!!!! The rest is fine, but reward the DESIRED behavior (*using* the potty) while ignoring the undesired behavior (peeing or pooping elsewhere).

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 5:08 am
amother Currant wrote:

I couldn't find the full episode. What does the Nanny do?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training