Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
ISO Book to Listen To - Long Trip

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:15 pm
Dh and I are going on a long road trip tomorrow and are looking for an audiobook we'll both enjoy.

My genres: nonfiction, memoir, occasionally historical fiction

My dh genres: fantasy, science fiction, occasionally historical fiction as well.

Any books that would appeal to both of us? I know I listed historical fiction for both but in reality we don't like a lot of what's available.

We're both flexible, it should just be an interesting book. The last book we agreed on was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 5:36 pm
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek (historical fiction)
Where the Crawdads Sing (amazing book)
Jurassic Park (this is a fascinating book)
The Hunger Games
The Stand (Stephen King. It’s long but very good)
The First Girl Child by Amy Harmon

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:39 pm
Thank you!!

We're both big fans of Hunger Games Smile

We might go for Jurassic Park.

Re Where the Crawdads Sing - how would you describe the cleanliness level? We don't need squeaky clean but def don't want a book with lots of sx scenes etc.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:47 pm
Where the crawdads sing is such a terrific book but it does have a few rather explicit scenes. So I’m not sure if you’ll want that one.
Jurassic Park is so great because it’s presented as so realistic and possible. I loved it.

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:52 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Where the crawdads sing is such a terrific book but it does have a few rather explicit scenes. So I’m not sure if you’ll want that one.
Jurassic Park is so great because it’s presented as so realistic and possible. I loved it.

Thanks!

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 6:08 am
Bump anyone else before we leave?

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 6:15 am
Did you do The help? Sounds like that would meet both of your criterias. Also I don't know how to link other threads, but if you search the reading room you should find other threads with people looking for nonfiction or historical fiction books to read.
ETA the woman who they could not silence by Kate Moore was an incredible read! I really enjoyed it a lot! And I don't usually read that type of genre.

scruffy

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 6:27 am
Coke Slurpee wrote:
Did you do The help? Sounds like that would meet both of your criterias. Also I don't know how to link other threads, but if you search the reading room you should find other threads with people looking for nonfiction or historical fiction books to read.
ETA the woman who they could not silence by Kate Moore was an incredible read! I really enjoyed it a lot! And I don't usually read that type of genre.

Yes we did The Help. It was great!

Just looked up The Woman They Could Not Silence - it sounds right up my alley! I would just have to convince my dh to give it a try;)

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:02 am
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:23 pm
Op I don’t know if I’m too late but I’m in the middle of listening to a fascinating book called Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I think it would be perfect.

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:57 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Op I don’t know if I’m too late but I’m in the middle of listening to a fascinating book called Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I think it would be perfect.

Just wanted to tell you thank you so much for this recommendation! We didn't listen to it at the time, but I had it on my to read list and just finished it. I've never read anything quite like it.

Machel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:11 pm
The Martian by Andy Weir
Hidden Figures by Margo Shetterly
Wicked by Gregory McGuire

My husband and I have the same problem every time we need to pick something to listen to in the car.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 6:27 am
scruffy wrote:
Just wanted to tell you thank you so much for this recommendation! We didn't listen to it at the time, but I had it on my to read list and just finished it. I've never read anything quite like it.

I’m so happy to hear! Thanks for that update. I was totally absorbed in that book when I was listening. My whole family heard all about it! You may also enjoy Jurassic Park.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 6:37 am
Two other books you might enjoy are:
The World Played Chess
American Dirt

I say this because they are so well written that you think they must be true but they are fiction.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 6:41 am
Vengeance by George Jonas. About Mossad revenge on Munich. It's excellent and will appeal to both your genres. My husband and I both enjoyed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics