Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Community Ideas
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:20 pm
My family is looking to relocate. I'm wondering if there is any community that we haven't yet thought of... So if anyone has ideas for what would fit our family, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

My kids currently go to Yiddish-speaking schools, but English won't be an issue aside from my son, who doesn't yet have proficient grasp of English. I do want him to learn it soon enough, though.

They've been raised in the non-Chabad world, but we would be very happy to send them to Chabad schools that cater mostly to the already frum crowd. I'm not sure what options we have.

A mixed community of all different types of Jews would be amazing, but taking into account the chasidish/Yiddish background for my kids comfortability is important. That automatically limits us. A JPF community probably won't be a good fit. A strong Chabad community will probably fit us well.

Next issue: We can't stand heat. We need mild temps.

One more issue: We're kind of spoiled in terms of living situation. We have a huge beautiful house and downgrading would be hard for us at this point. We'd like a large, upscale house, preferably with a pool and shady property, within walking distance to a shul.

It's a bit of a hard combo, but if you know of something that might be a good fit, please, please do share.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
My family is looking to relocate. I'm wondering if there is any community that we haven't yet thought of... So if anyone has ideas for what would fit our family, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

My kids currently go to Yiddish-speaking schools, but English won't be an issue aside from my son, who doesn't yet have proficient grasp of English. I do want him to learn it soon enough, though.

They've been raised in the non-Chabad world, but we would be very happy to send them to Chabad schools that cater mostly to the already frum crowd. I'm not sure what options we have.

A mixed community of all different types of Jews would be amazing, but taking into account the chasidish/Yiddish background for my kids comfortability is important. That automatically limits us. A JPF community probably won't be a good fit. A strong Chabad community will probably fit us well.

Next issue: We can't stand heat. We need mild temps.

One more issue: We're kind of spoiled in terms of living situation. We have a huge beautiful house and downgrading would be hard for us at this point. We'd like a large, upscale house, preferably with a pool and shady property, within walking distance to a shul.

It's a bit of a hard combo, but if you know of something that might be a good fit, please, please do share.

Kingston, PA has a chabad community

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:27 pm
Chicago fits this description almost to a tee but housing prices have gone a little crazy the past few years. Pools are not really a thing here but there is a lot of green space if you like nature.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:33 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Kingston, PA has a chabad community

I actually know of someone who is moving there.

Can you tell me which areas to look in? Which streets? Thanks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:34 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago fits this description almost to a tee but housing prices have gone a little crazy the past few years. Pools are not really a thing here but there is a lot of green space if you like nature.

Same as above. Can you tell me which areas to look into?

Also schools and mesivtas. Are there any that might be a good fit?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:37 pm
Also, regarding Chicago, are there houses in the frum areas with large properties or it very sububurn, like Boro Park? I really want my own large private yard. I'm not trying to be spoiled, but I grew up on acreage, and I gave that up to become frum. Now I want to have land. It is very calming to me.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:39 pm
West Rogers Park ideally the streets between Pratt and Devon. But the whole community starts at Howard street and ends at Peterson.

Veitzner Cheder also called Yeshiva ohr Boruch is a Yiddish speaking cheder. There is also Cheder Lubavich which is not a kiruv school. Girls go to Bais Yaakov. We have a really nice mix of all types here.

My lot is .11 of an acre and the park next door is basically my back yard. Hi if anyone knows me lol.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also, regarding Chicago, are there houses in the frum areas with large properties or it very sububurn, like Boro Park? I really want my own large private yard. I'm not trying to be spoiled, but I grew up on acreage, and I gave that up to become frum. Now I want to have land. It is very calming to me.

The only communites I can think of with that much land are monsey and the Lakewood areas.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:56 pm
mha3484 wrote:
West Rogers Park ideally the streets between Pratt and Devon. But the whole community starts at Howard street and ends at Peterson.

Veitzner Cheder also called Yeshiva ohr Boruch is a Yiddish speaking cheder. There is also Cheder Lubavich which is not a kiruv school. Girls go to Bais Yaakov. We have a really nice mix of all types here.

My lot is .11 of an acre and the park next door is basically my back yard. Hi if anyone knows me lol.

Thanks, going to peek at Zillow. If interesting, I might just make a pilot trip. Smile

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:58 pm
Also lots of BTs. If you come check out rabbi twerskys shul
Khal Chassidim.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I grew up there. I thought between Pratt and touhy. Is more popular these days.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:05 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
I grew up there. I thought between Pratt and touhy. Is more popular these days.

Pratt and Devon is more yeshivish/chasdish. South of devon by R Eichenstein has the chasidish kollel people.

Between pratt and touhy is a big mix of ages and types.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Meh. I'm sure it's a lovely community but looks a little city for me.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:07 pm
Monsey and lakewood are the only places I can think of with yiddish speakers and a lot of acreage. I think any other place will be urban or semi urban.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Also lots of BTs. If you come check out rabbi twerskys shul
Khal Chassidim.

A Twersky community sounds really nice, but I want nice land also... *sigh* There's got to be a place for us...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Monsey and lakewood are the only places I can think of with yiddish speakers and a lot of acreage. I think any other place will be urban or semi urban.

Yeah. I'm very familiar with Monsey. Going to look into Lakewood, though I never thought I'd be heading that way... Thanks for the info.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:11 pm
I can think of cities with a lot of land but no yiddish speakers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:12 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I can think of cities with a lot of land but no yiddish speakers.

A good frum strong non-meshichist Chabad community would be okay too.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yeah. I'm very familiar with Monsey. Going to look into Lakewood, though I never thought I'd be heading that way... Thanks for the info.

Check Jackson, Toms River and Howell (Lakewood area) for larger lots with more acreage.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:16 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Check Jackson, Toms River and Howell (Lakewood area) for larger lots with more acreage.

I've been looking at those today. Jackson sounds like an idea.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating