Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby led weaning NEW QUESTION
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 10:21 am
amother RosePink wrote:
what kind of things do you serve for breakfast for 12 month olds?

omelet cut up into pieces

yogurt and banana or peach slices

rice crispies or cheerios in milk (I let it sit for 5 min till soggy)

fruit smoothies (strawberry, blueberry, and milk or plain yogurt)

oatmeal (some people mix applesauce into it)

pancakes (WW flour, honey, egg, and banana)

cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes

in a pinch rice cakes with peanut butter

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 11:36 am
Can people give ideas of what to serve a six month old who only had purées until this point? Also, how many times a day do you serve food as opposed to bottles?

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 11:37 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
omelet cut up into pieces

yogurt and banana or peach slices

rice crispies or cheerios in milk (I let it sit for 5 min till soggy)

fruit smoothies (strawberry, blueberry, and milk or plain yogurt)

oatmeal (some people mix applesauce into it)

pancakes (WW flour, honey, egg, and banana)

cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes

in a pinch rice cakes with peanut butter

thanks a lot for this! The things that require spoons you just place the bowl and spoon on the tray? Or you load the spoon?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 5:03 pm
I heard it's very important for baby to have a flat space to keep feet while eating
My highchair does not have this feature...

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I heard it's very important for baby to have a flat space to keep feet while eating
My highchair does not have this feature...

mine doesn't either. I've been thinking if I should get such an add on piece.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 6:02 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Can people give ideas of what to serve a six month old who only had purées until this point? Also, how many times a day do you serve food as opposed to bottles?

Food is in addition to bottles not instead of. You should give bottles first and food after. At 6 months you can give anything. This is the age baby led weaning starts. Google it to get ideas. You basically cut food into finger length strips and give baby everything you eat.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 6:03 pm
Reminder babies can't have honey before 1 even if it's cooked so make sure it's not an ingredient in your food

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 6:13 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:

I serve food to 6 month olds only once a day, but some people do more. Personal preference. You should serve food about half an hour after a bottle feeding so that baby isn't really hungry.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 7:59 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I serve food to 6 month olds only once a day, but some people do more. Personal preference. You should serve food about half an hour after a bottle feeding so that baby isn't really hungry.

Why don't you want baby to be hungry?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:04 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
mine doesn't either. I've been thinking if I should get such an add on piece.

What do all the experienceed blw moms says about this?
To clarify there is a foot rest but it's more of a bar kind of thing not flat and lower down for when baby is taller

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why don't you want baby to be hungry?

Because the bulk of their nutrition should still come from milk. 6-7 months is the age of starting to explore--and to get a bit of extra iron and zinc, some people are worried about that. But milk is still so primary that we want to avoid replacing any milk feedings.

And besides, hunger can frustrate a BLW beginner.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:07 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Because the bulk of their nutrition should still come from milk. 6-7 months is the age of starting to explore--and to get a bit of extra iron and zinc, some people are worried about that. But milk is still so primary that we want to avoid replacing any milk feedings.

And besides, hunger can frustrate a BLW beginner.

Got it thank you, does it happen though that baby isn't so interested in exploring bc isn't hungry?... I mean baby does put toys and fingers in mouth all the time now (not yet 6 mos) even when not hungry so I guess it's the same... Is it?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Got it thank you, does it happen though that baby isn't so interested in exploring bc isn't hungry?... I mean baby does put toys and fingers in mouth all the time now (not yet 6 mos) even when not hungry so I guess it's the same... Is it?

That's why you don't serve the solids immediately, but wait about half an hour. But different babies have different personalities. I think it's fun to watch how they respond!

My daughter had never showed interest in food in particular but she immediately put the different kinds of food in her mouth and tasted them. There were no expressions of joy or disgust, it was all very purposeful. No food was swallowed the first day, only spices. The next day she had softer food and ate some.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
To clarify there is a foot rest but it's more of a bar kind of thing not flat and lower down for when baby is taller

Foot rest is not essential but encourages optimal eating posture, especially relevant when baby gags.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 7:39 am
what do you do when baby wants a specific food for example I gave last night carrots, squash and chicken from the soup. One baby only ate the carrots and didn't really touch the squash or chicken. Would you give more carrots so that at least they fill up one food?

Also are snacks supposed to be a protein carb plus vegetable?

If I'm gonna cut out the 2 bottles by day I probably need to replace it with substancial snack

What are some snack ideas?

Thanks a lot for the advice here - you imas know a lot!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Aug 19 2022, 8:03 am
So for the first few months, at least, solids are not replacing breastmilk or formula. Babies are not getting "full" from solids at that point, nor are they supposed to be getting the nutrition that they need from the solids. It's more just getting them used to different tastes and textures.

Because of this I don't expect them to eat a "well-rounded meal" at that point. Honestly, even at the point where they are older and are getting their nutrition from solids, I look at their nutrition over the course of a day or even a week, rather than over the course of a meal.

For example, one day my baby might decide to eat only carrots, but nothing else. (And yes, I'd give her more if she wants.) The next morning she might eat some egg. For a snack, she might have some cucumber and a peach. For dinner that night, she might decide to only eat meatballs, but ignore the spaghetti and green beans. Over the course of the day, she's had a "full meal," so I'm satisfied.

And if she only ate green beans that night and hadn't had protein in 24 hours, that's fine too. Because I know that yesterday she ate some protein and probably tomorrow she will...it's really fine, no stress. The best way to make your kids into good eaters is NOT to force food on them, just to let them eat what they want from the choices that you give them. Look up "division of responsibility in eating" -- your job is to offer them healthy food, their job is to choose what and how much to eat. (If you have a kid who doesn't eat ANY vegetables or ANY protein or something, that's a different situation. But a typical kid will eat some of each over the course of a week.)

Note that some of my kids ate a LOT of solids from the start. Others were mostly gumming them or even spitting them out, and didn't really consume more than a few mouthfuls, if that. That's okay, and normal.

Snack ideas -- I always defaulted to sliced fruits and veggies, just becuase they're easy. Or leftovers from the night before or from a previous meal. But really they don't need three meals plus snacks for a while. You give one meal, or two, or three -- but the difference between "meal" and "snack" isn't firm at that age. So thinly spread peanut butter (because thick is a choking hazard) on whole grain crackers or rice cakes, or canned chickpeas/beans (smashed between your fingers a bit if she's an early BLWer), or even some leftover chicken -- it's all fair game.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 8:14 am
thanks for all the info, AlwaysGrateful it's really helpful!

My question is this:

I cut out the 2 day bottles for my babies - they are almost 12 months. But how do I know they're not hungry?

That's why I asked about snacks. I used to give them a bottle as soon as they woke up from their nap (still on 2 naps) and later was the meal. But if I'm cutting the bottles, they wake up from first nap at 10:15 will an apple do it till lunchtime? That's why I feel like I need to give them more for snack like proper protein plus veg/ or fruit? Because an apple doesn't fill them up the way a bottle would.

Or do they eat less at this age?

I keep second guessing whether they're hungry

But serving 3 proper meals plust 2 snack meals... is kind of hard!

eta: they're still getting a bottle at morning and at night before bed. Maybe I shouldn't be cutting out day bottles? They are eating nicely solids though one better then the other...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:01 am
Wow, I didn't realize the babies you were talking about were so old! Totally different situation. At this point, you're not doing baby-led weaning, you're trying to actually transition them fully to solid foods.

I think you're overthinking things here. Hungry toddlers are generally fussy toddlers. Unless they're not gaining enough weight (as per your pediatrician), and they're happy, you don't need to worry about whether they're getting enough food.

An apple is fine for a snack if they're getting three solid meals. If they don't eat protein at one meal, that's fine. Anxiety about your kids eating is the primary way to create a picky eater. Make sure they don't pick up on any anxiety that you have, and just move on with your day. If you start to see a pattern (baby A never eats chicken for dinner and is kvetchy afterwards or doesn't sleep well), you can change things without making it obvious to the kids that you're reacting to them not eating (when you're serving chicken for dinner, serve canned drained chickpeas also, which Baby A likes and will eat, so that you know you have something to fill him up). Don't make a big deal about him not eating chicken, keep on offering, and often you'll see that he'll come around to liking it months later.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:01 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Wow, I didn't realize the babies you were talking about were so old! Totally different situation. At this point, you're not doing baby-led weaning, you're trying to actually transition them fully to solid foods.

I think you're overthinking things here. Hungry toddlers are generally fussy toddlers. Unless they're not gaining enough weight (as per your pediatrician), and they're happy, you don't need to worry about whether they're getting enough food.

An apple is fine for a snack if they're getting three solid meals. If they don't eat protein at one meal, that's fine. Anxiety about your kids eating is the primary way to create a picky eater. Make sure they don't pick up on any anxiety that you have, and just move on with your day. If you start to see a pattern (baby A never eats chicken for dinner and is kvetchy afterwards or doesn't sleep well), you can change things without making it obvious to the kids that you're reacting to them not eating (when you're serving chicken for dinner, serve canned drained chickpeas also, which Baby A likes and will eat, so that you know you have something to fill him up). Don't make a big deal about him not eating chicken, keep on offering, and often you'll see that he'll come around to liking it months later.

right, ok, I was going to do baby led weaning but then I ended up doing a combined approach because of one baby's feeding difficulties. So yeah I didn't know this wouldn't be called anymore baby led weaning at this age.

Thanks for the reassurance! yes I probably am overthinking! It's a transition for me lol

How would I know when to cut out the rest of the bottles too? I know some people keep bottles till like 1.5 or even later though I don't think they'll need it...

challah58

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 11:28 am
amother OP wrote:

I'd actually argue that the high chair is the most important thing to think about for blw. Imagine yourself trying to eat at the table, but your chair is reclined back, the table is taller than your arms naturally reach, and your legs are just hanging. You can't reach the food on the table without straining forward and not having a place to rest/brace your feet makes you feel unbalanced and tire easily. For a baby being spoon fed purees, there's nothing really problematic with a typical high chair, but if I'm expecting my baby to have the patience and energy to feed independently and try new things (and hopefully be excited about it), I definitely want to make sure she's comfy and fits well.
Also really didn't feel like spending hundreds, so we ended up with an inexpensive booster seat strapped onto one of our chairs. Baby isn't swimming in it, sits up properly and can rest her feet on the chair. She loves eating BH!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics